Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide/How to remove EGR valve/Turbo

Views : 15303

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2010, 21:45   #1
Biotoxic
Master Member

Default Guide/How to remove EGR valve/Turbo

DIY
*Caution*
I am NOT a mechanic, I am NOT an electrician, I am NOT a certified plumber,
but I CAN fix things.
Due to this I am not responsible for your mistakes or any damage that might occur while doing this.

This Is how I removed Turbo, EGR valve and manifold.
Lets get to the point!

1. Remove that big pipe...

using flat head screwdriver. Easy enough. It's green because it's easy to remove or easy to access it, red is hard to access.

2.Remove the sensor using flat head screwdriver, do not brake the plastics holding it in place. Fairly simple.

after that use the same screwdriver to get that clip off from just bellow the sensor. Use it from one side and carefully lift it off, once the one side is off, you can use you fingers to get it off completely.

3.Unscrew these bolts.

4. Remove the rubber hoses simply by pulling them off.

and unscrew the bolts and remove the black thing.

remove this as well but you can keep hoses attached to it.

In the end it looks like this.

5.That valve removed.

6. It looked like this.

I removed air filter cover for easy access to bolts and hoses.
Remove filter itself or it will stain easily.

7.Remove 3 bolts that holds first part of EGR valve(I had only two bolts there so I found why and where my engine oil went missing two weeks after oil change) NB: I used older picture, so it contains some parts that were removed in previous pictures.

8. Remove inner part of EGR valve by using some anti rust spray, Carb cleaner (or something like that)
To remove it, I used a peace of wooden stick and rubber hammer. Try to hit it with a little force, bit by bit, turn it clockwise and then a few degrees anticlockwise (thx gatos for information about this).
Do that until you are able to use both your hands and then just one hand. Then turn it so you can use one edge and slowly using wooden stick and hammer force it out, bit by bit.

then it looks like this:

This is why you should clean things once in a while. There was a noticeable gap between that seal and main body, that's why things started to fail. Easiest thing is just replacing the part, but cleaning works fine as well. Recommend it.

cleaned

That`s it for EGR now, its turbo removal next.

1. Remove the bolts

OPTIONAL: Remove heat shield for more space
2.Bolt marked with red arrow is under those two bolts, hard to access that's why its red.

P.S. Use rust removal or some kind of anti rust remover, those bolts are quite tight.

red arrow indicates that bolt and turbo removal directions.
--Edit---
Under turbo itself, there is oil return pipe, 2 bolts there. Bolt closer to engine was the hardest one to reach, small working area and deep inside engine compartment

More pictures of failed turbo.

looks like its been working hard..

Nice and clean

That`s it, my first dismantled turbo.
Currently looking for a new one....
Maybe someone can suggest some a bit bigger turbo that doest need any engine modification to handle more power? I've heard that performance ones cost roughly the same as replacement turbo.
(S40 1.9 sport Turbo diesel, 2002, manual. 115 hp)

Feel free to correct me, I will edit this text if necessary.

Hope this helped to someone.

Tags:
Removal, fix it yourself, EGR valve, Turbo removal, Turbo, Oil, cleaning, hoses, engine
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote