Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 2.4d V70 turbo lag?

Views : 1965

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2013, 20:12   #1
v2brett

Default 2008 2.4d V70 turbo lag?

hi guys,

just a quick question really, on our v70 2.4d i feel what can only be described as a turbo lag sort of feeling.
ie, if i set off in 1st and want to pull away sharpish theres a moments delay and your off and the same happens on full (ish) power gear changes ie 3rd to 4th, when 4ths engaged theres a moments delay and the full powers back.

is this a fault or just a quirk of the engine?

cheers

Brett
v2brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 21:09   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

has this just started. i get no lag on mine at the moment.
mike
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 21:56   #3
v2brett

its always felt sluggish from standing in 1st til it hits 1.8/2k revs then shes off, just noticed it more the last week or 2 on faster gear changes.

checked fault codes on my dashcommand (generic reader) and nothings there.

think it last had a boost control solenoid (if thats the correct term) at approx 90k (id have to check SH) current mileage is 133k and once goin she pulls very well.

cheers for the reply
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 23:05   #4
KevWak

I have the 2.4d in my 2008 V50. I've only had the car 6 months and I have a similar lag I think. Faster gear changes when foot is to the floor, and the revs are 3000rpm (well in the turbo range) there is a split second between slamming my foot down and the power coming in. My car has only done 76k. I'm hoping a forthcoming remap will sort it.
KevWak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 23:22   #5
v2brett

thats the exact feeling kev, it feels like the car has to have a think about whats going on then bang your off again, be good to hear from others on this too.

i know its not the map sensor as i swapped this with 1 from my focus and the readings didnt alter at all on the dashcommand.

cheers

brett
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 12:59   #6
wilbur6669

V2BRETT

Is it an auto or manual?
I have XC90 with the D5 engine (165hp version), and geartronic gbox?
We (meaning all XC90 auto owners with this engine) suffer a similar issue, where there is a slight hesitation when pulling away, then your off.
Not fun to pull out into moving traffic with a 2.5 ton car with a 1.5 ton van on the back I can tell you.
wilbur6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 23:22   #7
v2brett

hi wilbur,

ours is a v70 and manual, its quite hairy pulling onto say a roundabout where you can see cars approaching but knowing you can/should pull out with plenty of room.
but i pull out and the car feels flat so i floor the throttle to get moving then a second or two .....bang im away. feels strange to say the least.

i might check the bcs and relating pipe work when time allows.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 22:58   #8
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I have this some times on my 2002 d5 manual changing from 1st to second gear with my foot fast,hard down could it be the boost control solenoid valve? or the vanes in the turbo getting sluggish, no codes in vida
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 23:09   #9
kenny
Master Member

Our 2008 D5 was like this, we only bought it in june and whilst it went ok and we were happy with it, we always felt it should have a bit more get up and go, then last week the car would not rev over 2500rpm. it felt like the turbo was switched off. it turned out to be a pipe to the turbo boost control unit had gone.
now we have the car back it goes much better than ever, leaving me feeling this must have been leaking for as long as we have had the car.

Not sure which pipe it was as i just put it into the dealer. the master tech said it was a known issue and the repair kit only cost £2.30.
It was covered by warranty so not sure how much the fitting was.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 19:45   #10
davebb
Premier Member

today I have changed my turbo boost control valve for a new one,and the car is much more responsive changing from 1st to 2nd gear and putting my foot fast down on then peddle the care responds right away with no delay
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote