Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where does this blue connector goes to?

Views : 3151

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2016, 14:55   #1
aslan
From far away

Default Where does this blue connector goes to?

I noticed this unused connector under my steering. It's not the CEM's connector as the CEM has all its connectors accounted for.

Tracing this connector, it joins into the same harness that connects to the accelerator pedal sensor. The accl pedal sensor is seen in the pic - at 2 o'clock.

I have a few error messages on the XC and not sure if this is related. It's difficult to see down there but I can't see any obvious point where it's supposed to go to.

Thanks
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2016, 15:18   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I have a few error messages on the XC and not sure if this is related.
What are the errors?

What is the recent history leading up to the event where the connector mysteriously appeared hanging down from the dash?
Was any work done? What? Where?

How many pins on the connector?
How man rows? pins per row?
This helps identify it with the wiring diagram.

What model year XC90? To look things up on the wiring diagram we need to know what MY.

Without the information above I can only rely on guesswork, and my guess is it is the connector for the optional CAN-bus controlled coffee machine that integrates with the dashboard.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 00:46   #3
aslan
From far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
What are the errors?

What is the recent history leading up to the event where the connector mysteriously appeared hanging down from the dash?
Was any work done? What? Where?

How many pins on the connector?
How man rows? pins per row?
This helps identify it with the wiring diagram.

What model year XC90? To look things up on the wiring diagram we need to know what MY.

Without the information above I can only rely on guesswork, and my guess is it is the connector for the optional CAN-bus controlled coffee machine that integrates with the dashboard.
Hi. Thanks very much for the reply. My model is a 2009, same year as yours but yours is a R. We didn't get any R over here.

Sorry for not giving any intro. It's a bit longish. I had an issue with my wiper. CEM was faulty and I removed it to send it over to Xemodex. I reinstalled the repaired CEM. Wiper issue is now resolved. I feel like kicking myself for not noticing this connector when removing the CEM. But I removed it at night as I was rushing to have it couriered over to Canada the next morning.

Anyway, I've verified that all connectors to the CEM are in place. Two above. One at the back - similar blue but longer. And two at the front.

I'm having a few error messages I'm trying to sort out

'gear selector service required' TCM 0094
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251419

'SRS service' no communication with front sensors
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96421

'brake service required' CEM-1A5F communication with BCM control module signal missing
This I think is due to a dead ABS module and pump as I've had the brake service message intermittently for a few months before the CEM repair. And the day before removing the CEM the 'brake failure' message was permanently on for a whole day. I have power from CEM going to the BCM.

And an alarm system service which is due to the siren. This is of low priority as I had a similar issue with my old S80. Probably a dead siren battery.

Here's a pic of the connector. I showed this to my usual shop. They said it may be a connector to the on board Nav that pops up out of the dash. (I don't have it)

B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 07:46   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Facts:

36p grey connector
Located under steering wheel
Wire colours noted:
Green with orange stripe
Green
Green with white stripe
Grey

Reading the Connectors section of the Wiring diagram, we find the following 36p connectors:

54/3.1 36-pin gray From Passenger compartment harness to Engine compartment harness

This is the only 36p connector in the entire vehicle

The connector carries signals to and from the engine, front airbag sensors, brake control module, body stability module, gear selector module, transmission control module and more.
There must be a connecting point on the firewall

With this connector unplugged I expect you would have a multitude of errors

The connector can be verified if you remove the shell, identify the pin numbering, and note the wire colours of the first row of pins.
This will allow for 100% positive identification.

Example for pins 1-5 on connector 54/3.1:
Pin 1 Orange to 7/179 front crash sensor
Pin 2 Orange/Black to 7/179 front crash sensor
Pin 3 Orange to 7/178 front crash sensor
Pin 4 Green/Orange to 7/178 front crash sensor
Pin 5 Green/White to 4/28 Transmission control module

etc
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 08:03   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The nav display 16/46 Multimedia display has a blue 5p connector for power and ground, and a 10p brown connector for video and data signals
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 14:25   #6
aslan
From far away

SwissXC90, heaps of thanks!!

You've nailed it spot on. After spending many minutes under the dash looking finally found where it's supposed to go to. It was pretty obvious but the Xemodex youtube vid I used as reference lacked that connector. (actually it's there in the vid but not connected)

https://youtu.be/U8UozG9qLvM

When I removed the CEM this was what it looked it.

The blue connector to that gray side connector wasn't there. Probably knocked loose as I was manipulating the CEM out.

This is with the new CEM. The mating connector above. Staring at my face ...

Plugged it in tonight

I haven't had the time yet to connect VIDA but so far these messages have disappeared

Brake system service
Alarm system service
Gear selector service

What's still present are the SRS message and a new Engine Malfunction.
B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 14:30   #7
aslan
From far away

Just one last piece of mystery. I discovered another connector. It's on the same harness with the 36-pin. The terminals looks like for a relay but I may be wrong.

The wires to it are short and nothing close by I could see matches it. Now where does this goes to?
B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 08:01   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
I haven't had the time yet to connect VIDA but so far these messages have disappeared

Brake system service
Alarm system service
Gear selector service

What's still present are the SRS message and a new Engine Malfunction.
It is a credit to Volvo's engineering that you still managed to run the vehicle with the engine loom connector disconnected!

The SRS message does not automatically clear, you need to clear it in VIDA

Your next steps are to clear all errors in VIDA and see what returns when you run the engine and drive around the block.
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 08:05   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Just one last piece of mystery. I discovered another connector. It's on the same harness with the 36-pin. The terminals looks like for a relay but I may be wrong.
The wires to it are short and nothing close by I could see matches it. Now where does this goes to?
Looks like a relay socket for some option.

Please identify the wire colors or take a photo showing the wire colours, then I can trace the wires on the wiring diagram and tell you what it is.

It is possible it is taped back to the loom because it is unused. (In which case you don't need to worry about the connector)
You can cut the tape to give you more room to move the connector for a good photo, and then i can identify it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2016, 05:11   #10
aslan
From far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Looks like a relay socket for some option.

Please identify the wire colors or take a photo showing the wire colours, then I can trace the wires on the wiring diagram and tell you what it is.

Thanks
B230E 740 1989 - sold