Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

144 For Sale

Views : 6114

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 18:57   #11
kishor kassie

Default 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave168 View Post
First of all would like to thank the Mod Team for letting me join this group in order to let people know my Uncle wish's to sell his pride and joy

It is a Volvo 144, on a K plate Gold and i think is in VGC. It is in London with a N1 postcode Millage is 89k, he has loved this car all of its time he has had it. And looked after it but now his health means it has to go.

Here are a few photo's

If any one wants more details please feel free to contack me via PM

Dave
Hi Dave. I await your call. My number is 078 2887 9494 or forward me with a number to call you. Ta. Kassie
kishor kassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 19:46   #12
Brian Walsh

Default Is this car still for sale?

Dave

Is car still available? If so I am interested

Brian
Brian Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 20:30   #13
Dave168

Sorry for the late reply, problems at home. And did you recive a e mail saying that you were interessed.

Yes the car is still on the market.

Dave
Dave168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 19:13   #14
DWeed144

Hi Everyone,

Dave was kind enough to show me the car on Saturday, and us having failed to come to an agreement on it, asked me to post my opinion on here to help other prospective buyers.

I best give you a bit of information about me so you know how much to trust my opinion! I have owned a 1971 Volvo 144 for about 4 months. The reason for me wanting to buy Dave's is that most importantly I don't have overdrive, and I thought it could be cheaper than restoring mine to that standard. So far I have swapped out a brake calliper, reconditioned another, replaced some parts on the brake servo and replaced the water pump. Prior to owning a volvo I did a nut and bolt restoration of a 1952 Land Rover where I learnt the majority of my limited skills.

Dave's car is in great shape. I saw it in the day time and tried to give it a thorough once over. In hindsight I wasn't as thorough as I wanted to be but I still think I had a pretty good look.

1. Rust
Only one major bit noticed - under the bonnet on the bulkhead - the trough to guide run off from the bonnet - rusted out under the rubber seal. More severe than on my 144, but it seemed limited to the trough itself - and everything around it seemed fine.

Tried to check as much under the car as possible, one of the front jacking points was rusty but that seemed to be it. Also one of the sills had been replaced I think (as it was grey not gold). Looked neat and tidy though.

2. Sunroof
Unfortunately while demonstrating the sunroof it started to make a crunching sound and refused to shut, however I took the opportunity to look in the gutters around it and there was no rust.

3. Engine
I didn't drive the car, but Dave took me for a drive. It is the injection model of the B20 and seemed to turn over nicely. The car was already warmed up when I arrived, so I don't know what its like on a cold start.

Things I definitely didn't check and know I should have checked:
Rust around windows
Condition of rubbers etc on windows
Engine things? (like the colour/smell of coolant - I heard that's something one should check!)
Condition of steering box
Steering linkages
Front wishbones and suspension assembly
Rear suspension assembly
Rust underneath Radiator mountings

Overall it was an impressive car, and I did my best to buy it! Unfortunately my budget did not match his expectations. Being new to the classic volvo scene I am not entirely confident on what anything is worth anyway!

There was no point me listing the things I liked about it, so this is just limited to the bad points I could find.

I hope this is helpful!

Reuben
DWeed144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 19:43   #15
DWeed144

Just to add to my post -
I read it though and it seems negative.
I am only pointing out the bad bits as they are the key issues.
All in all the car is in fantastic shape and as far as I could tell pretty much rust free. The rear wheel wells were like new.
I think the photos on the listing don't do the car justice.
Reuben
DWeed144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 20:00   #16
Dave168

Hi Reuben.

No problems at all with your report, and wish to Thank You for taking time to post it.

Dave
Old May 25th, 2013, 19:07   #17
Dave168

The car is still on the market, asking price is £2k ono
Please PM me for further details

Dave
Old May 25th, 2013, 20:21   #18
retro toe

say that very fair price car looks fab,good luck with sale hope finds good home
retro toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 21:47   #19
ajmounce

hi dave i would like to talk to you about ur volvo regarding to buy it its the gold one can you ring me A S P on havant 02392478218 i look forward to hearing from you john.
ajmounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:44   #20
turbotroll

Has this sold now? Dave I have sent you a PM
turbotroll is offline   Reply With Quote