Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Its arrived... few problems..

Views : 1336

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2019, 10:15   #1
Nine40

Default Its arrived... few problems..

Well the 940 eventually arrived today and is fairly good shape, bonus is its got the 7 seat conversion and snow trays!!.. it has few problems that i could do with some help on i have some photos and a video but cant upload them.

1- both front indicator lenses need replacing
2- tailgate closes but doesnt catch or lock
3- power steering is stiff and when turn wheel it scrreches and all lights on dash light up and engine will cut out if you dont give slight power but it ticks over fine
4- lambda light is on
5- looks like an exhaust pipe is where meets turbo is blowing and they used paste to seal it?

Any advice would be greatfully accepted
Thanks
Nine40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:15   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine40 View Post
Well the 940 eventually arrived today and is fairly good shape, bonus is its got the 7 seat conversion and snow trays!!.. it has few problems that i could do with some help on i have some photos and a video but cant upload them.

1- both front indicator lenses need replacing
2- tailgate closes but doesnt catch or lock
3- power steering is stiff and when turn wheel it scrreches and all lights on dash light up and engine will cut out if you dont give slight power but it ticks over fine
4- lambda light is on
5- looks like an exhaust pipe is where meets turbo is blowing and they used paste to seal it?

Any advice would be greatfully accepted
Thanks
1- check the part number on them before ordering replacements, there are several variations.

2- Check the striker plate, also that the latch is releasing properly. If it doesn't, it won't be open for the striker.

3- Check the PAS fluid, top up with ATF and move the steering from lock to lock several times then recheck the level.

4- No, the engine management light is on. Fair chance it's because of the hole in the exhaust and/or blocked PCV system. Pull fuse #1 for a minute to reset the fault code memory and re-try

5- they sent the wrong photo then! Without seeing it, it's difficult to advise.

Try postimages.org - it's free to set up an account to use it, upload your photos there and click the share button. At the end of each of several lines of code, there is a button to click - use the one that says "Hotlink for forums". When you click it, it will flash up "Copied" on the scrfeen.
Change tabs back to the post you are doing and right click where you want the photo to appear, click paste then hit return a couple of times to put a space between the photo and next line of text.

For videos, upload to YouTube and follow the instructions about editing, making it live etc. Then click the share button and then the copy button for the link it gives. Again, right click in your post and hit Paste where you want the video link to be.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:36   #3
Nine40

Last edited by Nine40; Feb 18th, 2019 at 11:39.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:42   #4
Nine40

This pipe to the left of image

I need the black part to refit filler cap

The Following User Says Thank You to Nine40 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:00   #5
Nine40

https://youtu.be/jDYkdWuzTSQ
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:13   #6
Nine40

Forgot to say that passenger front window ( lec ) doesnt work.. cant hear the motor from either switch.. just silent.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:23   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Looks like you need a new exhaust manifold

I also had the screeching noise from power steering belt. My fluid level was fine but the belt was loose and knackered so I replaced that and alternator belt
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:40   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
This pipe to the left of image

I need the black part to refit filler cap

Quote:
Quote:
Forgot to say that passenger front window ( lec ) doesnt work.. cant hear the motor from either switch.. just silent.
First, looks like you need a new downpipe and cat. They've slapped exhaust putty on a break upstream of the cat and that has almost certainly found its way into the cat and partially blocked it.

Have a chat with Luke for the fuel flap and its mounting bracket/hinge. If memory serves, you can pull the trim off inside and gain access to the two nuts that secure it.

The video is a bit short but it sounds like something is running dry somewhere - are you sure there's enough fluid in the PAS? Also the belt is loose causing the squeal under load.

Is it automatic? Would pay to check the ATF level as well - hot engine and box, idling, go from P to 1 and back again, holding it in each position for 2-3 seconds then get out, remove the dipstick, wipe the end clean and reinseert it, remove it quickly to check the level. Top up as needed with Dexron II-D or my personal favourite, Carlube ATF-U - same ATF can be used in the PAS and again, the ATF-U is my favourite for this too.

When you press the down button for the passenger window, do the lights dim at all? If so, get an assistant to repeatedly open and slam the passenger door while holding the button down. Once down, spray the rubber guide channels with silicone lube and operate the window up and down several times.
If not, try spraying contact cleaner into both the passenger door and drivers door passenger window switches then operating them both vigourously up/down with the ignition off. Then switch the ignition on and try the window. If it works, once down lube the guide rubbers with silicone - repeat for all other windows, it sounds as if it's suffering lack of use on the windows.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:43   #9
Nine40

The belt pulley seems to be stopping and starting.. power steering takes about 5 mins before working

https://youtu.be/X_46quByAyk

Tried the door trick but still no window.. however we can hear the motor working now !!

Last edited by Nine40; Feb 18th, 2019 at 12:47.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 12:53   #10
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Indicator/sidelamp assemblies are interchangeable as regards orange/clear lenses but the indicator lamp-holders are different IIRC (different pin locations) so don't throw away the original ones!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote