Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pre - Delivery - Inspection PDI

Views : 2874

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:43   #1
Kobe

Default Pre - Delivery - Inspection PDI

Do you think a dealer should actually give you a copy of the pre-delivery-inspection..? so that you know what has been checked and what has not..

my XC70 has a lot of features, so it isn't possible to check all these when the dealer hands over the car..

after a month of ownership, I realised that I hadn't used the CD player (since I use an iPod) - so tried to put a disc in.. and the disc unit sounded like it was trying to grind it up rather than play it.. the unit wouldn't load the disc and kept coming up with all sorts of messages and noises..tried multiple times..read the manual.. and finally gave up.

So then went to my nearest dealer (who didn't deliver the car orginally).. and after trying it for a few seconds.. the technician said it needed a complete new CD player.. and no.. the CD player isn't part of a PDI for the car. (Why not?)

so how can this be - that a car delivered from the factory faulty is then delivered to the customer.. still faulty.

it now means further trip to the dealer - time etc.. just because nobody checked before the car was delivered... extra cost for everybody for not doing a 1 minute check.

XC70 D5 SE Sport (MY2008)
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 17:25   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

This may sound condescending but what's to stop a new owner of near £30000 or new car sitting in said new car and testing everything.
Isn't your investment worth 20 minutes? (of your valuable time)

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 17:34   #3
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Admittedly this is taken from a 2004 checklist (but I would expect it to still include all of these items), but this is a PDI for an XC70.....

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 22:42   #4
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I wouldn't rely on a ticked checklist -my first S80 (not new) had a fully completed checklist, but one of the door mirrors didn't fold in - in fact it wasn't an electric one (yes, it should have been, the other one was).

My general belief is that almost no dealers/garages actually do a full check, but rely on the buyer to have to come back.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 23:18   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

[QUOTE=Kobe;342160]Do you think a dealer should actually give you a copy of the pre-delivery-inspection..? so that you know what has been checked and what has not..

So then went to my nearest dealer (who didn't deliver the car orginally).. and after trying it for a few seconds.. the technician said it needed a complete new CD player.. and no.. the CD player isn't part of a PDI for the car. (Why not?)

QUOTE]

There will be a comprehensive log book at the dealer covering checks from transporter delivery to PDI and Valet to handover , and of course CD player is on the list .. That log book is for the audit trail, so complain .. someone has signed to say it was ok ...

The hand over is supposed to take a certain amout of time too , certainly not just 10 mins more like 45 mins +

Volvo do have high standards , its just some people at the end of the chain spoiling things
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 16:09   #6
Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

This may sound condescending but what's to stop a new owner of near £30000 or new car sitting in said new car and testing everything.
Isn't your investment worth 20 minutes? (of your valuable time)

Des. . .
that's a fair question.. and it was actually closer to £40K..

the problem was the car was sent to me on a flatbed by a delivery driver.. who had double parked outside my office.. so I literally had to check the car was the correctly specified.. sign and then drive it away to avoid getting a ticket..

however should it be my job to PDI the car?.. my actual concern at the delivery time was to check that I had got what I had actually ordered - versus functionality (which is assumed to be OK).

How do I check the 4C suspension.. the variable steering etc??

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:07   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
that's a fair question.. and it was actually closer to £40K..

the problem was the car was sent to me on a flatbed by a delivery driver.. who had double parked outside my office.. so I literally had to check the car was the correctly specified.. sign and then drive it away to avoid getting a ticket..

however should it be my job to PDI the car?.. my actual concern at the delivery time was to check that I had got what I had actually ordered - versus functionality (which is assumed to be OK).

How do I check the 4C suspension.. the variable steering etc??
A fair point.... There may well be item you can't check, or would not know how to check. Certainly not in a say 30 minute familiarisation period at a dealers.

As for how it was delivered to you, yes, even less chance to have an inspection...
But I wouldn't have signed for it until it had been parked properly. After all, it is the delivery drivers responsibility until you sign for it! So are any of the tickets issued..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 19:21   #8
Kobe

my update..

car at the dealer for over an hour.. in that time they changed the CD player unit.. but then had a problem with the software that controls the audio system in the car.. net result, car was given back with less functionality than I had given it to them..

no CD player, no radio, no bluetooth.. and no parking sensors...strangely the i-pod works with the sound system.

excuse given was this was a new model car..and they had no experience..(despite the work being done by a master technician) so they needed to call sweden for a software patch to be written and downloaded.. which they were unable to do until later.. so another visit needed..

a bit frustrated since I need the car now on consecutive days for long trips - and not having the radio with traffic info isn't helpful..

and all of the memory of the car has been wiped clean.. seat memory, and all of the stored locations in the navigation.

so be warned.. don't let Volvo play with your sound system