Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D Tyres

Views : 1180

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 18:03   #1
Dirty Diesel

Question V40 1.9D Tyres

Hello all!

Now I've got a question or two about my tyres. To start with, the V40 i own has 16" Galactica wheels, running 205/50 R16 tyres. The front tyres are 3 year old, 2015 Firestone TZ3000's, and the rears are 6 year old, 2012 Falken Ziex ZE914's. They all have roughly 4-5mm of tread on them.

But, with the rears being 6 years old, I'm considering looking into replacements for say a year down the line. By that time the fronts will be about 4 years old and more worn than they are now, so it may even itself out.

I'm wondering, what brand of tyre do you all find works best for your S40/V40? And what model of tyre as well if you know it. Also, what sort of price would i be looking at for a set of 4 good brand tyres?

I'm looking for tyres that are from a reputable brand and offer good performance, fuel efficiency, noise at a reasonable price that wouldn't break the bank. Obviously I don't want something like Michelin Pilot Sports for a diesel V40, but not some cheap brand of tyre. If i were driving an R, that'd be a different story.

I'm not looking to buy tyres right away, like i said, I'm looking for future reference. Thanks for reading and have a good one!
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 20:00   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Uniroyal rainsport 3 all day long, they come in at about 65 quid or so a corner online in that size, probably work out cheaper if you buy 4, my local tyre place managed to match the online price but included fitting and balancing etc, best tyres I've ever had, even on a wet road my t4 doesnt act up, unless I seriously provoke it.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 21:00   #3
Dirty Diesel

Uniroyal? Never heard of them. I guess they can't be that bad if they can hold a T4 in the wet! 260 quid ain't too bad for a full set if they're a good tyre
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 21:58   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Yeah they're pretty good, obviously if I stamp on the loud pedal in second gear and it's raining then it'll spin when it comes on boost, because it has 18psi of it haha, but under normal and even spirited conditions it's really well behaved, I used to have the traction control light blinking at me in 3rd on the old budgets that were on the car when I got it, the difference is night and day.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 21:58   #5
pete-d
pete-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Diesel View Post
Uniroyal? Never heard of them. I guess they can't be that bad if they can hold a T4 in the wet! 260 quid ain't too bad for a full set if they're a good tyre
Uniroyal have been around for decades and always had a decent reputation. I'd happily put them on a car of mine.

C30 T5 SE Lux 2007
S80 2.5T SE Lux 2009
S60 D4 R Design 2013
pete-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:05   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Uniroyal provide ridiculous wet grip.
The price you pay is wear and handling/feel, but, they are cheap too...
The tyres you have on aren't known for wearing well either, and youve had a number of years from those, so youll prob not be far off with uniroyal.

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jun 19th, 2018 at 22:08.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:08   #7
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-d View Post
Uniroyal have been around for decades and always had a decent reputation. I'd happily put them on a car of mine.
Oh have they? Just shows how well versed I am on tyres hahaha. I'll have to take a look at Uniroyal and see what i can come up with.

Quote:
Uniroyal rainsport 3 all day long
So they're a good bet to go for. Any other decent Uniroyal models i should be aware of?
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:13   #8
AndyV7o
Premier Member

You'll only get rainsport in that size. Other than winter or all season.
Take a look on camskill, they often have really good prices for uniroyal. Otherwise oponeo are good. (If you want mail order.)

Last edited by AndyV7o; Jun 19th, 2018 at 22:15.
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:21   #9
Dirty Diesel

I've been having a look around, and the Rainsport 3 is definitely acclaimed as being a great tyre, but my concern is them lasting. One person was saying that they got 20,000 miles out of them.

Only 2 years worth of driving? That seems oddly low. I'm used to seeing tyres that are getting low at maybe 4-5 years usage. Would be because they're harder compound tyres or something?
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:37   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

The rainsport dont have longevity. Its the trade-off for the wet grip.
You could also look at the new Falken azenis fk510, they promise and are showing in testing a good all-round behaviour.
Very few tyres on the market last very long these days, almost all are short-lived. Pirelli dont fare too bad in the wear stakes, and of course Michelin last very well but cost your wallet dearly.
Given how poor most premium tyres wear, you may as well buy a good midrange such as uniroyal/falken/firestone/hankook as they compete head and shoulders with the premium now, whilst being a bit lighter on the wallet.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:

Tags
1.9 diesel, gallactica, sport, tyre choice, v40 1.9td