Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 for sale

Views : 3342

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 09:43   #1
justfloyd
justfloyd

Default 145 for sale

Hi all,
I can't believe no one has replied to any of my message's !
Yesterday I said I was thinking of selling my 145 and no one
has said a word ! is there no one interested then ?
justfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:14   #2
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

it might help if you told people what price you where looking for?
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 19:25   #3
justfloyd
justfloyd

I have no idea how much to sell it for, though I would think nothing under a thousand.....
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 20:01   #4
skidje
Master Member

and somebody who says less than 1000 is a limit and asks 30 minutes later 2000 in again another message is difficult to follow!!! Hope you will not start another topic on the sales of the 145!

Goodluck
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 21:45   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Smile 145 for sale

Well, in good roadworthy condition, ready for use and not needing any remedial work, with a full or near-full MoT, I reckon you could perhaps be looking at between £1500 and £1800.

If the car is basically sound, but in need of any work, then perhaps £600 to £800 is nearer the mark.

If the car is not roadworthy then you'll be lucky to get £300.

From the little bit of information you've provided so far I reckon your car is towards the bottom the middle £600 to £800 range there, assuming it has a reasonable length of MoT and is taxed, at least enough for a buyer to drive it home.

You mention a few rust spots, but you need to be completely clear as to what you mean by this.

If you are looking for top-dollar price then you need to put together a top-dollar ad. This means a clear and honest description, with details of any recent work done, MoT validity, details of advisories issued or work done for the last MoT, details of how much tax is left on the car.

It's highly likely that your buyer will need to travel to view and to collect the car, so you need to make as much information available as possible in order to make the decision to travel to view an easier one.

I'm 200 or so miles from you, and were I looking for a 145, I honestly wouldn't bother with a 400-mile round trip to view yours based upon what you've shown so far!

That said, your car doesn't look too bad in your gallery photos, but judging by the leaves on the trees in the background, these are not recent photos, and sadly, they are not very clear, especially the interior shots. These pictures could be 5 years old, and the car now look like a dog's dinner for all the viewer knows! Can I also suggest that you take some decent quality photos, and post them with your ad, not simply by reference to your forum gallery. Making it difficult for the prospective buyer to track down the pictures is a sure-fire turn-off!

So, in summary, get some good photos to go with the ad, write an honest and objective description, name a price, but make it realistic! Check out Practical Classics magazine for a valuation.

Don't mean this to sound like a lecture, I'd like to think that your car went to a true Volvologist and that you get a fair price.

But if you want someone to be serious about buying your car, you need to come across as serious about selling it!

Good luck

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 22:19   #6
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi Floyd I have looked at the nine pictures in your profile album and I think it looks quite clean and in straight condition.The front seats are definately cracked as YOU stated so no suprise there.
I think if you can put some really nice pictures here and more information regarding any history and any other recent work done.You basically need to "SELL" your car to us.Yes we can be piccy but if we can't see how good it is then we can't honestly appreciate how good it is.
Lots more info needed.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 00:19   #7
Moosejaw
Premier Member

Five separate posts for the same car and not one picture, only a very vague idea of price, and hardly any details about the car.
Not really doing it for me I'm afraid........
Took me 10 seconds to find a reasonable ad, plucked totally at random from another section....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116258

That's more along the lines that'll get your car sold.
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 09:25   #8
justfloyd
justfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Well, in good roadworthy condition, ready for use and not needing any remedial work, with a full or near-full MoT, I reckon you could perhaps be looking at between £1500 and £1800.

If the car is basically sound, but in need of any work, then perhaps £600 to £800 is nearer the mark.

If the car is not roadworthy then you'll be lucky to get £300.

From the little bit of information you've provided so far I reckon your car is towards the bottom the middle £600 to £800 range there, assuming it has a reasonable length of MoT and is taxed, at least enough for a buyer to drive it home.

You mention a few rust spots, but you need to be completely clear as to what you mean by this.

If you are looking for top-dollar price then you need to put together a top-dollar ad. This means a clear and honest description, with details of any recent work done, MoT validity, details of advisories issued or work done for the last MoT, details of how much tax is left on the car.

It's highly likely that your buyer will need to travel to view and to collect the car, so you need to make as much information available as possible in order to make the decision to travel to view an easier one.

I'm 200 or so miles from you, and were I looking for a 145, I honestly wouldn't bother with a 400-mile round trip to view yours based upon what you've shown so far!

That said, your car doesn't look too bad in your gallery photos, but judging by the leaves on the trees in the background, these are not recent photos, and sadly, they are not very clear, especially the interior shots. These pictures could be 5 years old, and the car now look like a dog's dinner for all the viewer knows! Can I also suggest that you take some decent quality photos, and post them with your ad, not simply by reference to your forum gallery. Making it difficult for the prospective buyer to track down the pictures is a sure-fire turn-off!

So, in summary, get some good photos to go with the ad, write an honest and objective description, name a price, but make it realistic! Check out Practical Classics magazine for a valuation.

Don't mean this to sound like a lecture, I'd like to think that your car went to a true Volvologist and that you get a fair price.

But if you want someone to be serious about buying your car, you need to come across as serious about selling it!

Good luck

Cheers

Jack
Hi Jack,
yes your totally right, I haven't put enough information about the car and it's history on here ! The thing is I don't have much experience in this field and I knew from sending the second post that I was doing something seriourly wrong !
OK I could probably do most of what you advise but this is going to be differcult for me. I will try my best. (regards to the photo's) they were taken last summer.
I do have a question though, (regards to MOT & TAX) with MOT running out on April 5th and tax running out April 30th is it worth me renewing all this if I want to sell the car, I mean I thought there is still a bit of time left on them so what's the point in me doing this ? If I did renew all and then someone is interested in buying the car what happens then? do I get my money back for the road tax or do I just pay the £205 for the year and lose out on this ?
regards
floyd
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:02   #9
justfloyd
justfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Hi Floyd I have looked at the nine pictures in your profile album and I think it looks quite clean and in straight condition.The front seats are definately cracked as YOU stated so no suprise there.
I think if you can put some really nice pictures here and more information regarding any history and any other recent work done.You basically need to "SELL" your car to us.Yes we can be piccy but if we can't see how good it is then we can't honestly appreciate how good it is.
Lots more info needed.
Regards Brian.
Thanks Brian,
I will try to put more information about the car..
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:06   #10
Michael J
Master Member

Early April MOT isn't worth much imo, so I'd put it in for a test asap - it doesn't actually have to pass, you're doing this to check the state of the vehicle. Don't bother retaxing it yet.

If it passes then yippee, a nice long MOT for the buyer (enhances price).

If it fails then either fix/retest or adjust for the required work in the price.