Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modern paint quality

Views : 593

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:42   #1
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Default Modern paint quality

Being in the position of owning a 23 year-old 340 and an 8 year old V70, the 340 being dark blue, the V70 a gorgeous burgundy, I can make the following observation:

The newer paint finish does not have the depth and lustre of the old. I'm sure of this. Last weekend I cleaned and waxed both cars. Both came up extremely well, but the 340 seems to have a 'hardness' (I can't describe it any better) about the finish which makes for a great depth of shine. The V70 polished up, but it felt more of a superficial finish.

Anyone else in a position to make comments?

PS as for the white Nissan Micra my teenagers drive... great little car, but the paint is like a duvet cover. Hopeless to polish.
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:59   #2
Bill_56
Premier Member

Are you certain all the V70's paint is original?

Car makers switched from solvent-based paint to water based around twenty years ago, in order to save the planet.

It's often claimed that water-based paint chips more easily, and my observations would support that. In turn, that makes it more likely that a dealer prepping a used car for sale will simply send it to the paint shop for a bonnet respray.

Alternatively, has the V70 paint maybe suffered more from surface contamination thanks to the water-based finishes... run your hand over the paint after cleaning, does it feel rough? In that case, a clay-bar prior to polish/wax can make an immense difference.

I agree about the Micra. As a 'treat' for the Mother in law (and an excuse to be outside), the last time she visited I spent a whole day washing, claying, polishing and waxing her Micra. That's en endeavour that yields immense rewards on our Polo and my S60, but the Micra still looked unremarkable at the end of it.

Last edited by Bill_56; Jul 6th, 2011 at 10:11.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:26   #3
Bill_56
Premier Member

Apologies for consecutive posts, but on further research after posting I came across a VOC page that lets you identify what kind of paint was used post-1988 (might include your 340?). It makes interesting reading....

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/paint_colour_codes.shtml

Anyway, I'll try and shut up now and let somebody else get a word in

- Bill
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:13   #4
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Wow! That's impressive! I start off asking a rather obscure question and end up with a detailed list of paint types for each model. So I presume the 340 just snuck in under the planet-killing enamel paint rather than the watery modern stuff.

Thanks for this.

Best wishes

Joe
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 18:45   #5
Laney760
VOC Member

Talking

Last week I visited my parents who own a 1996 850 and it was the first time they have seen my 1988 760 which I've owned for the last two and a half years

My Dad's first comment after hello was that he was expecting me to arrive in an old banger but that my car is in better nick than his (which is excellent) and we both observed many times last week that my paint job is superior to his :-))

He proceeded to wash and wax the 850 whilst I was there but mine still looked better after he had finished!!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote