Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Courtesy

Views : 1022

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2011, 21:29   #1
gillberry
VOC Member

Default Courtesy

On the way back from a short break with our caravan today we had a 3 series BMW convertible come shooting up behind us . As the road was fairly wide I moved our outfit as close to the kerb as I dare to give the BMW the opportunity to pass . This he did and as he went past and seeing he was a young lad I was about to moan to my other half about it would be nice if people said thank you for me moving over when sure enough the young lad driving the BMW winked both of his indicators to say thanks for moving over .
To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 21:35   #2
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
On the way back from a short break with our caravan today we had a 3 series BMW convertible come shooting up behind us . As the road was fairly wide I moved our outfit as close to the kerb as I dare to give the BMW the opportunity to pass . This he did and as he went past and seeing he was a young lad I was about to moan to my other half about it would be nice if people said thank you for me moving over when sure enough the young lad driving the BMW winked both of his indicators to say thanks for moving over .
To say I was gobsmacked was an understatement .
So am I.

I didn't think BMWs had indicators!

C.A.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 22:03   #3
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Friend of mine has just bought a BMW 3series Estate - I was poking around inside it when I noticed it DID have indicators fitted.

From what I can work out, its a "rocker" arrangement with the switch - 2 possible ways .. "tap" and it self centers, gives a short nubmer of flashes or "push to the stop" but rather than "clicking" it again returns to center.

Didn't have ignition on so couldnt actually test it - but it would explain why they seem to never signal or only signal for a flash at the last second. Badly designed indicator stalk!
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 22:09   #4
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen.Agfa View Post
So am I.

I didn't think BMWs had indicators!

C.A.
Mine does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
Friend of mine has just bought a BMW 3series Estate - I was poking around inside it when I noticed it DID have indicators fitted.

From what I can work out, its a "rocker" arrangement with the switch - 2 possible ways .. "tap" and it self centers, gives a short nubmer of flashes or "push to the stop" but rather than "clicking" it again returns to center.

Didn't have ignition on so couldnt actually test it - but it would explain why they seem to never signal or only signal for a flash at the last second. Badly designed indicator stalk!
The 3-series etstate that I have the indicator stalk works like this.... short push up or down makes the car indicate either 1 flash or 3 (depending on setting in computer). Pushing it harder/further up or down (sorry for the pun!) will make the indicated stay on. The actual stalk always return to middle/centre position directly after being pushed short or long. Same goes for the stalk that controls the wipers.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 22:23   #5
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Thought that might have been the case!
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 22:26   #6
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

Arrow

I drove a 118d last night (a friends) and I also found an indicator stalk installed and when I moved it in the same way I use indicator stalks in other vehicles, it actually made the indicators work like in other cars, I was very puzzled by this and not trusting the dash lights, I got out of the car to check and lo behold they WERE working on the exterior of the car. So I can only deduce that BMW dealers are not aware of this update to their cars and so are not informing their customers of this new fact.
I may write to Watchdog to confirm these findings so that BMW customers can be called to other dealers outside the BMW brand (obviously) for a brief training session in the use of what other drivers call indicators.
Leeds Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds Lad For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 22:34   #7
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds Lad View Post
I drove a 118d last night (a friends) and I also found an indicator stalk installed and when I moved it in the same way I use indicator stalks in other vehicles, it actually made the indicators work like in other cars, I was very puzzled by this and not trusting the dash lights, I got out of the car to check and lo behold they WERE working on the exterior of the car. So I can only deduce that BMW dealers are not aware of this update to their cars and so are not informing their customers of this new fact.
I may write to Watchdog to confirm these findings so that BMW customers can be called to other dealers outside the BMW brand (obviously) for a brief training session in the use of what other drivers call indicators.
... and while you're at it, you might ask them about Audi drivers and cars, too.

C.A.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 22:42   #8
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

Quote:
... and while you're at it, you might ask them about Audi drivers and cars, too.

C.A.
I feel I would need a drive in an Audi to cross reference these findings, however my nerves would be shot having to drive at approx 3mm from everyones rear bumpers and I have never been sure of the hand signals that come from Audis when they do pass you (cos they will you know) so I feel I may pass on this experiment as having to read the handbook regarding the afformentioned hand signals may take more time than would be allowed in Audi world.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 22:49   #9
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds Lad View Post
I feel I would need a drive in an Audi to cross reference these findings, however my nerves would be shot having to drive at approx 3mm from everyones rear bumpers and I have never been sure of the hand signals that come from Audis when they do pass you (cos they will you know) so I feel I may pass on this experiment as having to read the handbook regarding the afformentioned hand signals may take more time than would be allowed in Audi world.
Well what did you expect, you were in their lane, after all.

C.A.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 23:01   #10
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

Quote:
Well what did you expect, you were in their lane, after all.

C.A.
Fair point, I also have noted that the hours of use of the public highway for Audi drivers only has been increased, but numerous googling of Audi hours only and Audi only highways have so far drawn a blank, I suspect these 'opening times' are only posted in Audi dealerships. I therefore am declining to enter an Audi dealership to see these rules and regulations, as I suspect I may feel violated in some way, and my beloved V70 may harbour thoughts of unfaithfulness and decide that hari kari may be the only way forward.