Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What turbo unit do i have ?

Views : 1243

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2009, 00:31   #11
dooby
Forum Support Team

If you don't mind disconnecting the wastegate actuator, undoing the 10mm clamp nut and undoing the circlip you can probably swap the exhaust housing betwen the two. Just check the exhuast turbine doesn't catch the 'new' housing.

If you search for posts by me with the words "turbo" in the title you should find my refurb HowTo which may have a few helpful photos.

EDIT I might be misremembering, maybe it's the compressor housing that comes off easily. Anyway, you *can* swap the exhaust housing if you want to, just can't remember which comes off 1st, compressor housing or turbine housing.

HTH, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 23:08   #12
cryz2

dooby , i just read your excellent HOW TO http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48611

i hope i can swap the exhaust housing , do i have to undo the 10mm bolt and take off the band , then take out the compressor housing ???

do i have to undo the cir-clip as well or is it just the band

sorry to ask such basic questions
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 01:22   #13
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hiya,

yeah that's the thread I meant. Looking at that, it's just the band to replace the exhaust housing - I couldn't remember. Just ensure when the swap is done and the band correctly tightened again (noting the locating pin between the exhaust housing and turbo) that the turbine spins freely and doesn't contact the exhaust housing.

It's possible the different housings will have built up exhaust deposits in different areas, so if it catches you may be able to lightly sand away the deposits causing the problem.

HTH, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 01:43   #14
SUBURBAN KID

I'm glad this one is looking sorted, was feeling a bit twitchy, but I had an idea that they were very similar. Hope it swaps easy for you.
Just had a full weekend of crankcase ventilation hell and bust me power steering pump too.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 21:09   #15
cryz2

Thanks guys i will keep you all up to date

got the turbo today , i am going to try and split the turbo unit on the car ,

i just hope it all works out

thanks again

si

Last edited by cryz2; Apr 29th, 2009 at 21:47.
cryz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 00:47   #16
cryz2

Bit of an up date guys

i replaced mt turbo today YUK all the pipes were full of oil , and the shaft had loads of play , and i could see some marks on the wheel ,

i split the turbo i got off salvo , and joind it to my flat flang manifold ,

most of the smoke has gone , i left the car at idle for about an hour,

but i still get a bit of smoke !! now this is the odd bit , i get quite a lot of smoke at idle , but none when the car ,is reved up or on the move ,
i
i cleand as much oil from the pipe work and the manifold , as i could , also replaced all the vac lines , as they were in a bad state
took the car for a 45 min drive to try and clear any oil left in the pipes , exhorst etc ,

has anyone any idears on what this could be

thanks again for all your help