Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 s60 cooling fan runs fast from startup

Views : 3247

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2014, 16:44   #1
quietcoolone

Default 2004 s60 cooling fan runs fast from startup

Recently notice that the engine cooling fan on my 04 S60 2.5t comes on immediately upon startup the engine. It will run for as long as the engine is running. Stays on high speed for a few seconds then to low speed for a few when engine is turned off, then it will shut off on its own. This happens in cold or hot temperatures. The temperature gauge does not go beyond 12 o'clock, check engine light is off. I replaced the fan motor assembly with another from an 05 s60 but that did not fix the problem. Can't seem to find a dedicated fuse or relay so I'm stumped. I know the fan worked at low speeds but now it's at full speed all of the time and I'm concerned that it might burn out..
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
quietcoolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 00:45   #2
oragex
Premier Member

Maybe the previous owner bypassed the temp sensor to the fan switch.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 00:50   #3
Orca2
I've Been Banned

I read a post on here a while back where the wiring to the temperature sensor was routed round the subframe at the front of the car and had chafed through to make the fan think the coolant was hot thus fan ran constantly, might be worth checking that you do not have the same problem.
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 01:57   #4
quietcoolone

Default possible fix

The fan has 2 thick wires and a single small wire. The red wire goes to a 60 amp fuse under the fuse box in engine compartment, black to ground and small purple to ecm. I figured it must be the signal wire from the ecm or related sensor and decided to disconnect the battery and reset ecm. Waited 3 hours and reconnected the battery, started the car and fan did not run. I then turned on the ac and the fan ran at its normal speed. Turned off ac and soon thereafter the fan stopped. Took the car for a spin and everything was back to normal. Turned car on 3 hours later and the fan did not come on. I will monitor this situation for a few days and report back.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:08   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

If it was the loss of temp sensor I would expect to see the temp warning lamp on and the temp gauge possible registering hot. It's a quick way to test the fan by just disconnecting the sensor. In some cars it will also trigger an engine management light which may take two or three cycles after the disconnect to switch itself off.
The other possibility is the aircon system. I can't recall exactly but low gas pressure might do it. There is a thread here some where about this exact issue.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...r+conditioning

Last edited by Brendan W; Mar 17th, 2014 at 10:14.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 20:15   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcoolone View Post
The fan has 2 thick wires and a single small wire. The red wire goes to a 60 amp fuse under the fuse box in engine compartment, black to ground and small purple to ecm. I figured it must be the signal wire from the ecm or related sensor and decided to disconnect the battery and reset ecm. Waited 3 hours and reconnected the battery, started the car and fan did not run. I then turned on the ac and the fan ran at its normal speed. Turned off ac and soon thereafter the fan stopped. Took the car for a spin and everything was back to normal. Turned car on 3 hours later and the fan did not come on. I will monitor this situation for a few days and report back.
How did you reset the ecm? Just leave the battery off for 3 hours?
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 12:25   #7
quietcoolone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
How did you reset the ecm? Just leave the battery off for 3 hours?
Yes. All I did was disconnect the negative battery terminal for 2 hours and the fan was back to normal. I never got a check engine light and the temperature gauge never went pass 12 but whatever the issue, it has been resolved and working for the past few days.
Btw this situation began after taking her in for a wheel alignment. As soon as the mechanic drove up I could hear the fan was louder than normal. I drove home thinking that it was bc the outdoor temperature had gone up.