Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of moving into the realm of newer cars

Views : 1077

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2014, 20:20   #1
Fridazadilak
Low & Lazy

Default Thinking of moving into the realm of newer cars

Hi guys, I've been around the 240 section for a couple of years or so, I've got a 240 turbo that I'm thinking of turning into a weekend toy and buying a V70 D5 for the daily commute.

My question is...I want a black, manual D5 with decent interior, non of this cow skin stuff! Did they make V70s with cloth interiors?! All the ones I'm finding have leather interiors.

Dan
Fridazadilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 20:39   #2
pacman67
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridazadilak View Post
Hi guys, I've been around the 240 section for a couple of years or so, I've got a 240 turbo that I'm thinking of turning into a weekend toy and buying a V70 D5 for the daily commute.

My question is...I want a black, manual D5 with decent interior, non of this cow skin stuff! Did they make V70s with cloth interiors?! All the ones I'm finding have leather interiors.

Dan
Ex cops are all cloth. I'm sure I spotted a d5 v70 with a cloth interior on ebay this week.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacman67 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 21:26   #3
savabill
Master Member

Depends on what spec you get. SE models you get leather, S are cloth, leather is optional. I think.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 21:41   #4
XC70Mark
"Custom User Title"

Serious question now; why the dislike of leather?

Can't imagine a car of P2 age and mileage with a cloth interior being in much of a good state by now
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 05:32   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, Cloth seating surfaces can be cleaned as well as replaced. Leather (cold in Winter hot in Summer) ages progressively. It can be cleaned and treated but it commonly feels slippery, soapy or gooey after treatment.

I believe automotive cloth is the superior material.
Leather was popularized as alloy wheels were. It was option inflation.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 09:54   #6
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have never seen a P2 V70 in S format with base cloth seats apart from police spec , the S spec mainly have cloth with leather sections . There was a P2 V70 with a lower spec level than the S with cloth seats, that was the Torslanda which Volvo have stuck on a number of models over the years, there are very few about and they were missing a lot of functions, I wonder why Volvo even bothered selling them. My 2003 V70 SE has really horrible leather seats, completely worn out and even eaten by mice at one stage, not impressed with the leather quality at all, I expected them to wear better than they have.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 10:49   #7
BarryCambs

I'd have to say, my Golf with cloth seats which is the same age and mileage as the V70 has worn a lot better and looks a lot smarter.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 11:50   #8
JMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryCambs View Post
I'd have to say, my Golf with cloth seats which is the same age and mileage as the V70 has worn a lot better and looks a lot smarter.
I think there is no chance for comparison between the quality of Volvo and VW. The Germans can't even get closer to the quality of the materials used in any Volvo!

I think the best of both worlds is to have seats with part leather-part fabric. They not only look great, but can keep the good, fresh look for a very long time. My V50 2.0D SE was like this and I sold it with 250k on the clock, but the seats, the steering wheel and the gear knob were like new!

Now on the XC70 the leather is great, but if you have leather seats and you want them in top notch condition for long, the answer simply is a good care and regular treatment. The car is 2008 and my seats still look like brand new!
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 08:35   #9
mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
I think there is no chance for comparison between the quality of Volvo and VW. The Germans can't even get closer to the quality of the materials used in any Volvo!
Hmm, I'd disagree with that; we had an E46 BMW coupe and the interior of that was vastly better in terms of quality, fit and design (particularly as you couldn't break the cupholder by leaning on it ) than our S60 and V50 and I would also say it was better than the 1 series as well having sat in that.

Volvo leather does seem to be quite poor quality compared to most of the other cars I've had, this includes the BMW and various Saabs
mpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2014, 09:23   #10
BarryCambs

I was commenting on the quality of modern cloth seats rather than comparing quality of different makes. That said, at 150k, the golf still feels like driving a new car and apart from service items has had a lambda sensor, a coil pack and electric window repair. The list for the volvo is a teeny weeny bit longer.

However, I don't think reliability comparisons are that useful, as I know plenty of golfs that have been nightmarish and volvos that have happily done 300k with nothing more than a few oil changes.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote