Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM Removal

Views : 4345

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 23:52   #11
Steve1564

Hi Guys....

Just done mine, Yes it is a pain to get out - removed the turbo pipe but not the rad, seems that a 7mm socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet is the easiest way to get the clips off, and Peter your right - Why do they route the cable behind the starter bracket!!! (loosen the 2 10mm & take out the 12mm & it pops out from behind)....

I remember when car repairs consisted of taking out the rotor arm and rubbing it on the pavement.....
and drove from leeds to portsmouth with shoelaces through the window as a throttle cable - "Now thats cruise control"!!

Also i wouldn't mind getting hold of the sod at volvo who cut all the cable ties at 45 deg!! it was like working through a barb wire fence - i look like i've stuck my hands in a bag of cats ! -

Replaced the pot with the sacer TPS - fairly easy job once you dremel all the green stuff out the way... Incedentally on test i get a deviation of 1.8 degrees between the 2 sensors ? its constant and well within the tollerance of the ETM - which i think is a fantasticlly well engineered unit let down by the position sensors - it would be interesting to see if these units have had any failures other than the pots.....

... waiting for the silicone to set & re-installing it tommrow, then i can start on the other issues!....

Steve

Last edited by Steve1564; Mar 19th, 2012 at 23:58.
Steve1564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 22:05   #12
jeffreyt

A new maf seems to have fixed the tickover/idle problems but I think I would
still like to take out the ETM and check it to make sure no gunk has built up.
If it is gunked up what do you clean it up with ?
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 22:45   #13
Steve1564

Hi Jeff

What was the Idle like? - Mine seems a bit "hunty" - not much but now & again it drops & goes up - Just sorted the ETM & it drives fine, maybe i'm being a bit picky but the old phase 1 (2000) is rock solid at 750rpm...

looking at the data on Vida the Maf is doing somthing but i dont know if it's the right somthing or not.... maybe i'll swop it out with the one from the other car....

I cleaned mine with carb cleaner & then put a spot of engine oil on the shaft where it enters the body at each end (ooh-err!)
I know that volvo have a special ETM cleaner - so my way may be the wrong way (!)
Find sombody local with DICE - theres a dedicated ETM test (checks the sensors against each other) - that should tell you if you have any impending issues...

......on another note i've just discovered that the alarm siren module is stopping the sun roof from working WTF!!!!!

Steve

Last edited by Steve1564; Mar 21st, 2012 at 22:52.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:53   #14
jeffreyt

thanks Steve.

With the new maf the idle is quite steady at 7-800 depending on hot/cold engine.
I will go into Halfords and see what they have got in the way of carb cleaner.
The DICE test sounds a good idea, I will ask around to see if anyone local has the gear to do it.
Frankly,just getting the ETM off sounds like a nightmare so one step at a time I think.
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:00   #15
Steve1564

Funny, -

Cleaned the MAF & That made it worse (there was a visible layer of crud on the wire - Cornwall car) - scratched head for 10 mins & although there was no related codes stored did an erase & the car runs like a dream.... "Who'd a thunk it !"

.... Steve
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:12   #16
d2k

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
if my current problems lead to the ETM I am going to have to remove it for refurbishment ( I hope 'volvodiagnostic' are still in business !).
It looks as if removing the fan/shroud gives some working room as noted in one of the posts.
Removing the fan/shroud looks to be fairly easy however, any problems I should be aware of in advance ?
Thanks
lol... i wouldnt worry about that, the guy is like gold dust for these engines....
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 15:56   #17
dan4you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1564 View Post
Replaced the pot with the sacer TPS - fairly easy job once you dremel all the green stuff out the way...
Steve, can you point me where have you bought Sacer TPS unit? I'm trying to fix ETM of mine Volvo S60 and can't find any store on the internet.

And should I do software update (or calibration) of upgraded ETM?
dan4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 19:50   #18
mikealder
VOC Member

When you first put the rebuilt ETM in the car you chould connect it and leave the ignition switched on for ten minutes BEFORE starting the engine, this lets the ECU know what the new resistive values are for the new potentiameter fitted to the ETM, if you don't do this the idle tends to be all over the place - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote