Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abs ring replacement oh dear!

Views : 5660

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2016, 15:39   #1
chris810

Default Abs ring replacement oh dear!

So i decided to replace the front drivers side ABS ring over the weekend went great untill i was unable to get the driveshaft out, so i pulled the complete assembly off and went to work on the bench after vast, ammounts of heat and destroying the bearing carrier i finally have it out.
So before i fit the new bearings and CV joint I have one question,

Given the large ammout of heat the upright will has been subjected to is it ok to reuse this ? I can get another from a breakers but they are not cheap, i can't see it warping and its looks ok what do you guys think ?

Just a quick cheap sunday afternoon job!
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:05   #2
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Can I ask why you changed the ABS ring if it wasn't broken? I presume it wasn't otherwise it would literally just pull off and not require all that you did as you can replace in situ?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:17   #3
gmonag
Premier Member

I think you were unlucky. I did the job recently and the driveshafts just slipped out of the hub.
I know there are often issues though, there is a video on YouTube of a guy trying to get the shaft out of a rear hub - he put it on a 200 tonne press and it still did not budge!

Sorry, I can't give an opinion on your strut.

Greg
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 11:20   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Can I ask why you changed the ABS ring if it wasn't broken? I presume it wasn't otherwise it would literally just pull off and not require all that you did as you can replace in situ?
An ABS ring still in one piece can create a fault if the profile of the teeth are uneven through corrosion or general wear.
Even if the old ring is broken and removes easily, the new ring is whole and needs the driveshaft out of the hub for installation.
It sounds like another aftermath of Volvo using super strength locking compound to cure the driveshaft spline in hub issue.
The locking compound they use is indeed a cure but Lord help any diyer trying to get the shaft back out in future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 12:13   #5
chris810

Sorry guys not made myself clear the ABS ring was broken, at least you could get movement in the two halves with a small screwdriver and after a few minutes of driving an ABS fault would come up with the warning light on the dashboard, i cannot see how you would replace the ring without withdrawing the driveshaft, and that is the bit that would not budge. Anyway all back together now just a test drive to do, and if that works its just the rear parking sensors to sort, and then an error message free dash

Till the next time

I am hoping that as i am now doing 1000 mls a month not 4000 miles a month i should break it 1/3 as much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris810 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2016, 12:43   #6
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
An ABS ring still in one piece can create a fault if the profile of the teeth are uneven through corrosion or general wear.
Even if the old ring is broken and removes easily, the new ring is whole and needs the driveshaft out of the hub for installation.
It sounds like another aftermath of Volvo using super strength locking compound to cure the driveshaft spline in hub issue.
The locking compound they use is indeed a cure but Lord help any diyer trying to get the shaft back out in future.
+1 for this, I had to use heat and a 15 tonne press to get my drive shafts out of the hub after someone did the 'glueing' fix in the past!!

Not had any problems since, so presumably all that heat does no lasting damage.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 15:09   #7
sreviz
Master Member

Iam having the same problem, The drive shaft is not budging out from the hub.
Took it to a small local garage, pressed it with the hydralic press. No luck.
Is there any one who specialized in removing the drive shaft near south London area please. I meant to say who will have that massive pressing device.

I just left it and put back the hub for just now, but Iam guessing sooner will have to replace the ABS ring , I can see they are very rusted.

Thank you
Saravan.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2016, 15:52   #8
oragex
Premier Member

at this point the wheel bearing is being damaged. perhaps sourcing a used spindle and axle shaft it's an easier way to go. one thing I did with my reluctor brings is brush off all the rust and coat it with antirust paint