Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 164 parts! - Nearly Free!!!!

Views : 3906

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 13:17   #11
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean706 View Post
Hi Paul, I was unaware it was such a big job, I figured it was just a case of changing the inlet manifold and maybe thee distributor :-S
Can you give me a call tonight, after 8pm? Or txt ur number and I'll call you
The injection on a 164 has a completely independent loom from the rest of the electrics. It is a highly complex system and you won't get it to run in a stripped down version. On the inner wing there are two relays that control the fuel pump, the other thing on the inner wing is the manifold pressure sensor. Additionally there are two temperature sensors, air and coolant, there is a thermal timer that controls the cold start valve, a second set of points in the bottom half of the distributor which tell the injectors when to fire, a throttle switch, this isn't just on/off like a modern car but it actually sends throttle opening info to the brain, a fuel pump and finally the brain under the driver's seat.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 14:45   #12
Sean706

Wow, that certainly does sound complicated compared to the usual injection system from the 70's!

So my next question follows on from what was put before - Which parts do i require to convert it to run carbs? On most engines it is usually just a matter of changing the inlet manifold and dizzy but as these arent x-flow engines, do I need to change the exhaust aswell? Blocking the injector holes is easy enough in that I will just cut them off?

Please help!
Sean706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 15:14   #13
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Yes, it's an electronic system - more late 80s than early 70s. They later went back to mechanical injection (in 240s and 740s, etc) as the EFI proved unpopular (reliability problems?).

As far as I'm aware, the injector holes are in the manifold, so no problems there. You should be able to swap manifolds (dizzy *may* be unnecessary) and add a suitable fuel pump (or a regulator on the end of the EFI pump?). I think the exhaust manifolds should be swappable.

Any particular reason why you want to ditch the injection kit? They made more power...and I doubt you'd have much trouble in something as short-lived as a banger race.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 15:36   #14
Sean706

I wanna put carbs on for reliability really. In my experience with injection all it takes is for one wire to get trapped or cut and then its game over. Specificially if the system is as complicated as it sounds. I have a facet pump in my banger wiring so as long as I can get carbs I should be able to make it run no problems, I would imagine with the distributor having traditional points in the top of it, I could just cut off the electronic stuff and put a normal 12v coil on and bingo! I'd have a spark?!

The chap that has a manifold and carbs in his broken into shed - I will pay courier and then sort out getting the parts to you? The car is being raced in Wimbledon so could possibly meet you?

This said, I do have a chap called Scott going to look for some carbs for me when he gets home from holiday this week. And he wants interior parts. Anything that is left over once whoever lends me some carbs has had their fill will be put up on here for beer money + postage
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 15:42   #15
Sean706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean706 View Post
The chap that has a manifold and carbs in his broken into shed - I will pay courier and then sort out getting the parts to you? The car is being raced in Wimbledon so could possibly meet you?
What I mean is if you would be willing to box up and post off the carbs and manifold (linkage?) To me, I would obviously pay postage cost and then once I have all the parts ready I will arrange getting the bits to you.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 19:26   #16
940_Turbo

The ports are the same as a carb car, basically you need the combined inlet/exhaust manifold with the carbs and the linkage.

The distributor has ignition points so will work happily with the injection part unplugged

http://auto-onderdelen.marktplaats.n...burateurs.html
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 19:53   #17
Sean706

Thank you for that buddy, much appreciated!

Is the exhaust downpipe the same? I would hate to lose the twin pipes - well more accurately the noise associated with the twin downpipes!!

I really do appreciate all the help being given, fingers crossed I can get the parts!

Sean
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 13:17   #18
ALLOA
Master Member

Default Interchangability!

OK - Perhaps a daft question! I have had a combined cast inlet / exhaust manifold with twin strombergs on it sitting in my garage for several years now. What will this be off? I was under the impression that all 120 / 140s with twin carbs were fitted with SUs and not strombergs.

Cheers

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 13:21   #19
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

How many pots is the manifold laid out for, that'd be a big clue!

I didn't realise they were all one part...shows how much attention I've paid!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 14:19   #20
ALLOA
Master Member

Its in the garage and I'm in the middle of the North Sea! It'll need to wait until the weekend

Cheers

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote