Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many 240 turbos in the UK?

Views : 12049

Replies : 105

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2013, 18:56   #21
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Sounds good but youll struggle to find a sub 50k car. They are known for eating up the mileage so finding a low one, particularly a GLT is going to be hard. I was surprised mine only had 127k on when I bought it. I was expecting double that

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2013, 00:07   #22
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would cautious of any sub 100,000 mile 240 and would not even consider anything below around 60,000 miles. The trouble with low millage cars is they suffer from lack of use. Lots of mechanical stuff will have seized such as brakes and often steering joints need replacing from lack of use.

I would much rather a car that has done 200,000 + with a good body. If you are doing a engine swap who cars if its done over a million miles other than it being a shame to modify a car with such high millage, it should just be driven and driven.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:25   #23
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STW240 View Post
Im currently searching for a good base 240 saloon for turbo conversion.

Looking for a 2.3 GLT 90-93 with sensible mileage, hopefully a 50k garage find (got post going in wanted ads).

This will be my daily & first volvo, always been into VW group stuff but want to get Into Retro stuff.

Had 1967 beetle with 2 litre engine build & Nitrous (good fun in straight line)
Mk3 golf GTI 16v
Scooby (opps)
Skoda fabia VRS

Currently have 1967 series 2a landy with hot v8 conversion and my daily Audi A3 sline (selling to replace with 240).

Plenty of post 90 GLT's on ebay but all estates.

Looking to source car, sort any bits & lpg whilst searching for good 230ft donor car.

I have other (non volvo) engine conversions under my belt, so all being well i should be joining club next year.

Regards

Simon

Well done to those already with 240 turbos & goodluck to those currently building.

Thanks in advance for help during conversion
The last year of the GLT was 1990, so you won't find any 91-93 ones. You'll also have a hard time finding a late saloon as saloon production stopped in 1990 or 1991. The 91-93 cars are much better set up for a turbo conversion, already having the appropriate loom and ECU setup in place. Mileage is a moot point if you're going for a turbo conversion, as Dai says, a sub-50k car that's 20 years old will be suffering failures through lack of use. Everything rubber will turn to dust, seals will have gone hard and start leaking, things like door hinges and steering joints seize up from lack of use, it's a nightmare. Much better to get a well-looked-after 100-200k mile car.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:23   #24
minesa240x3
loyalty

I just did a search of 240 turbo's and obviousely American ones came up. Nonetheless interesting reading .
First Volvo turbo launched by Volvo in 1983 last produced 1986.
The 240GLT Turbo was a 2,127cc engine,
Fitted with a GARRETT Airsearch BT03 Turbo
Compression ratio 7.5:1, Original comp was 9.3:1.
Max Power 127bhp at 5400rpm.
Max Torque 150lb.ft at 3.750rpm.
4 speed manual with overdrive.First gear was lowered and a higher final drive.
0 to 60mph in 8.9seconds,Max speed 107mph.
It was fitted with Sodium filled exhaust valve stems and stellate valve seats.
Uprated front dampers gas filled,rear antiroll bar thicker front antiroll bar.Uprated rear dampers.
Original price new $15.470.

And then I found some info on the Group A 1985 Saloon.
B21ET engine.2.141cc.
GARRETT Airsearch 13 with intercooler.
Bosch Fuel Injection.
Water injection system.
320bhp (250kw) at 6.600rpm.
Max Torque 400nm at 4.000-6000rpm.Considerably less than the 1984 to save fuel.
5 Speed Getrag manual gearbox.
Borg+Beck dry single disc clutch.
Dana Splicer Limited Slip Diff.
Bilstein gas filled front dampers.
Top Speed over 250km/h.

Do a google as theres loads of interesting info to wet your appetite Lol.

Regards Brian.

Last edited by minesa240x3; May 17th, 2013 at 01:33.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:39   #25
Magnumpi
Master Member

IIRC* the heads they used weren't of standard Volvo design rather bespoke proper race developed heads, thats were they would get those crazy power figures.

*I often don't

Wanted 240 parts: Front black hockey sticks
Saloon rear lights
Front suspension struts
Magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnumpi For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:32   #26
wooble
Stay gold baby!

The factory 240 turbo camshaft used a 405 or 531 head, as the standard head had to be retained for homologation purposes. A certain amount of porting/polishing was allowed, though, and the cylinder heads were modified by Grottis. A full-race cam was fitted, along with lightweight forged pistons, crank and rods. Combined with the Garrett T3/T4 turbo running over 20psi, a huge intercooler and water injection, that's easily enough to see the power figures quoted.

Some Group A cars were also fitted with an early form of traction control which could cut fuel to 2 cylinders when it sensed wheelspin. the system was tested, and even fitted to some racing cars, but reportedly never used in race conditions due to the fear of teething problems.

Source.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2013, 15:54   #27
Magnumpi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
The factory 240 turbo camshaft used a 405 or 531 head, as the standard head had to be retained for homologation purposes. A certain amount of porting/polishing was allowed, though, and the cylinder heads were modified by Grottis. A full-race cam was fitted, along with lightweight forged pistons, crank and rods. Combined with the Garrett T3/T4 turbo running over 20psi, a huge intercooler and water injection, that's easily enough to see the power figures quoted.

Some Group A cars were also fitted with an early form of traction control which could cut fuel to 2 cylinders when it sensed wheelspin. the system was tested, and even fitted to some racing cars, but reportedly never used in race conditions due to the fear of teething problems.

Source.

As soon as i wrote that the grey matter engaged and i thought "homelegation" so therefore the heads would have to be of a factory design. Like i say my memory is poor but i seem to remember seeing a rocker cover in one of the race cars with something non Volvo written on it, for example like a "Burton" head on a Ford. I thought it was on that source page too but apparently not.

Externally it does look fairly stock:

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/9399064

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/9399062

Wanted 240 parts: Front black hockey sticks
Saloon rear lights
Front suspension struts
Magnumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnumpi For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2013, 20:25   #28
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Could you be thinking of the 'two valve evo' head? it's a super-expensive performance head some crazy swedes make for the redblock. Costs about 10k dollars, last time I checked.
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2013, 21:32   #29
STW240

Thanks for the replys,

I missed them as i thought i was subscribed to thread but wasnt.

Fair arguements on the mileage front. I think a middle ground of around 100 to 150k would be best bet.

You say who cares about miles if im changing engine, but the engines not the only bit thats gone around that many times, gearbox, diff, wheel bearings, brakes, drive shafts, suspension (up/down) door hinges, linkages, all left behind when engine has gone.

I've realised how handy an estate would be to me now & seen some very cool ones. So im now shopping for a 90 to 93 estate.

If the 2.3 LH2.4 1990 to 93 cars are not GLT, what are they badge as ???
(still learning, im new to volvos)

Thanks again

Simon
STW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 23:18   #30
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well plenty of info coming out and I'm learning more all the time.Wether it will stick in my grey matter? I doubt.

The last few years 1990 to 1993 were predominantly SE (Special Edition??) models which were nothing special.
Then there were the Torslanda's but I'm pretty certain they were all 2.0L and mostly automatics.Quite basic Torslandas always being advertised as "The car built especially for harsh winter conditions,No complicated electrics to go wrong" A joke really they are just basic,No electric windows etc.

I own a J reg 1992 estate which is 2.0L auto.And a K reg 1993 estate which is 2.3L manual.The paint finish in my mind is not as good on the K reg models,Seems thin and bits that don't normally suffer from weather are affected.Like door locks and galvanised bits.

At the end of production you could pretty much order any spec as they were running out old stock.
Hence why my K reg has antilock brakes which is very rare on the 240 over here.

So later models (SE) can be a bit different.

I spent a very long time looking for a 2.3L manual as most were 2.0L auto or 2.3L auto?

Weirdly the K reg I own was I think Volvo's last attempt to bring it up to date a bit .It has Torx screws and bolts every where,It has tweeters in the rear doors,Different interior lights,The wiring loom is different? Well at least in colour.Relays are not in the usual places.Antilock brake system available.

A lot to take in but I'm well known for rambling on! Well someone has to be.

I'm sure there are other differences I haven't spotted yet and Haynes did a manual for 1974 to 1993 and a separate supplement for the K reg models.

Anyway someone on here will hopefully put me right on models and availability Lol.

Good debate though.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post: