Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SIPS decal on rear window

Views : 8772

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 14:12   #1
Hughvo

Default SIPS decal on rear window

Does anyone know where I could obtain a "SIPS Side Impact Protection System" decal for my rear window? The previous owner removed it and I was wanting to replace it. Call me weird, but I like them, hence my request.

I contacted Volvo and they do not have any left. It is also not a spare part in VADIS for any year 850 nor 940/960 sold at the same time. It seems they were a special one-off decal as part of a SIPS advertising campaign.

Hughvo
Hughvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 14:46   #2
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

if you get/take a picture of the sticker i would of thought any graphics shop would be able to make you one, thats what i did for my TWR stickers
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 16:35   #3
castlet5
t5

as said above...most graphics places on the web or on ebay advertise the fact they can make anything up to order...i took mine off last week and it came off in 1 go with a hair dryer...you could have had that with pleasure but its long binned im afraid.

other than that...if you REALLY REALLY want one, buy a rear window from ebay or a scrappie with it on...but hell youd really have to have an unhealthy kink for them if you did that ..wouldnt you??.
castlet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 20:31   #4
John_C
Allons-y!

If you have trouble taking/finding a pic PM me I have the sticker in mine and I'll happily send you a shot of it.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 23:01   #5
Lmason
L Mason

Default sticker

if they are rare, who knows, they might be worth something in another 20 years!!!
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 01:58   #6
Hughvo

Thank you all for your replies.

I had considered getting a rear window from a wrecked car just for the sticker (bordering on unhealthy kink I'm afraid). I have seen a few decals where the adhesive has turned brown, which I guess is a thermal reaction to the rear window demister.

If anyone is think of removing theirs in the not to distant future, I would very gladly receive it even if it has been damaged by the demister as this would make a great template for a grahic shop to use.

John thank you for your very generous offer. If you would be so kind as to take photo or two I would very much like to get them. If you could also measure the overall length and height of the decal it will give the grahic designer an idea of the correct scale.

Who knows, but the original graphic file of the sticker may still reside as a file on a workstation in Sweden.

I shall let you know how I get on.

Regards

Hughvo

Last edited by Hughvo; Jun 11th, 2007 at 02:54.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 23:21   #7
Bonzo2002

I'm looking to get hold of SIPS sticker also. Maybe someone should go into business?
Bonzo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:27   #8
Bonzo2002

Any chance someone could post a large image of it with some dimensions?
Bonzo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:11   #9
castlet5
t5

or you could get ones that look the same but with different captions underneath the SIPS letters like:

some irate people swear
swedish intelect protects sanity
swedish interrogation police service
sometimes i p*ss sideways

make up youre own for the vinyl cutters to personalise youre car
castlet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:27   #10
Hughvo

I have just taken some dimensions from one today, and will draw this up and post it when completed. I have also take some largish images of the whole decal plus the individual words. I have posted a small image of the whole decal as the more detailed ones I took are too large to post.

I have also written an email to Volvo in Sweden requesting the name of the company they would have subcontracted to make the original decals - although I doubt bery much if I will hear anything back from them.

Looking at VADIS there is a SIPS decal for my 97 850 (P/N 3536465) and whilst it is not for the rear window, it does have the same font as the rear window decal. I think we can safely assume that Volvo chose a common font for its SIPS related text. If it is a font that is in the public domain (not created as a proprietary font just for Volvo and it SIPS marketing) then a decal should be able to be recreated. It looks to me as if the white lettering is the same as my exterior white (Volvo 189, Polar White), but a PMS match should be quite easy to determine.

Re-reading the above I am now quite sure I have gone completey mad .

Regards

Hughvo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1802.JPG (157.9 KB, 85 views)