Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do diesels rule?

Views : 2371

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2013, 20:07   #21
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
diesel for plodding, turbo petrol for fun, biggest problem with oil burners, however reliable, and however powerful, the power band is small, 1500-4000 Vs 2500-6500 on a turbo petrol
You've raised an interesting point about the power band. Driving the little Peugeot, the first thing I became aware of was the engine thrashing away at 3500rpm at our legal limit. Suddenly I realized why so many manufacturers are adding a 6th gear. My diesel on the other hand is ticking over at about 2400rpm at the same speed. It's a case of one mans (or woman's) meat is another mans (or woman's) poison. A friend of mine once remarked that he liked the sound and smell of a diesel. It's kind of agricultural in a way. I realized I liked it too. And just to confuse everyone.... My last two cars were petrol 3500cc V6 convertibles. A Merc SLK and a Nissan 350Z. One, a 7 speed auto, the other a 6 speed manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
, and found limits of engine and box on the T4, and exceeded them
My condolences Cookie, that must have been a sad day.
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 20:44   #22
krisby
2.5T screamer

The diesel will of course rev lower due to the engine characteristics, but also an auto will always be lower. My 528i auto was doing 2100rpm at 70mph (and from memory still under 3000rpm at 90), when I got the ST220, being a 3L I expected it to have long gearing as the engine can cope (as opposed to a buzzy 1600 peugeot that isn't really made for long distance touring), but no, 70mph was 3000rpm, my motorway cruising speeds were closer to 4000rpm, much too high for my liking and more akin to my old Toledo 2.3V5.
The 2.5T on the other hand, 2500rpm at 70mph in a manual, so I am very happy with that.
krisby is offline   Reply With Quote