Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'98 V70 T5: System too rich, Throttle Sensor & ODB data

Views : 1861

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2020, 13:34   #11
Clogs
Clogs

Default Long term and short term fuel trim

LTFT 3.9% all the time, STFT 0% on idle and then to -2.4% and back to 0% as revs increase... everything is OK!
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2020, 16:53   #12
Distendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
However, if there are any stray sparks around this could be a potential fire risk, with amusing consequences.
Yes, that 'no eyebrows' scenario was the first thing that occurred to me when the man said "propane", and I really should have declared that reservation when I promoted the idea!

So thank you for pointing out the 'obvious to some but not reliably to all'.
Old May 21st, 2020, 20:18   #13
Distendo

OK, so I changed the Throttle Position Sensor for a new one (I was going to check the voltages in the plug, so thought I might as well change the sensor while I was at it).

On removal, the TPS itself seemed fine, changing resistance incrementally as the bush was rotated.

I checked the voltages connecting the -ve on the meter to battery -ve, and found found all three terminals were +ve live. Like a dummy I didn't note down the actual voltages, but as I recall they were more than 5v. I'd have expected one of the terminals to be connected to -ve ground (so no voltage differential).

Later, I took meter readings being between each of the contacts within the disconnected TPS plug, ignition on (see diagram, looking at contacts within plug), the voltages* (and polarity relative to one another) were as follows:

Voltage between terminals A/B: A- B+ 7.6 volts
Voltage between terminals A/C: A+ C- 3.06 volts
Voltage between terminals B/C: B+ C- 10.7 volts* (battery was duff @10.7 volts, see below)

Does any of this mean anything to anyone?

Replacing the TPS made little difference, as I understand is often the case, the actual issue tending to be elsewhere, possibly in the wiring, or even the ECU... I did check the throttle body to make sure the vane is closing properly.

It starts ok, but the cold idle is a bit rough. When it's warm, it idles ok-ish (some slight hunting), and the short and long term fuel trims hover around 0% @ about 1,500 rpm.

When I say it made no difference, one difference is that the orange arrow warning light and the 'W' transmission mode selector both started flashing... (I did the 'rapidly moving the selector through all positions' thing, in case it was the pnp switch.)

The only other thing I did at the same time was replace the battery (*10.7 volts after many hours charging) with a new one.

I'll understand this becoming rather tedious to anyone otherwise inclined to help, but any pointers welcomed.

I'm just wondering when my local Volvo indie service chaps will unlock themselves up, so I can pass the buck tho them...
Attached Images
File Type: gif TPS_sensor-plug.gif (6.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Distendo; May 21st, 2020 at 20:22.
Distendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 21:15   #14
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Distendo,

I haven't been following the thread in detail, but can you tell us what the current problems are (are any codes set) and what you did for the cylinder head refurb? It may be relevant.

Did you check the one way valves that andrewc1267 mentioned?

Thanks
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; May 21st, 2020 at 21:19.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2020, 11:42   #15
Distendo

Hello Steve,

I just checked in with a mind to write "Ignore that last post" (or delete it if no views), as I think my info-gathering was shabby*, but since you've (again) been kind enough to take an interest, here goes...

(*I am thinking of re-measuring those TPS voltages again, now I have a good battery in the wagon, so the readings are more sensible. I'm assuming the TPS itself is not the problem.)

No, I haven't checked those valves yet: I've looked at info on them, and found a similar-looking item on Skandix, and the ones I think andrewc1267 recommended for sale on Ebay, but which appear to be for fuel rather than gas (air).

The cylinder head job was to replace a burnt-out exhast valve. In fact I replaced all of them, with new seals (in & ex), and all gaskets, all with Volvo original parts throughout (the PCV was a quality alternative). The cyl head was skimmed (and treated with kid gloves). The cyl block was carefully cleaned (Scotchbrite & acetone), etc.

On first start it fired up perfectly, then conked out after a few minutes. Turned out the ignition coil hadn't coped with the car standing still outdoors over winter. When replaced, it ran beautifully (better than before) for around 40 miles out-of-town test jaunt, until I hit a small bump in the road, when the lambda light came on.

I rather suspect some dodgy connector, perhaps at the ECU, which was/got damp during the winter and so developed some corrosion, so was thinking of (disconnecting the battery and leaving it a while before) removing the ECU and cleaning the connections there: since the MAP & MAF sensors appear congruent, and the fuel trims (I believe) are ok, but that weird transmission error code suddenly appeared (after the new battery was fitted [the transmission, btw, was refurbished to near new condition 3 years ago]), I'm thinking all these could be explained by duff signals to/from the ecu, and that cleaning its contacts might not be such a bad idea before suspecting/replacing anything else.

Having said that, I will order a couple replacement one-way valves (not least because doing so has been recommended, they're cheap, and not so difficult to fit [probably...]). I was thinking of going for the Skandix ones, but would welcome any observations as to which (i.e. or the Ebay aluminium jobs) are the most convincing.

Once again, Steve, thanks for taking an interest. Having painstakingly gotten this faithful wagon so near back to working order (having heeded invaluable advice from this forum), these glitches are dispiriting.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 13:23   #16
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc1267 View Post
I had the Same issue on my v70r it turned out to be the two one way valves on the intake system I replaced with aluminium check valves from Ebay for a 5 quid each as Volvo said that they had discontinued them

Wot he said. Mine was also pre-cat 02 sensor AND temperature sensor. It took a long time to rid mine of the dreaded 0172 code, but a combination of all three did it.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2020, 15:28   #17
Distendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1970 View Post
Wot he said. Mine was also pre-cat 02 sensor AND temperature sensor. It took a long time to rid mine of the dreaded 0172 code, but a combination of all three did it.
Thanks sdg1970, noted.

Would you go for the Ebay valves (or is there a more appropriate component?), or the Skandix?
Old May 22nd, 2020, 15:59   #18
PNuT
MaDMaN

You need an evap system delete.. two bolts will do!
Old May 22nd, 2020, 16:21   #19
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distendo View Post
Thanks sdg1970, noted.

Would you go for the Ebay valves (or is there a more appropriate component?), or the Skandix?
Yap I bought mine off Ebay, they were around two quid each. That was 18 months ago and they've not given any problems since. I also replaced all the vac hoses that goes in/out of the valves with a combination of 8 & 10mm silicone hose.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2020, 16:33   #20
Distendo

Huh?

One bolt for either side of my neck, perhaps?

Ok, so I've had a quick look for 'evap system', which appears to possibly be something under the rear end near the fuel tank for keeping fumes at bay. The only thing I found on 'deleting' it seemed to involve removing a small gadget from the engine and blocking the hole(s) it came from.

I have 0 idea how we got to the evap system from the lambda and flashing arrow lights...