Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just got my S40 D5 remap!

Views : 4296

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2018, 16:14   #1
parallaxerr

Default Just got my S40 D5 remap!

So I ordered a RICA IsoftLoader with stage 1 tune on Tuesday and it dropped on to my desk about an hour ago. Followed all the instructions and received my map from the RICA server within a minute

Uploaded to car - that was a bit scary. All the bells and whistles went off momentarily, failed this, failed that, but once the upload completed all returned to normal.

Just got 16mins to wait until home time now to see if I can feel the extra ponies. Mines an auto so gone from 177hp to 215hp and 350NM to 420NM torque, supposedly.
parallaxerr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to parallaxerr For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 20:18   #2
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Do update us......
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 21:20   #3
steadvex
Master Member

I'll be impressed if you don't notice the difference!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 09:28   #4
parallaxerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
Do update us......
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
I'll be impressed if you don't notice the difference!
Well I definitely have noticed a difference!

My past experience of remaps has mainly been with petrol turbos. When the power kicked in after the turbo lag, there was always that wow feeling as you came on boost.

A bit different with the D5 though. Of course, unlike a petrol of equal capacity, it inherently has bucket loads of low down torque so turbo lag is less pronounced and I find the transition between the torque and power curve very subtle. The delivery is very linear.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it just goes like stink from the off and continues to do so right to the red line, no lumps, bumps, surges or lag!

Very happy with the result The scary part is how fast the speedo gets to the wrong side of the speed limit!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parallaxerr For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 15:01   #5
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Glad you're pleased with your new remap thus far

Sorry to sound a note of caution, but there's a reason that on the factory maps, the D5 auto in these cars was limited to 350nm torque (and I believe also further limited in the low gears) where the manual was allowed to make 400nm. The 5-speed Geartronic box is unfortunately just not up to the job of handling large amounts of stress on a regular basis.

You only have to look at its record in the XC90, where autobox failures are legendary - especially so with the T6 petrol, but you also see lots of adverts for D5 spares/repairs with failed autoboxes. The combination of torque and weight of that car shortens the 'box service life to as little as 60k miles. Obviously the S40 weighs about a ton less than the XC90, but given the factory map limits, it might be wise to stay in the upper half of the throttle in the midrange for the most part.

Best of luck and I hope you can find the different progression of your new map as enjoyable as the outright grunt.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Proghound For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:52   #6
parallaxerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
Glad you're pleased with your new remap thus far

Sorry to sound a note of caution, but there's a reason that on the factory maps, the D5 auto in these cars was limited to 350nm torque (and I believe also further limited in the low gears) where the manual was allowed to make 400nm. The 5-speed Geartronic box is unfortunately just not up to the job of handling large amounts of stress on a regular basis.

You only have to look at its record in the XC90, where autobox failures are legendary - especially so with the T6 petrol, but you also see lots of adverts for D5 spares/repairs with failed autoboxes. The combination of torque and weight of that car shortens the 'box service life to as little as 60k miles. Obviously the S40 weighs about a ton less than the XC90, but given the factory map limits, it might be wise to stay in the upper half of the throttle in the midrange for the most part.

Best of luck and I hope you can find the different progression of your new map as enjoyable as the outright grunt.
All considered when deciding on the remap.

The main reason for chosing the RICA map was the reduced torque value of 420NM as opposed to the 450NM advertised by others. Like you say, in this application, the drivetrain has far less weight to shift than the XC90. My research returned no remapped S40 D5 issues relating to gearbox failure.

Furthermore, I do not intend to use 420NM all day everyday, quite the opposite in fact. It is simply shifting a little more torque and power to the mid range that I was after (not the full 420NM), also I have and will continue to change 50-60% ATF fluid to keep the clutches healthy at every engine oil/filter change interval, which I do annually at about 50% of the allowable 18k mileage!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parallaxerr For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 17:46   #7
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Very happy to hear all of that, and sorry to have brought a less positive note to your thread. Hopefully in future other people looking to remap a D5 auto will read your reply above and learn to take such good care of the 'box too. No more to say, except enjoy it and I hope it serves you well for many years to come

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Proghound For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 18:12   #8
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Just looking into this... frankly I find the D5 fast enough for overtaking so maybe if the auto box doesn't die in the next couple of years, I might try to kill it with one of these
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 10:12   #9
parallaxerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Just looking into this... frankly I find the D5 fast enough for overtaking so maybe if the auto box doesn't die in the next couple of years, I might try to kill it with one of these
I'll be honest, it can be frighteningly quick at times. I drive quite sedately 99% of the time but on the occasion I need to overtake it really shocks me. The auto box kick down is horrible imo so I tend to knock it down manually in preparation to overtake and it takes off like a rocket, from any speed!
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 12:06   #10
Jonathank

I’ve been thinking of a remap using Celtic Tuning in Cross Hands. Can I first clarify something please? My understanding is that the MTE/RICA maps limits torque in gears 1&2. The other 3 are unrestricted. So as long as you use the tourque in a-b driving where you’re in the higher gears almost all the time a higher tourque output shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

The time to be careful is 0-60 sprints away from T lights or pulling hard out of roundabouts in low gears.

Am I right or is this wishful thinking?
Jonathank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathank For This Useful Post: