Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2001 1.9D lack of power

Views : 19912

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2011, 01:55   #1
Billybob 780

Default V40 2001 1.9D lack of power

Hi there, Can anyone help? Ive just bought a 2001 V40 1.9D that has a total lack of power.I can put my foot to the floor and you are Lucky it to get to go over 3000 rpm (eventually) alarming if you try pulling away from traffic lights etc. When I bought it I noticed the Mass air flow meter was unplugged, so I believed that to be the fault as well as the lack of an air filter element, so I replaced both. However after further investigation the glow plug relay is unplugged, I also found after removing the engine cover off that the throttle shut off housing has been broken and repaired with fibre glass, insulation tape and wood screws!!!! and finally underneath that is what looks like an idle speed control valve with a grey vw/audi plug disconnected.In light of all this messing I'm concerned that the vacuum hoses have probably been incorrectly connected or bi-passed. Can anyone offer advice and photos of the correct routing of the vac pipes? Thanks for any help
Billybob 780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 01:33   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

My brothers '03 was suffering from a similar problem, foot to the floor, none of the usual low down power and took an age to pick up. So, after cleaning my own EGR Valve (see also Biotoxic's thread), I thought by cleaning the EGR valve on his car it may solve the problem. Cleaned the valve (there was a mountain of grime/sludge) reassembled everything and went for a spin, no change...Doh!!!

Unplugged the MAF sensor/meter, took it for a spin and power somewhat restored, so, it seems his was suffering from a duff sensor/meter (he hasn't replaced it yet because it's near €300 from the dealer). No fault code shown on cheap code reader.

Did you replace the MAF sensor with a genuine Siemens part # 5WK9 632 (Volvo P/N 30887504)? Some generic (eBay) sensors won't give correct readings.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 14:42   #3
v8 rick

i know its not the same motor but as baffler has just said cheap maf`s of ebay arn`t worth a toss tbh i bought one for my old 2001 rover 45 diesel , it lasted 1 day then ran worse than the original , however once unplugged it ran fine but just restricted rpm over 4000 rpm .
it may be an idea to get a garage to read any stored codes .

rick.
v8 rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2011, 18:40   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

These any help?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 23:19   #5
Billybob 780

Thumbs up

Yeah great thanks, Iv stripped the old girl down awaiting parts. Ive now also found when wondering why the thermostat housing was leaking that the stat bein taken out and not replaced!! Ow my bank account!!!!
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 19:06   #6
Billybob 780

Hi folks,
Right Ive cleaned the EGR vavle, replaced the broken throttle shut off housing, replaced the MAF sensor, replaced the missing thermostat and air cleaner element. I checked the routing of the vac hoses. Now other than there is a black electronic unit underneath the vacuum storage cannister that does not have a pipe going to the the multiplug end I'm stumped. The car still refuses to rev above 2500 rpm. Is there a throttle position sensor? Or has anyone got any other ideas?
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 22:28   #7
Billybob 780

Anyone??????
Old May 5th, 2011, 22:17   #8
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool

I am not sure if pm reply reached you so I post it here, Try this one.
If you cleaned your EGR valve and Inlet manifold, if the car struggles to accelerate from low rpms, if you have that DPI filter( or what ever that name was) You can fix that sluggishness by driving on motorway.

Quote:
Before you do the fallowing, check that the oil and engine coolant level are within the recomended limits!!!!!!!!

Shift in 4th and drive about 2 miles around 4000rpms... I did this just today, around 3500 rpms I was doing close to 76mph. After those two miles shift it to 5th and do a normal driving for few miles. When you reach your destination
let the car idle for at least not less than 2-3 minutes. Turbo, exhaust pipe and some other parts will get really hot during those 2 miles at 4000rpms. So it is essential that you let the engine cool down before you switch of the engine.

Reason for doing this is that at those high rpms and temperatures oil residue, soot or other particles will just burn away leaving exhaust pipe and that filer that picks up and cleans exhaust fumes clean. This should even burn or melt any soot off from cylinder heads and some oil residue from valves as well. Some or most of you have probably seen how my cylinder head looked like after I removed that.. soot everywhere, it even blocked one of the injector nozzles.

Oh yeah, and after that fast drive when you leave you car idling for those few minutes, open up the bonnet and just in case look for any oil leaks

This should cure sluggishness eventually.

If some one try this, then let us know how it went.
This worked for me.
Although, you may not reach 4000rpm's but this should clean piston heads. valves and other stuff.. soot should just burn away... Check for any oil leaks and check oil and coolant level before you do that

Last edited by Biotoxic; May 5th, 2011 at 22:21. Reason: added last sentence
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 16:00   #9
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool

another suggestion.... make a note of your radio code and disconnect battery over night, this should reset/restart ecu when you put battery back in a car.. maybe because of that removed egr part and other disconnected cables ecu is not letting you rev over 2500 rpm... This is just a suggestion, if someone else could confirm this then go ahead with that. I thought about this on my way home

Removing battery overnight should clear ecu memory, so if there is any previously stored fault or error in ecu( wich happened after you bought your car) it should clear. So if you will be able to rev past 2500 rpm's that would mean than one of the part you changed was faulty and ecu limited power because of that. Give as a shout how it goes after that

Last edited by Biotoxic; May 7th, 2011 at 16:06.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote