Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Question For Clan

Views : 907

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 11:00   #1
askim98

Default Question For Clan

Hi Clan,

i wanted to ask you a question you might have already been asked but i could not find it on any previuos posts.

i have and old "Eolyes" DPF could i change it with the new Type of DPF?

do you know if the difference of software only ( the timing and a lot of other things have to change) or there is a mechanical difference ( apart from the full exhaust system)?

thank you in advance and sorry possibly for the stupid question.

askim98
askim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 11:03   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

I'm not Clan but no you can't.

Reason being: the 2.0d with manual box was never available with a service free DPF. Only the powershift (auto) was... But then on top you'll somehow have to change quite a lot of things. The filter and exhaust are in a different position, as the powershift box has a different engine space "usage". The software will need to be adapted. Etc. etc.

If you have so much cash that you can afford to simply change the entire particulate system, why not simply change car to a newer 2.0l diesel?

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 11:08   #3
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
I'm not Clan but no you can't.

Reason being: the 2.0d with manual box was never available with a service free DPF. Only the powershift (auto) was... But then on top you'll somehow have to change quite a lot of things. The filter and exhaust are in a different position, as the powershift box has a different engine space "usage". The software will need to be adapted. Etc. etc.

If you have so much cash that you can afford to simply change the entire particulate system, why not simply change car to a newer 2.0l diesel?
or smile like a t*at because you do not have one of those hateful things.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 11:17   #4
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
or smile like a t*at because you do not have one of those hateful things.
telling you the truth if you have problem with the DPF most of the time it is because people dont know how to actually work with it .

askim98
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 11:37   #5
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by askim98 View Post
telling you the truth if you have problem with the DPF most of the time it is because people dont know how to actually work with it .

askim98
True technically you could just remove it though rather than replacing it?
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 13:49   #6
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
True technically you could just remove it though rather than replacing it?
telling you the truth i dont want to remove it and i dont want even change it, i was a question that it is been arount my head for a long time, i dont think there is to much difference between the two i think if you have access to the software you can make the swap quite quickly.

but i dont know

askim98
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 14:13   #7
Daim
Brit in Germany

There is a huge difference between both. They both not only have different part numbers but also different ways of working (well, not totally but near). The additive is required to lower the burning temperature of soot so it can burn in the DPF. This means the DPF works at a lower temperature. The other version the engine injects a little more diesel so it can burn in the filter itself. This needs higher temperatures.

Fitting one filter into the other would be stupid or not really clever. If it was a simple "software adaption", don't you think Volvo would have done this rather than having to stock super expensive Eloys and keep on paying cash to get rid of the used full DPFs?

Volvo had the other system with diesel injection longer (first appeared around 2004 on the D5) and would have "easily" been able to add it to the Ford/PSA block/engine. But it isn't that simple.

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 15:13   #8
askim98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
There is a huge difference between both. They both not only have different part numbers but also different ways of working (well, not totally but near). The additive is required to lower the burning temperature of soot so it can burn in the DPF. This means the DPF works at a lower temperature. The other version the engine injects a little more diesel so it can burn in the filter itself. This needs higher temperatures.

Fitting one filter into the other would be stupid or not really clever. If it was a simple "software adaption", don't you think Volvo would have done this rather than having to stock super expensive Eloys and keep on paying cash to get rid of the used full DPFs?

Volvo had the other system with diesel injection longer (first appeared around 2004 on the D5) and would have "easily" been able to add it to the Ford/PSA block/engine. But it isn't that simple.
they dont pay for it the customer still pay for it.

if they had to do the change they would have done it only if the customer pay do they really pay cash to pick them up? i thought that some of the material in it was recycled.

i still am of the advise that if you change all the exhaust system the fuel tank and remove the ADM( additive dosing module) and a software update you should be alright.

the difference in "systems" is dictate only by the ECU nothing else one does need to send extra fuel during the exhaust break the other doesnt as the car has the additive.

at least i think.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 16:35   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

Well, keep in your mind, Volvo has to pay for the Eloys and DPF to be kept in their storage space (which costs a lot!) in order to have it on the shelf for a customer demanding it. Thrus people aren't likely to order it. I know of 3 people who drove their 1.6d/2.0d with the DPF until the DPF clogged up, bought a cheap new one from an aftermarket brand, bought the cheaper Eloys at Ford and did it themselves.

So storage, yes, the customer has to pay for it in the end, but then again, the customer must be there to buy it.

A software update isn't enough. I just checked with a friend working at Volvo and he says, that the only way around it is to reflash the entire engine ECU meaning Volvo has to reprogramme it. As Volvo cars though never fitted the 2.0d manual with the service free DPF (only Powershift) you'll need some kind of emulator to tell the ECU that a Powershift is attached. Thrus the ECU is attached to the VIN. The VIN also says which gearbox is fitted. So you'll need to have the ECU running on a different VIN than that of the car itself. And I bet you, if you do an OBD II emissions scan (MOT!) that it will fail, as the VINs are the same and the engine will be setting fault codes over and over.

If you are still convinced, that a simple "plug, flash, play" will work, try Btw.: the tanks (fuel tanks!) are the same...

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 18:36   #10
askim98

Interesting this makes me more intreagued I have to know more.

I will ask couple of questions to Volvo uk tomorrow

Thank you for your help it make sense that the ECU has to be flashed.

Clan if you can provide more info please let me know.

Askim98