Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Doh...SatNav boo boo

Views : 713

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2016, 15:27   #1
mcox42

Default Doh...SatNav boo boo

Gents and Ladies,

I'm hoping someone can help...

I recently bought an SatNav update disk (RTI) for our 56' Plate XC90. In a rush to update everything before going on holiday to France, I inserted the disc and watched it start updating the software (usual message appeared about taking 2 hours blah blah blah). It then stopped and stared complaining of wrong disk!

After taking the time to look at the old disk (should have done this first...doh!), I realised to my horror that our SatNav is the "HD" version. Thinking laterally ordered the HD disk but this will now not update the software either.

I have put the original "HD" disk back in the system which now gives me a minute to press the "back" button to allow us to use the old SatNav disk or it tries to continue the update.

Is there anyway of resetting the Satnav to pre-update state so that I can start the whole process again with the correct new HD disk?

Many thanks.

Martin (Feeling just a little bit stupid!)

Last edited by mcox42; Nov 15th, 2016 at 15:33.
mcox42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 18:38   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I checked the manuals and found nothing about how to abort a partially completed update

I would definitely start by inserting the original disc (pre-update) should you have one. If you don't have the correct map disc, then you'll need to get one.

Ask if any forum members in your area can help with 'lending' a disc?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 07:10   #3
mcox42

Hi SwissXC90,

Sorry for any confusion...

"I have put the original "HD" disk back in the system which now gives me a minute to press the "back" button to allow us to use the old SatNav disk or it tries to continue the update.
"

I have used the original "HD" disk but this gives the 1 minute warning, allowing you to press the "Back" button to get the SatNav working with the original "HD" disk, otherwise it tries to continue the update even with the original "HD" disk in the drive.

Cheers

Martin
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 08:59   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

But that is to be expected

Here is the situation that I understood from your posts

1. The nav was working
2. You inserted an incorrect map CD, it started an update process, and then the update was aborted by you
3. The nav is now in a partially updated state
4. You inserted the correct (older) map CD, the nav started to update to this CD

Step 4 is what I would expect from your situation
The nav is trying to update itself to the same state as on the CD you have now inserted.
You need to let the update complete

Note that almost every map CD has a different OS on it for the nav, the nav will always update itself to the OS version present on the map CD, but only of course if the nav currently has a *different* OS version loaded. That's normal behaviour.

The only way to get your nav operational is to let the update run through to completion.
It will update the OS first
Then it will install the map files onto the harddrive

Use a battery charger and switch off all unnecessary electrical equipment (Radio, Climate Control, all lights, and set illumination to minimum) to ensure the load on the vehicle battery is minimal, and that the battery charger is keeping the battery in a good state for the duration of the update.
The ignition key must be in PosI for the duration, which can be around 2 hours for the harddrive based nav system.
Ensure the car is in a locked garage for the duration
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Nov 16th, 2016 at 09:08.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 07:35   #5
mcox42

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you on this...work has taken over life recently.

Ok, these are the steps...

1. Nav was working fine with 2012 disk.
2. Purchase 2016 RTI disk and insert into Nav DVD drive. Update begins.
3. 20 mins in, update stops automatically saying the wrong disk is being used.
4. Check 2012 disk and realise disk is HD version.
5. Purchase 2016 HD disk and insert into Nav DVD drive. Update will not start because the update process recognises a different disk.
6. Reinsert 2012 (original disk), message appears to say press back button to use old disk or let the update continue. The update obviously fails as per step 3 which ever disk is used.

Volvo's only solution so far is to offer a set of new "Original" Volvo disks.

There must be a way to reset this process?!?!?

Cheers

Martin

Last edited by mcox42; Dec 19th, 2016 at 07:41.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 11:26   #6
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Sounds like you need to "reset" the Sat Nav disk drive somehow?

Suggestion -

1 - Remove disk

2 - Pull the appropriate fuse(s) and leave for 10 mins

3 - Replace fuse(s)

4 - Insert correct new disk

5 - Pray...

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 12:03   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

> 6. Reinsert 2012 (original disk), message appears to say press back button to use old disk or let the update continue.

Press BACK and use old disc, then once nav is running, insert new correct map disc again
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 12:56   #8
mcox42

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
> 6. Reinsert 2012 (original disk), message appears to say press back button to use old disk or let the update continue.

Press BACK and use old disc, then once nav is running, insert new correct map disc again
If I start the NAV from the 2012 (HD) disk and press Back (so NAV is now working), then replace the disk with the 2016 (HD) I get the "Please insert the correct disk" error again.

If I turn off the Nav with the remote, insert the 2016 (HD) disk and start the NAV up I get...you've guessed it, "Please insert the correct disk" error again.

This is the infernal loop I'm in.....

Original Disk (2012 HD) allows the Nav to work (with 2012 maps) but only after pressing the back button within a minute of starting the car (Everytime).

Any other combination of disk in the DVD drive results in an incorrect disk!!

I'm going to pull the plug (fuse), as suggested, on the DVD unit and leave for 10 minutes whilst keeping all my appendages crossed, but this will have to wait until the weekend.

Thanks for all your advice.

Martin
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 13:20   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcox42 View Post
If I start the NAV from the 2012 (HD) disk and press Back (so NAV is now working), then replace the disk with the 2016 (HD) I get the "Please insert the correct disk" error again.

If I turn off the Nav with the remote, insert the 2016 (HD) disk and start the NAV up I get...you've guessed it, "Please insert the correct disk" error again.

This is the infernal loop I'm in.....

Original Disk (2012 HD) allows the Nav to work (with 2012 maps) but only after pressing the back button within a minute of starting the car (Everytime).

Any other combination of disk in the DVD drive results in an incorrect disk!!

I'm going to pull the plug (fuse), as suggested, on the DVD unit and leave for 10 minutes whilst keeping all my appendages crossed, but this will have to wait until the weekend.

Thanks for all your advice.

Martin

Try hitting BACK to get it working, then insert 2012 HD DVD Disc#2 and observe the message. If it then requests the original disc insert 2012 HD Disc#1

Also, after hitting BACK so it works, go through the SYSTEM menu and see if any options exist to cancel the pending update.

The nav is hard drive based and the OS and map data is written to permanent storage (hard drive or flash RAM), so I would be surprised if a power interruption would change anything.

And are you sure that it's simply not asking for 2016 Disc#2 ? Maybe inserting that will allow it to continue the update...
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 19:28   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Have you tried the following:

Go into the GPS diagnostics menu

Select menu 3.7 HDD Information
Select NEXT

Then you see a Map update selection, which you can Reset. This is worth trying.

You can also execute a HDD update (caution!)
You can also reset the key disc (caution!)

I would definitely try to reset the map update with the older DVD in the drive.

I have not executed any of these options on my vehicle, I was not brave enough to test them... if you start an update process that requires an update disc, then there is no going back, and if you do not have the disc you are stuck!