Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

injector removal

Views : 5626

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2010, 21:44   #1
41 shoral

Question injector removal

Hi I am attempting to remove 2 injectors from my 03 V70D5 for replacement. I managed to remove the 2 torq bolts from each injector clamp as well as the pipes but seem unable to lever up the injectors. Presumably they are seized with carbon etc. Is there a special tool available or anybody made a puller or something. Haynes shows them being levered up. BUT this is probably on a new car. Any help appreciated.
41 shoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 23:31   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

depends how stuck the are i have just replaced mine and had to move them sided to side and pull. if that does not do it then a puller.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 23:45   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

your dealer has a slide hammer puller which will do it , If yours have been leaking a long time and are siezed , he will have a bigger slide hammer , but the top of the injector will have to come off to screw it on .. this will destroy the injector but at least get it out .. Best never to neglect a leaking injector whether it is fuel or combustion gas . Generaly injectors dont sieze in a D5 ..
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 19:14   #4
Brando26

Default Newbie question

When changing injectors, what do I need to consider? Can I just buy a working one from Ebay and replace the faulty one?
Brando26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 23:10   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando26 View Post
When changing injectors, what do I need to consider? Can I just buy a working one from Ebay and replace the faulty one?
There are different "Class" numbers on top 1 2 3 something like that . Match them to yours , you can program a non matching number with VIDA .
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 23:34   #6
electrocoolman

Hi 41Shoral.
I had to replace one injector in my V70D5 2003 earlier this year. Here is the method I used:
Presuming your engine still runs - you will need to refit your injection pipes and clamps that you have removed.
First brush around the injector "well" and use compressed air to remove any crud, grit etc from the area.
Then flood the well with penetrating oil (e.g. PlusGas) and leave (preferably) overnight. This will soak down the sides of the injector.
Slacken the clamp screws one /two turns such that the clamp is just loose.
Start the engine (or turn over on starter motor). The idea is to use the cylinder compression to blow the injector loose.
Worked for me - hopefully for you too.

Adrian
electrocoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 23:57   #7
electrocoolman

Hi Brando26,

I would be wary of buying one off eBay, unless you have a return policy from the seller.
I think that most injectors get replaced for excessive diesel leakback, and although they are an exchange item (with Volvo), the 'deposit' often equals the cheap price you see against some injectors on eBay.
I afraid I bit the bullet, and splashed out for one from Volvo (£300+) but it came with all the necessary extras (copper washer, clamp, retaining snap ring, new mounting screws and new pipe). Worked straight out the box!

As CLAN says you need to get the correct 'code' which is on the top of the injector (a number within a circle).

There's a lot of info on this forum if you search for it.
electrocoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:10   #8
jrgbmwcraze

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrocoolman View Post
Hi Brando26,

I would be wary of buying one off eBay, unless you have a return policy from the seller.
I think that most injectors get replaced for excessive diesel leakback, and although they are an exchange item (with Volvo), the 'deposit' often equals the cheap price you see against some injectors on eBay.
I afraid I bit the bullet, and splashed out for one from Volvo (£300+) but it came with all the necessary extras (copper washer, clamp, retaining snap ring, new mounting screws and new pipe). Worked straight out the box!

As CLAN says you need to get the correct 'code' which is on the top of the injector (a number within a circle).

There's a lot of info on this forum if you search for it.
Hi, once you change the injectors, do you have to reprogramme them to the ECU?
jrgbmwcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:55   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgbmwcraze View Post
Hi, once you change the injectors, do you have to reprogramme them to the ECU?
yes you do to ensure accurate calibration .