Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox problem maybe ????

Views : 574

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2014, 15:31   #1
damrabbit

Default Gearbox problem maybe ????

Hi

Car is Volvo 850 TDi automatic 131,000 miles

I took the caravan out this weekend and when I got to the site and booked in the car would not start.
It gave the same symptoms as when I've tried to start the car when I mistakenly left in drive i.e all dashboard lights but no attempt to turn I had driven the car quite hard and wondered if perhaps the gearbox had overheated as when I tried 30 minutes later it started fine and when I came back I took it easier and again the car was fine, temp guage on dash stayed fine on both journeys with no other warning lights at all

Any suggestions please

thanks
damrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:38   #2
thetroublemaker

Could be one of a few things.

1 - Search PNP switch in this forum. The quick and dirty test is to run the selector through all positions 30 or 40 times. If it needs replacing its £150 and 2-3 hours from memory.

2 - Could simply be a tired starter motor, cheap repair if so.

3 - possible curveball could be the inductive pickup round the ignition barrel for the immobiliser but I THOUGHT that only affected the ignition circuit - ie the car would crank and crank but not fire....but mines a tdi so it may work differently.

Don't write the box off I don't think that's the failure mode - ie it would die and slip and you would go into limp mode normally.
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:40   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Do the reverse lights work? If not then the PNP switch is the chief suspect.

It can be replaced, or it's possible to buy a repair kit.

The PNP tells the car which gear is selected and acts as the inhibitor, preventing starting if the car is not in P or N.

The internal contacts wear out, the first sign usually being the lack of reverse lights. Cleaning up the contacts by moving the selector energetically as described is a temporary fix, but ultimately you'll need to sort it out properly.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:47   #4
Paffel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Do the reverse lights work? If not then the PNP switch is the chief suspect.

It can be replaced, or it's possible to buy a repair kit.

The PNP tells the car which gear is selected and acts as the inhibitor, preventing starting if the car is not in P or N.

The internal contacts wear out, the first sign usually being the lack of reverse lights. Cleaning up the contacts by moving the selector energetically as described is a temporary fix, but ultimately you'll need to sort it out properly.

Cheers

Jack
My reverse lights sometimes worked, sometimes didn't - and it went into limp home mode if I selected L or 3. My contacts were completely shot in the PNP switch.
You can pick up the metal copper contacts for a few pounds (£10), then it is a case of removing the switch and dismantling. You'll also need to align the switch on refit, but this can be done with a pair of straight edges, or folding metal rule, etc.

There are a few guides dotted about that look complete, a search on Google for PNP 850 switch replacement brings up http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/pnp...-cleaning.html

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 17:15   #5
damrabbit

Cheers for that
Will the reverse lights not work only when it plays up or all the time as the gearbox is perfect at the moment and as yet no limp mode even before or after the event
damrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 18:07   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

The reverse lights would work erratically, and working the selector back and forth will fix it temporarily. Like any intermittent electrical fault, it is very frustrating until either it's fixed, or it goes plop altogether.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote