Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM Removal

Views : 4344

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 18:02   #1
Peter D
Peter D

Default ETM Removal

Well just spent 5 hrs removing the ETM, access it god dam awful. Even to remove the boost pipe to the ETM takes forever and is blind. I've left the job for now as the cable for the ETM is traped behind the rear support bracket for the starter motor, I may have to cut it off. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 18:09   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Disconnect the battery then remove the starter motor support bracket, its easier than cutting the ETM cable, that said if you do cut the ETM cable make sure its disconnected first and the six wires are colour coded so you can solder/ splice them back together - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 03:02   #3
t5monster

5hrs lol did you remove the fan that gives alot of extra room i undone starter motor bolt bent bracket and slid wire out and the etm is easy with 10mm spanner took me 30mins remove n refit with taking rad out
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:36   #4
Peter D
Peter D

No I left it in and wrestled working blind. Volvo should have made a jubilee success clip with an extended nut so it would stick outside the ETM casing then you could use a ratchet spanner on it. Regards Peter
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 13:03   #5
t5monster

the rada only 2 10mm bolts and 2 plugs and it lifts out it makes removing the etm hassle free
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 18:13   #6
Peter D
Peter D

I sent the ETM to Spokoluzik at http://volvodiagnostic.com/ and he has changed both potentiometers for Hall effect non contact devices and it is on it's way back to me. Before you ask £120 all in and no need to Reload Volvo S/W as it is the original ETM. 1 year warrantee. Regards Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter D For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 18:27   #7
mikealder
VOC Member

Thats a decent enough price, let us know how it behaves when its back in the car and what was the turn around time in getting it repaired, I think a few other forum members will benefit from this information - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 20:10   #8
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Thats a decent enough price, let us know how it behaves when its back in the car and what was the turn around time in getting it repaired, I think a few other forum members will benefit from this information - Mike
Agree....be very interesting to hear how it performs once it's back on the car.
I just know my module is gonna go pear shaped in the near future..so far no problem..and at 100k+ miles and 13 years I guess it's done well for a crap design part..LOL.!!
So do give us feedback please.

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 10:08   #9
Peter D
Peter D

I refitted the ETM and it fired up straight away. Once it was warm I took it for run to allow the ETM to adapt and it now runs very smoothly and has also overcome a flat spot I had. The dual channel hall effect device replaces both sets of pots so the SW2 element is internally disconnect and wired across to one hall effect of the SW1 module. Regards Peter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter D For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 18:33   #10
jeffreyt

if my current problems lead to the ETM I am going to have to remove it for refurbishment ( I hope 'volvodiagnostic' are still in business !).
It looks as if removing the fan/shroud gives some working room as noted in one of the posts.
Removing the fan/shroud looks to be fairly easy however, any problems I should be aware of in advance ?
Thanks
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffreyt For This Useful Post: