Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue

Views : 35326

Replies : 268

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:26   #11
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

christ stu, a new fuel system....bad hot starting..maf...but should throw a light , fuel pump not pumping enough....worked on old car ok.....
for feks sake boys someone else must have an opinion....help the man out....
cheers
jod
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:23   #12
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

Please HELP. ABOUT TO CHUCK CAR ALTHOUGH I REALLY DONT WANT TO!

To sum things up. This fault has only occured since i have had the engine replaced so i think that it is to do with the engine its self and nothing else.

She seems to start fine when cold or been left over night.

When the engine is warn it takes excessive cranking to start. 5 min or so. 3- 4 turns of the key.

The following has been replaced and checked.

Oil change
Oil Filter change
Spark Plugs Changed
Timing Belt Changed
Position Sensor Changed
Leads Changed
Distributor Changed
Rotor Arm Changed
Coil Changed
Fuel Relay Changed
Fuel Filter Changed
Fuel Regulator Changed
Injectors Changed
Fuel Rail Changed

I dont know if there is some sort of cold start device on these 850 T5 that could be telling the car that it is cold when it is hot and injecting to much fuel into the engine.
It does not make a difference as to where you have the accelerator when you are trying to start her when warm. PLEASE HELP

ANYBODY.

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 19:04   #13
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Engine temperature sensor?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 19:08   #14
bigandquick
Premier Member

Pipped to the post! Yes, try the ECT sensor. Cost you around £20 and a pint of coolant.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 20:11   #15
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issues

Thanks guys. Where exactly is the engine teperature sensor. Is it around about the thermostat. I am about to go and check the pressure in the fuel rail. I know that there is petrol getting to it, but might not be enough and takes the extra cranking to get up to pressure. Does anybody know what the pressure at the fuel rail should be?

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 21:01   #16
bigandquick
Premier Member

You'll need a torx bit to remove the two bolts on top of the themostat housing. To minimise coolant loss I undo the thermostat to radiator hose only.
To ease access to the bolts I release the bracket securing the fuel pipes and just move them over slightly. The ECT sensor sits under the thermostat and simply screws in.
There has been recent discussion regarding the manufacturers of these and a compatability/reliability issue. For that reason I'd recommend biting the bullet and for a couple of quid more getting an original one from a dealer.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 22:23   #17
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Problems

Thanks for that bigandquick.
I think i am getting closer to the problem though. I am getting about 3bar on the fuel rail, so i know that i have no fuel issues up to that point. The car always starts about the 3rd go. When it doesent start at the begining, i took one of the plugs out, disables the fuel pump, not to flood the chambers, and held the plug onto the side of the cylinder head. Surprise Surprise, no spark. This is after i changed the distributor, rotor and coil. I got my trusty volt meter out.
The engine has a very good earth.
The battery is healthy.
I am getting a good possitive signal to the + cable of the coil
and getting a good earth on the - side of the coil

So therefor i think that the issue lies between the coil and the plugs.

What i cant quite under stand is although it wasent showing a spark, that it does eventually start after long craning. What would cause the delay from no spark to a spark?

Any ideas people.

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 22:44   #18
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

If you are not getting a pulsed signal to the coil amplifier then you will have no spark.
The usual reason is a failing camshaft positon sensor.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 15:52   #19
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

Hi guys. Just a update.

I think that i am getting colser to the problem.

Now that i have replaced everything in the fuel line, and all electrical equipment in the engine and the problem still excists. I think that the problem lies with the ignition switch at the end of the ignition barrell, as when the engine is turning over but not starting due to there being no spark, i either wiggle the key in the ignition barrell or give the ignition switch a know, and each time it seems to then suddenely start. I have also been talking to volvo, and it looks like the ignition switch and ignition in the engine are linked. So i have a spare ignition switch on stand by and am going to give this a go now.

Regards
Stuart

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 19:49   #20
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Starting Issue

I have now replaced the ignition switch thinking that was causing the problem, but unfortunatley not. The problem still exsists. I know that the RPM sensor checks the flywheel or the flywheel carrier plate. On my 850 96 T5 will the RPM sensor read holes that are on the carrier plate or the castleations that are on the flywheel. Do you think that this could cuase any problems, i.e. the RPM sensor not picking up the signals from teh flywheel / carier plate prrperally.