Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil change

Views : 7346

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 20:26   #41
MrAngry

I know Volvo (and indeed other manufacturers) insist that additives are not used in their boxes, but I've had success with using something on problematic autoboxes.

http://www.lubegard.co.uk/buynow/pro...products_id/36

I've used this on the ZF 5 and 6 speed autoboxes in Land Rover/Range Rover boxes as well as the very problematic GM gearboxes in the full fat Range Rover Td6. All of these use a specific fluid (although gearbox is sealed for life) and it is not just a Dex3 fluid (except the GM unit). The dealer option is a £6,000 replacement.

However, on 4 vehicles showing hard shifting, all 4 were solved using this additive, fresh fluid and a filter change + software flash.

My wife's V70 D5 is starting to crash into gears under load so I wanted this to be tried in hers.
MrAngry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 09:51   #42
ymc30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngry View Post
My wife's V70 D5 is starting to crash into gears under load so I wanted this to be tried in hers.
Any follow up on hers please?

C30 SE Lux 2.0D / V70 D4 SE Lux / Miata NCFL 2.0 Sport Tec
Sold: C70 T5 / several C30s in different flavours / V50 D4 Geartronic
ymc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 11:47   #43
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Mr Angry was last on line in Sept 2014 so it's unlikely he will respond.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 23:50   #44
Christerart
VOC Member

Jess and I decided this spring we should get a caravan in order to have a place to sleep while we get our 9 m yacht ready for the season on the Swedish west coast.

At the time we had a 140 hp auto V70 with no hitch so I found a 170 hp Auto V70 on eBay and did what I always do when I buy a Volvo - changed the cam belt and tensioners as well as a transmission dump. Was nice and red but I did it anyway - cheap enough to do for piece of mind..=*^)

As it turned out we had to leave Joya on the hard this summer so there I was with two V70's and one C70 and no caravan..=*^)

But then I found a Euro 3 D5 (high mileage - 209K and Nivomats in very good shape) and told myself "this is a better hauler" so bought that, sold the 140 and the 170 and did the same thing with the D5 - transmission dump and oil change. Didn't do a cam belt as it had had one only 20K miles earlier (the third one). According to the paperwork it had been well looked after and mainly done highway miles between Scotland and London and the transmission fluid was quite red and the gear changes were very smooth but changed it anyway. Also put some Lubegard (red) in it.

Since I bought it end of August we've put 4K miles on it (Sweden and back) and the transmission oil is still very red. By the time we came back the readout said 52.3 miles/average and it ran sweet as can be.

Haven't found a caravan yet but plan on installing a trans cooler before we leave for Sweden by end of April - hopefully with a caravan.

I'll do another tranny dump and Lubegard before we leave too - cheap preventive insurance.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 13:53   #45
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

My X90 '06 has flared " hard shifted " from third to fourth for a few years but lately got worse , so I did a full flush (20 Ltrs) , but this made no difference , so I added a bottle of Lucas atf conditioner , this made a hell of a difference ! Third to fourth still goes with a slight bump sometimes , but the other gears change so smoothly
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 21:04   #46
daniel mossey

Got the gearbox fluid recently and will do the flush soon. I think reading I will do just a few dumps with the gearbox over a period of time. Is this as affective to the gibbons method?
Dan
daniel mossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 09:06   #47
sreviz
Master Member

I Think sump and dump is the most effective way. I did flush gibbons method last year . Again this year my fluid is brownish.
During flush there will some oil left inside the system somewhere.
But sump and dump will circulate oil everywhere and at the end of 6th or 7th dump you will get 99.9% fresh oil.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sreviz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 16:42   #48
daniel mossey

Thanks for your input. I will do it soon. The fill hole on mine is it accessible without taking away the air box plastics?
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 19:40   #49
sreviz
Master Member

Yes long flexi neck funnel will do the Job. No need to take the Airbox away.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sreviz For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 22:27   #50
daniel mossey

Ok thanks I have no dipstick just have to look up some pictures for fill hole.