Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

iPhone 5 & playing music??

Views : 794

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:44   #1
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

Default iPhone 5 & playing music??

Hi guys & girls,

I upgraded my iphone 4s to a 5s a few months ago and i want to be able to connect and play music through my HU-850. However all that i can find on the web are crappy fm transmitters (which i already had for the 4s) and don't really want to go down this route again due to the poor sound quality.
In an ideal world i would have a new car and connect via Bluetooth, however with a house purchase on the cards, i need to look at other options.
I am aware of a device which plugs into the auto changer plug on the rear of the head unti, which you then plug you iPhone/iPod into made by USA Spec. However i cant find anything for the 5s and the new Lightning connections.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of how to connect the 2 without compromising on quality or my hard earned?

Thanks Jono
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 13:08   #2
JRS80

Hello, I believe that this isn't too much trouble to do, you'll need something like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005...sbs_3?pi=SS115

Here's a link for an adaptor;

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD...30-pin-adapter

I am looking into doing it myself but have other priorities / issues I want to sort out first with my car!

Previously owned:
2005 V70 2.4 SE Auto 170
1999 V70 2.4 SE Auto 140
JRS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRS80 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 13:53   #3
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS80 View Post
Hello, I believe that this isn't too much trouble to do, you'll need something like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005...sbs_3?pi=SS115

Here's a link for an adaptor;

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD...30-pin-adapter

I am looking into doing it myself but have other priorities / issues I want to sort out first with my car!
Thanks for that. I think i will go down the route of the 'wired' approach, purely because it offers a much better quaultiy of sound through the Dolby system. Ive seen how to fit them and they're not difficult to install. It's just the initial outlay that puts me off at the moment.
Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 16:41   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

I have the Grom and I also bought the female USB charging lead. Music and call quality is excellent and it's completely discreet.
If your lightning lead has USB at the other end, no adaptor is required.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 16:50   #5
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I have the Grom and I also bought the female USB charging lead. Music and call quality is excellent and it's completely discreet.
If your lightning lead has USB at the other end, no adaptor is required.
That's really good to hear. I think despite the initial outlay, it's an option which brings the car up to date without too much fannying about or butchering of original equiptment.
Thanks for the thumbs up.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 22:23   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Yep, absolutely no butchering required as it is truly plug and play (with the odd screw).
Just like when I fit heated grips to my motorbikes, the installation takes minimal time. It's the routing of wires and removal/refitting of trim panels which takes the longest.
A leisurely two hours will see you with a professional quality install and with a great spec phone, you have a sat nav/movie player/GPS speedo etc. that you can take with you
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:49   #7
blueacid

Entirely agree. I've an Android phone, so got the GROM Aux connector. Audio via 3.5mm jack and a female USB socket provided for charging.

I didn't know whether I'd stay with Android or move to something else, so figured that this approach would work with whatever (plus if a passenger brings an iPod Classic to connect, we can do it).

Twinned with a Brodit car mount over one of the dash vents, the phone is held securely and the audio quality is top notch. Job done!
blueacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:32   #8
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueacid View Post
Twinned with a Brodit car mount over one of the dash vents, the phone is held securely and the audio quality is top notch. Job done!
That's how I've got mine mounted with an iMiV, but have noticed the phone transmitter breaks into the centre dash speaker. Has anyone found a way to prevent this?
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:49   #9
blueacid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
That's how I've got mine mounted with an iMiV, but have noticed the phone transmitter breaks into the centre dash speaker. Has anyone found a way to prevent this?
Do you mean the noise of the radio transmissions from the phone cause interference on the centre speaker?

Sadly I've not had anything like that affect me, so i can't offer any advice on how to resolve it. Mostly my phone is on 3g though..
blueacid is offline   Reply With Quote