Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 d5 engine system service message running fine

Views : 2511

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 21:19   #1
Niw756

Default V70 d5 engine system service message running fine

Hi all my first post here, my 09 v70 d5 only covered 29,000 miles has the engine system service message warning on the dash with the orange info sign appearing, the car runs fine.

I noticed the other day I could not turn on cruise control either, im new to these vehicles therefore any info is greatly appreciated. I read somewhere on here it could be a dodgy brake sensor? Or something to do with too much oil. It was service last month by Volvo edge ware road.

Thanks in advance

Nathan
Niw756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 21:43   #2
danielg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niw756 View Post
Hi all my first post here, my 09 v70 d5 only covered 29,000 miles has the engine system service message warning on the dash with the orange info sign appearing, the car runs fine.

I noticed the other day I could not turn on cruise control either, im new to these vehicles therefore any info is greatly appreciated. I read somewhere on here it could be a dodgy brake sensor? Or something to do with too much oil. It was service last month by Volvo edge ware road.

Thanks in advance

Nathan
I've got a V50 D5 that had the same message come up, make sure that the oil level is no higher than 3/4. Drive the car for a few days, try to get in a decent run on a motorway if possible, and the message should clear itself, this worked for me. Although it would also be worth getting any fault codes read as there may well be something else going on.

Never had the cruise control problem so wouldn't be able to comment on that or whether its related to something else that may be going on.

Hope that helps :-)
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 00:27   #3
Premier Member

It could be a faulty oxygen sensor in the DPF; there was a faulty batch fitted to late 2009 and 2010 cars, there a few references to this in the XC90 section.
I had this on my car, it ran perfectly well so I left it until the service was due and the dealer changed it under warranty.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 09:17   #4
Niw756

Interesting thanks for this. Interestingly this morning my handbrake wouldnt release automatically as i tried to reverse off the drive!, i had to manually push the button and the cruise control would not switch on again. The issue must be linked surely?

Also, plugged my scanguage into the obd port this morning, the gauges work fine, so tried the scan side, said no error codes found and none pending. Assuming this works on a volvo this looks like a minor issue bit one i need to get sorted.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
It could be a faulty oxygen sensor in the DPF; there was a faulty batch fitted to late 2009 and 2010 cars, there a few references to this in the XC90 section.
I had this on my car, it ran perfectly well so I left it until the service was due and the dealer changed it under warranty.

Last edited by Niw756; Mar 11th, 2013 at 09:33.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 10:39   #5
D5driver
No Spam here

The car just needs a service and the message reset. The cruise will start to work once the message is cleared.

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 10:46   #6
Niw756

thanks, it was serviced by volvo in edgware road in Feb 13, therefore it shouldnt need a service. How do i go about resetting the message, assume take to volvo and pay £50 or something?

Im happy to do whatever so long as the problem is cured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5driver View Post
The car just needs a service and the message reset. The cruise will start to work once the message is cleared.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 13:42   #7
D5driver
No Spam here

Have a look here: http://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/103/howt...98-2009-volvos

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5driver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 14:24   #8
Niw756

Brilliant thanks.

To sort this out, i rang Volvo Johnsons Oxford just now to book in on Wednesday to have a look, explained the situation, he was a really nice bloke and without me saying anything he said the light does come on if the oil levels been set too high, something which might have happened at the last service (last month at volvo). He also said it will knock out the cruise control when a warning message apprears.

Will keep you posted and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5driver View Post
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:50   #9
sharkyclark

Interestingly, I had my volvo s40 2008 at 75k miles serviced at johnsons oxford as well. They didnt seem to be aware of the oil issue at the time / forgot and filled oil to 100% and the day after the service my service message came on. So they bled some oil etc etc and everything was fine thereafter.

Aside from that I was happy with their service.
sharkyclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 22:08   #10
Niw756

I'm taking it to Oxford tomorrow to sort the problem out, it was serviced at volvo edgeware road in London last month, this dealer may have put too much oil in, ill let you know tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyclark View Post
Interestingly, I had my volvo s40 2008 at 75k miles serviced at johnsons oxford as well. They didnt seem to be aware of the oil issue at the time / forgot and filled oil to 100% and the day after the service my service message came on. So they bled some oil etc etc and everything was fine thereafter.

Aside from that I was happy with their service.