Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECU Swap

Views : 2902

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2014, 17:57   #1
Lugy

Default ECU Swap

Evening folks, quick one I hope, I've been offered an S60 2.0T Auto (2002) which has an ECU fault. I've been told that I can swap in a matched ECU, key and ignition switch from a working car but the information was a bit vague. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Cheers

Lugy
Lugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 20:10   #2
reggit
Premier Member

More or less certain this can't be done, but I could be wrong. If it has a faulty ECU, you're far better getting it repaired.
What's wrong with the car?
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 21:09   #3
Lugy

Ah, boo! The car will only run on 4 cylinders, the car had a lot of time spent trying to diagnose the fault and I'm told the ECU was sent off for repairing but it turned out it couldn't be fixed.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 21:39   #4
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have been advised this can be done by swopping a matching set of ECM /steering column/key / fuse box / key transponder but I am not 100% certain it will work as may not communicate with existing modules such as CEM etc, a used set costs about £150 . Getting the ECM repaired seems most certain route or if not repairable it is possible to clone a working ECM with data from the faulty unit. I have a non starting V70 which I think has a faulty ECM but even with the aid of VCT2000/Vida cannot be certain its faulty, I do not want to go down the ECM repair route yet as I have not completely ruled out a wiring harness fault. Why does the seller think its a faulty ECM ? I have had a look inside D5 and T5 ECMs and looks to me with the right kit repairing the injector firing circuits may be possible and its probably these sections most likely to fail but searching the internet there is very little information on Bosch ECMs, lots of generalised stuff but very little specific info like a circuit diagram of the pcb, anyone got any links ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 21:50   #5
Lugy

Hmmm, an ECU swap doesn't sound appealing if things won't work afterwards!

The mechanic that's been dealing with it tells me that he was told by the repairer that there's 3 wires that control the injectors, 2 wires that control two cylinders and 1 wire that controls the last cylinder, and that this last "wire" is the one that's faulty. I'd assumed that by wires it meant some overly complicated silicon witchcraft and that's what ruled out a repair! This information is now 3rd hand though so some may have gone AWOL.

It's a bit of a shame as it's actually quite a nice car and seems very clean!
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 23:49   #6
Bernard333
Premier Member

I am not sure about the 3 2 1 wire configuration , if you take a look at the wiring diagram ECM to injectors and ECM to coil packs it shows 1 wire to each injector/coil pack and for the coil packs 3 earthed at a common point and 2 at another. Inside the ECM there are two power semiconductors, a type of MOSFET known as a TOPFET these two components are the only ones on the pcb which are capable of high current switching so its probable one controls the injectors and the other the coil packs but I have no idea how one device could control 5 injectors or another 5 coil packs without seeing the pcb circuit diagram , how they switch between 1 to 5 I have no idea and there are no clues on the pcb so I could be wrong. The D5 ECM is more obvious as there is one MOSFET per injector. If one device is controlling 5 injectors the problem may be nothing to do with the power section of the pcb, it maybe a software issue or perhaps not even a problem with the ECM , have the coil packs and injectors been tested and a compression test done on each cylinder ?
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 12:58   #7
Lugy

This all sounds very complicated, electronics are up there with witchcraft and quantum physics to me! The car had a lot of time spent trying to diagnose the problem so I'd assume (you know what they say about assuming!) the basics were carried out!
The car is currently up for scrap value so might be worth a shot, even it it ends up being broken for spares!

Cheers,

Lugy
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 13:27   #8
reggit
Premier Member

Go look at it and take a can of 'easystart' with you. With the engine running, give it a blast up the air intake, preferably after the MAF sensor - if the 5th cylinder picks up, you are looking at an injector fault (as this puts the fuel in the air stream). If it doesn't fire, I'd guess it's lost compression on that cylinder.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 13:28   #9
Bernard333
Premier Member

The Volvo/Bosch petrol ECM is witchcraft to me too at the moment Lugy , I have worked with power electronics for over 40 years and cannot figure this lot out , the diesel ECM by comparison is relatively easy to see whats happening . I am hoping someone on the forum who works with ECMs can explain how one power semiconductor can switch the supply to five coil packs and the second one control five injectors, there is no obvious way its done or have I got it completely wrong ?
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 15:56   #10
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Don't think you can swap ECU's but you maybe able to clone your existing one into a secondhand one.

This trader may be able to help

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...light=throttle
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote