Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help me break my car

Views : 746

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 18:03   #1
BobbyV

Default Help me break my car

Realised I am going to struggle to sell up so thinking about breaking her but need someone who knows what their doing. Obviously they would get paid, if you have time, a driveway and are handyy with a spanner let me know.
BobbyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 18:21   #2
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default breaking??

are you certain???

you will have parts in your garage/loft/garden for the next 15 years

advice--get a list of things people want and what you get for it

calculate if it is worth it.

PM- what car are you talking about?? anything special???

good luck
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 18:40   #3
BobbyV

well already started a thread, its a s40, and i was going to ask the person breaking it to do it at theres
The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyV For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 19:25   #4
twinturbo

I have broken many cars (unfortunately I am not in your area) and always make back far more than selling complete.

TT
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 23:09   #5
wooble
Stay gold baby!

The qualifier the above is - if demand is there! I've broken 3 240s and a 940 in the past 2 years, and I have a shed packed with parts - parts that people 'would pick up next week', parts that people 'don't need now', and things I saved that I thought would sell but haven't. About the only good thing is I've spent less than £100 on parts for my own 240s in those past 2 years!

Also be prepared for people haggling a lot and wanting ridiculously low prices on things. I've only probably made a £200-£300 profit on each car I've broken, which isn't much when you consider all the running around you have to do, visits to the post office, raiding the supermarket for old cardboard boxes, waiting around for people to come and pick stuff up, hours answering emails and PMs. If you don't have a handy yard to do it in, the whole thing has to be done quickly - you can't leave a stripped or half-stripped car sitting around in public view for long or you'll have the neighbours calling the council, and that's if some pikeys don't liberate it in the night.

On the other hand, it's very easy to physically break a car - just keep removing nuts and bolts until the desired part falls off. You don't have to worry about putting anything back together again or making it work.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 23:22   #6
twinturbo

there is no such thing as ridiculously low offers. if there is no demand theres no value.

So stick something on ebay on a free listing (happens usualy every 2-3 weekends) weekend, at a price. if it has no bids do it again next time untill your at 99p which you can list forever for free.

Just add a couple of quid to the postage to cover your time.

my old 855 was worth about £400 on ebay, broke it for £2500.

Some stuff takes time to shift if you insist on good money for it.

TT
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:19   #7
Anadinolin
VOC Member

aww i was getting rather hopeful there...i have a sledgehammer in the loft and a lead right foot....things always seem to "break" on my friends cars when i drive them..and sometimes my own i dont think it will come off as one whole unit though, which is what your aiming for lol
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:38   #8
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyV View Post
Realised I am going to struggle to sell up so thinking about breaking her but need someone who knows what their doing. Obviously they would get paid, if you have time, a driveway and are handyy with a spanner let me know.
Whereabouts in Notts are you? I'm all the way down in the south of the county, I have some useful tools (breaker bar, impact driver/sockets, hammers, etc.), but it's not gonna be on my driveway when it happens.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 23:01   #9
BobbyV

Live in SOuthwell, problem i have is i can get rid of most of the bits but the am stuck with a car on bricks... plus my landlord lives next door and would go ape if he saw me doing this on his driveway... atm of on holiday for 5 weeks tomorrow, then leaving for america, might put the car into storage and see what i do for the next year, just went for a drive today and feel horrible breaking a perfectly good car.