Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

c70 roof assembly replacement ???

Views : 1499

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2019, 20:27   #1
jaimster

Default c70 roof assembly replacement ???

hey guys I'm a newbie to Volvo world .

as at maybe I guess I like a challenge !
bought my son a 2003 c70 rear window cop completely fell out of as soon as we open the top , I knew it was unglued some .
anyways after long debate, we decided to go with a whole roof assembly replacement from a junk yard per advise from professional shop instead of replacing just top much more labor and cost .
window regluing out of question . shops stated couldn't be done !.

has anybody ever tried replacing whole roof assembly ?

any input greatly appreciated .
jaimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 06:53   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi

I haven't replaced the whole roof assembly, but I also have a rear window which has fallen out. I must do something about it. There is thread somewhere here about fixing it back in. I think it was easy. If I find it I will post a link.

When you say "whole roof", do you mean the fabric, or the frame and mechanism as well?

I think regluing just the rear window will be much much easier than replacing the whole roof (or fabric). There are many sensors and motors and I think the assembly is already complex, often requiring a dealer to set it up and adjust it.

Replacing the fabric is also quite a lot of work. I think I have seen a YouTube video of someone fitting new fabric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InvT8GHlrQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rhKgo_M_V0

Are you going to do the work yourself?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Feb 1st, 2019 at 07:01.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 14:12   #3
jaimster

Question

Steve,

we took the car to a professional convertible top /trim shop , he said the window could not be glue back . material has shrank too much he wasn't going to be able to glue back top of window , he suggested getting a whole roof assembly swapping them out ! he asked me if I m mechanically incline
I said : yea I have done plenty of mechanical work - anyway that's what he recommended.
and yes we are planning to do it our self with my son . however I haven't seem it pulled out at the junk yard , I m curious to check the car out where its being pulled from .

keep you posted . hopefully they didn't damage it when they pulled it
the guy at the trim shop told me its a straight shot just swapping them out
no calibrating involved .
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 14:16   #4
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Jaimster,

Are you going to change just the fabric, or the whole mechanism (arms, sensors, motors etc)?

If whole mechanism, I really believe it is not simple and that you will have to calibrate etc

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 14:28   #5
jaimster

yes Steve , the whole roof assembly mechanism
maybe I had no idea what I was getting my self into !!!

what if the junk yard removed it in the close position which I think that's what they are going to do battery gone .
couldn't I just set it on top not open it till later on figure out hoe to calibrate it or take to dealer !
I must be out my mind to take on this:shocked;

have you tried regluing your window ? is there enough material to pull it towards the window?
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 14:33   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

First point: the window cannot be re-attached to the roof fabric once it has come adrift.

Second: the fabric roof can be renewed without the roof having to be recalibrated - Happydiver on here had a good thread going sometime ago when he did his.

Third: if replacing the whole mechanism the roof will need to be recalibrated. A Volvo agent or independent that can do this needs to be sorted before changing the roof.

The recalibration process starts with the roof fully open and stowed in the storage area. The roof is then closed and adjusted to the windscreen and then the rear hoop is calibrated to the rear body. Sounds simple but without the correct software impossible to do.

Last edited by ITSv40; Feb 1st, 2019 at 15:08.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 15:07   #7
jaimster

I get it. according to the VIDA it needs to recalibrated , however just got off the phone with professional shop out here , he stated he if u set the top in the
position the old one was removed - these are his words " it shouldn't have to be calibrated people are always saying to calibrated I haven't have to do that " he told me he is done a Mercedes he didn't have to do it
he told me if u have any issues bring it over ill help you with it .

I know I m relying on this guy's advise . He did sound pretty convincing though
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 15:19   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

I can see the logic in what he is saying. The roof will have to be partially open in order to get to all the bolts and wiring etc, but the 'new' roof will be removed before you take the original one off the car so you will be able to adjust the original roof to the 'new' one before disconnecting anything.

The roof control box is in the boot behind the trim panel - righthand side, I think. The wiring needs to be unplugged from the control box and then the whole roof loom removed with the roof.

It will be an interesting project - I hope it goes well for you and do keep us updated on progress.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 15:27   #9
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Jaimster,

I haven't studied my rear window yet. I was hoping I could just reattach it, but maybe it wont be that simple.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 15:59   #10
jaimster

appreciate all you input guys .

ITSv40 it is going to be interesting project for sure , I m gonna take some photos hopefully I can post them here also ill be heading over to the junk
yard in an hour I want take some pictures of what they removed to get it loose

should I disconnect the battery before unplugging anything?

Last edited by jaimster; Feb 1st, 2019 at 16:01.