Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine oil dripping from main seal or core plug

Views : 1540

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2016, 15:36   #1
dstc

Default D5 engine oil dripping from main seal or core plug

Massive pool of engine oil under our 53 reg D5 geartronic XC90 after the school run this am. I've cleaned everything, fired it up and watched a steady drip of oil weeping from where the gearbox is mounted to the engine. It's either the crankshaft main seal or the core plugs.

I'm convinced the garage that did the last service over filled it with oil. I had to suck quite a bit out with a Pela pump when we got her back. Ordinarily I service our cars myself, but I was busy with work. I wish I'd found the time to do it properly. Just feeling grumpy & wanted to share with my Volvo Brethren.
dstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 16:59   #2
spudd
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstc View Post
Massive pool of engine oil under our 53 reg D5 geartronic XC90 after the school run this am. I've cleaned everything, fired it up and watched a steady drip of oil weeping from where the gearbox is mounted to the engine. It's either the crankshaft main seal or the core plugs.

I'm convinced the garage that did the last service over filled it with oil. I had to suck quite a bit out with a Pela pump when we got her back. Ordinarily I service our cars myself, but I was busy with work. I wish I'd found the time to do it properly. Just feeling grumpy & wanted to share with my Volvo Brethren.
Nightmare. not a bad job to diy as long as you have the right tools.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 22:40   #3
dstc

Default Can you do it on the drive

Thanks for posting spudd. I can get most things off with my trusty Halfords tool kit, bit of coat hanger wire and impact. But how would you go about dropping the entire subframe with engine, gearbox and suspension without a hoist. Surely it is impossible to DIY on the drive?
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 00:32   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Surely it is impossible to DIY on the drive?
Several have done it not including myself.
From what I can gather, it's straightforward (if a little advanced) diy but you just have to plan, be methodical, use the right tools, allow 2 days minimum and take your time to do it right first time because it's not something you want to repeat in a hurry.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 07:31   #5
spudd
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting spudd. I can get most things off with my trusty Halfords tool kit, bit of coat hanger wire and impact. But how would you go about dropping the entire subframe with engine, gearbox and suspension without a hoist. Surely it is impossible to DIY on the drive?
I have to be honest I have never done an xc90. I have done a v70 d5. I am also led to believe the xc90 engine will come out the top. the core plug is an easy change. the crank seal not. I tried 3 times to do ours the first 2 times using a plastic tube over the seal and pushing it in. the third and final time I bought the Volvo tool for the job, perfect.
I already had one of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-2-Ton-...EAAOSw8w1YBI~o

Last edited by spudd; Dec 16th, 2016 at 07:33.
spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 22:11   #6
diro

The are few ways. Some prefer to lift up whole engine and take it out through the top, some leave engine in place using engine support beam

The way i done (tools not exactly the same as suggested here)

engine support beam. make sure to get the lengthy one. Standard 1500mm may not be enough
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Eng...AAAOxy63FStEQT

gearbox lifter
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Draper...gAAOSwCGVX8npI

axle stands
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-3-TON-...IAAOSwEzxYSlgd

halfords or equivalent tool set + 1 cheappo set just in case
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halfords-A...IAAOSw44BYUuZP

long arm ratchet or torque wrench
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-1-2...EAAOSwiDFYPzOq

spline socket set
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-TOO...sAAOSwA4dWI7I-

few plastic pans to drain fluids. I drained oil and coolant, removed oil cooler to make a room for an easy bevel gear removal.

Also a lot of little boxes for bolts for every each part which has to be removed. Part goes to the side out of your way along with the bolts for it. And when you later put everything together - all bolts will be in place.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 13:19   #7
dstc

Default Wish I'd thought of that

Thanks Chaps! I wish I'd thought of these methods for engine removal. I've taken my Vag 2.5 v6 tdi out a few times now. Literally swing the front of the car out to the side like a gate, a few connectors & hoses & engine mounts and unbolting the prop shaft you can lift the engine & gearbox out in 1 piece.

I guess once the driveshafts are out, exhaust manifold unbolted it's fairly easy to disconnect cables etc. With all that out of the way I'd change the steering rack for a brand new one.

I reckon I could have done that on the driveway. I found a local garage who was willing to take it on. Book time is 8hrs. When I left her with them there was a steady stream of engine oil trickling on to their nice workshop floor.

Is there anything else you'd do since the garage were in that area? Thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 22:47   #8
dstc

Default Gave up & let the garage do it

The garage did it in the end. It's far too cold. Too many Christmas parties to ferry the kids to. Nightmare. The main seal was in pretty good shape. It was the core plug. It was rubbing against the flywheel for some time. Had them change the main seal along with the seals in the angle gear.

They supported the engine from the top and dropped the subframe with the gearbox and bevel gear. One of the subframe bolts had seized so they drilled it out and fitted a long non - stretch bolt with locking nuts. Bit of a bodge.

They changed the engine breather & changed the oil. Now I have MAF 1400 and 1300 codes. I'm hoping it's just a nicked vacuum hose or a crushed cable somewhere. Something obvious instead of the intermittent problems other people have had for years and changed almost every sensor, hose or cable.

Last edited by dstc; Dec 29th, 2016 at 22:58.