Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 questions

Views : 600

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2019, 10:50   #1
Alpine

Default C70 questions

I'm thinking of getting a C70 (coupe, not convertible) as a weekend fun car. I've got a mark 1 Audi TT at the moment but it's getting too tight in the rear for the kids.

I guess a C70 is pretty much the same car as my S70, but in coupé form? I recall that maybe build quality was not as good as the C70 was not built by Volvo but by TWR, is that right.

Did they do a T5 C70? If so, I guess that is the one to have?

Prices seem so low at the moment, having looked on auto trader. Surprising for such a good looking car
Old Jan 26th, 2019, 16:50   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

The build quality of the C70 is equal to any Volvo I have owned in the past 40 odd years. They were designed and built by Volvo in their own dedicated factory in Sweden. TWR collaborated on the chassis design that was based on the 850 platform. Yes, they do come in T5 spec and I would think in coupe form a good choice.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 09:20   #3
C70 98

The c70 was built in Uddevalla in Sweden, by Autonova, which was a joint venture between Volvo and TWR. The c70 was totally separated from the s and v models. They also used teams to build the cars, so one team per car from start to finish. More of a individual handcraft of the old school, than a modern assembly line.
I always say that my c70 is hand built, just like Aston Martins and Rolls Royces

I haven't had or driven a s70, but have driven a 854 and 855, as well as having owned a v70 from new. The c70 is stiffer and less wobbly on the twisties, that said, it's no sportscar. This is for the hardtop c70, the soft top is obviously very different.

The T5 is the one to have, either in manual or auto, I have both and I prefer the auto, it just suits the car better, but, and this is a big but, while the manual easily sees 30mpg average, 38 on a run, and 40+ when driving miss Daisy, the auto struggles to better 25.
The manual is a -99 and the auto is a -98, so engine management can have a thing or two to do with it as well.

I took my manual on a road trip last summer, from halfway up in Sweden down to the Alps, including a lap around the Ring, over the 3,000 miles it averaged 36.5mpg, that was with a full load, fast autobahn driving and seeing single digit mpg for long stretches when climbing the Alp roads.
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C70 98 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 15:09   #4
DSK
C70 T5

I use mine as a daily driver doing approximately 800-900 miles a week for the last 7 years. Both C70 T5's are running well and strong and to say that a new Astra GTC and a new Merc E350 CDI felt like tracing paper in comparison says it all. Build quality and reliability is unquestionable. (I have just bought a lovely 2007 Mercedes CLS with 65,000 miles and still use the Volvos!)

The rear of the C70 (Mk1) will comfortably seat 2 fully grown adults in comfort in the rear seats, so kids are no issue. The only thing I will say is make sure the front seats cleanly flip forward as its common for the internal cable to stretch to the point where it needs to be replaced.

The T5's are harder to get hold of now but I would avoid any with cheap modifications and cars that have been run on shoe string budget.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Last edited by DSK; Jan 27th, 2019 at 17:25.
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 19:37   #5
Alpine

many thanks all, that is very useful. I will start keeping my eye out for a manual T5 I think.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 15:35   #6
Redskiies

Good luck, there is approx 150ish manual coupes left on uk roads...
Ive bought mine for dirt cheap and spent 3x the amount on it so far... And ill need a new coolant hose soon enough...
Manuals are more fun, i love hearing the engine roar, but i agree autos suit more to the tourer it is... But as long as it has cruise control, id go w manual for the sake of it
Redskiies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 20:22   #7
Redskiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskiies View Post
Good luck, there is approx 150ish manual coupes left on uk roads...
Ive bought mine for dirt cheap and spent 3x the amount on it so far... And ill need a new coolant hose soon enough...
Manuals are more fun, i love hearing the engine roar, but i agree autos suit more to the tourer it is... But as long as it has cruise control, id go w manual for the sake of it
t5 manuals* that is...

also 603 t5 manual coupes were sold originally around the world...

still...the sound what the car makes when you press the clutch in around 5k rpm worth all the money...that 5cyl scream and the air coming out from the turbo is magnificent

Last edited by Redskiies; Jan 28th, 2019 at 20:31.
Redskiies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 21:38   #8
Dibble
VOC Member

I bought an 03 T5 convertible a year ago with the intention of cleaning it up and selling on but I think it's a great car and a brilliant engine and have no intention of selling. Seems to be brilliantly balanced and great handling on the bends. The car is manual and I get just over the 30mpg even while making good progress.
Wee bit rattly perhaps obviously due to being convertible but I can live with it.
Absolute delight!
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote