Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driving on broken shocks

Views : 636

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 13:14   #1
Bushmonkey
VOC Member

Default Driving on broken shocks

Hi all. I have an issue. I'm currently about 60 miles from home. The rear driver side shock has broken and is now rattling like mad. I've just checked and it's moving freely left and right. Am I ok to drive it home if I drive carefully?? Just trying to avoid massive charge from AA to get us home

Cheers
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 13:17   #2
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

I would drive it. Stick to 30mph (maybe 50 on carriageway?) and avoid potholes or bumps - it'll be a long journey but like you say, given the choice between that and the AA's absurd charges I know what I'd do...

I'm sure someone will call me out as a moron and say don't drive it so best wait

If in doubt, drive a couple of miles and see how you go.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 13:20   #3
Bushmonkey
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPLoD View Post
I would drive it. Stick to 30mph (maybe 50 on carriageway?) and avoid potholes or bumps - it'll be a long journey but like you say, given the choice between that and the AA's absurd charges I know what I'd do...

I'm sure someone will call me out as a moron and say don't drive it so best wait

If in doubt, drive a couple of miles and see how you go.
I was thinking the same. I mean it's still on the springs anyway. It would just be a noisy and bouncy ride eh???
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 14:58   #4
Defender 90

I've snapped shocks offloading in my landrover a few times and driven it back. Just go carefully and keep the speed down especially when cornering
Defender 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Defender 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 15:16   #5
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
I was thinking the same. I mean it's still on the springs anyway. It would just be a noisy and bouncy ride eh???
So, did you make it home?
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 15:27   #6
Bushmonkey
VOC Member

I'm still out atm. At a relatives house. Had a second look though, I think the damper is ok, I think it's the mount that's gone. Really loud rattle when driving. I've pulled up the interior and had a look. The top is defiantly moving freely but the 2 bolts that hold it either side the mount are still in tight. So I'm Guessing the bolts have snapped or the mounting has broke
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 08:27   #7
Bushmonkey
VOC Member

Quick update

Turns out the rear driver side shock and mount was both corroded and had basicly cracked

Thing is, just over a month ago I had the car at Stockport Volvo for a health check and a service. He told me everything was ok. He should of spotted this right??? No way things go rotten this fast
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 16:20   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
Quick update

Turns out the rear driver side shock and mount was both corroded and had basicly cracked

Thing is, just over a month ago I had the car at Stockport Volvo for a health check and a service. He told me everything was ok. He should of spotted this right??? No way things go rotten this fast
One would hope so but it's not unknown for folk to look with their eyes shut. What age car that it's corroded such that it's snapped? I find a lot of dealers don't want the hassel of working on older cars, there's not the margin in them to take their time and ease things off and when it's broken they want you to replace.
Put mine in for a brake fluid change, they snapped both rear bleed nipples then wanted me to buy new calipers at £105 each. I now change my own brake fluid and don't snap bleed nipples nor need new calipers, the £46 I spent on the vacuume bottle and hour it takes me plus the £15 for a gallon of fluid ( I do both cars while I'm at it ) are a lot cheaper than £210 just for bits when they break them.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: