Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

That pesky ETM - part numbers

Views : 3533

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2011, 07:03   #1
MrH

Default That pesky ETM - part numbers

Evening all, long time reader, first time poster here....

I'm having symptoms of a duff ETM on my '00 C70 2.0T. The ETS light comes on whilst driving, limp home mode and the idle is pretty awful. Switching off and on again clears the issue for a while but it returns afterwards at a random point in time.

So I'm planning on whipping off the inlet manifold and then replacing the ETM and doing the PCV at the same time as it needs doing.

What I need to know is how interchangeable are the throttle bodies between cars. The part number of the ETM on my car is 8644346, which I can't find much information about. Would I be able to use an ETM with a different part number (8644347/8644345 for example, which would still fit my car according to http://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/p...&siteid=213784 )

Hope that makes sense.
Cheers
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 08:13   #2
Peter D
Peter D

Volvo now charge £294.50 plus vat and £50 plus vat to "Reload" the software plus labout and vat. However I have very recently had my ETM rebuilt with a dual channel Hall Effect non contact Switch 1 and it was returned the next day. If you search on this forum you will find more and if you search on Ebay you will find the ETM deal at £109 plus £10 postage. I shipped mine to him for £8.22 via city link (ParcelMonkey.com). No recoding required, refitted it and problem solved. Have you had the codes read and what was the message on the dash display. www.Volvodiagnostic.com Regards Peter

Last edited by Peter D; Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:15.
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 09:18   #3
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

From a cost point of view alone it does seem to make sense to go the route that Peter describes....ie. Refurb the original one.!..AND get the benefit of improved technology and longevity.
If you replace like for like then you are still dealing with a badly designed part that will eventually go the same way..?
The downside of course is that you will be without your car a for a few days.

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 10:09   #4
Peter D
Peter D

There is a source on new ETM's at £250 plus postage but the car will not run and you have to get it to an experienced Independant to have the reload done or a Volvo dealer and they charge £50 plus vat. I have heard of a dealer charging £660 for a new ETM, reload and labour plus vat. Volvo have reduced the cost of an ETM down to £294.50 in response to the number of complaints on these units. In the US they ended up with a recall notice and refunds. But they were still fitting the same Magneti Marelli unit. They have also changed the part number by one digit, it now ends in a 7 rather than a 6 for a V70 2.3 T5. Regards Peter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter D For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 17:46   #5
MrH

Thanks for the replies,

I have found that Ebay service and was intrigued... My job for this evening was to read up on it and find reviews etc..

Volvo Peterborough wanted £355 for a new one, plus a few quid for a gasket and then 30 minutes to do the software. I would guess at least £400 then....

I'll have a bit more or a read up on getting mine refurbed tonight.
MrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 19:56   #6
Peter D
Peter D

The dealer is wrong. The cost of the ETM have been reduced to £294.50 across the board.
Regards Peter
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 20:01   #7
Peter D
Peter D

The repair involes a type specific hall effect sensor for Sacer in China. This sensor is a non contact dual channel sensor so it replace the RHS SW1 sensor and three wires running inside the ETM electronics cover replaces the RH resistive sensor which is not removed but disconnected as the RH SW2 also carried the two connections for the drive motor for the throttle. The unit comes with a 12 month warrantee. If you need to know more PM me. Regards Peter
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 09:07   #8
bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrH View Post
Thanks for the replies,

I have found that Ebay service and was intrigued... My job for this evening was to read up on it and find reviews etc..

Volvo Peterborough wanted £355 for a new one, plus a few quid for a gasket and then 30 minutes to do the software. I would guess at least £400 then....

I'll have a bit more or a read up on getting mine refurbed tonight.
actronics sell them for £208, only need volvo to id it to your car, not a full softwear download
bus is offline   Reply With Quote