Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SIPS decal on rear window

Views : 8722

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:49   #11
PeakUnder
VOC Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughvo View Post
I have just taken some dimensions from one today, and will draw this up and post it when completed. I have also take some largish images of the whole decal plus the individual words. I have posted a small image of the whole decal as the more detailed ones I took are too large to post.

I have also written an email to Volvo in Sweden requesting the name of the company they would have subcontracted to make the original decals - although I doubt bery much if I will hear anything back from them.

Looking at VADIS there is a SIPS decal for my 97 850 (P/N 3536465) and whilst it is not for the rear window, it does have the same font as the rear window decal. I think we can safely assume that Volvo chose a common font for its SIPS related text. If it is a font that is in the public domain (not created as a proprietary font just for Volvo and it SIPS marketing) then a decal should be able to be recreated. It looks to me as if the white lettering is the same as my exterior white (Volvo 189, Polar White), but a PMS match should be quite easy to determine.

Re-reading the above I am now quite sure I have gone completey mad .

Regards

Hughvo
SILLY IDIOT PLEADS SANITY
Regards,
Jeff.

THE ONLY WAY TO GO FWD IS RWD
PeakUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:49   #12
locky2306

Excellent work so far, as I too, am interested in replacing the missing SIPS decal on my 850, and would be great to find out the exact dimensions etc, to get them replicated.

I still can't work out why people would remove them in the first place?, dealer stickers I can understand, as most are tacky and cheap looking.

*another one joins the nut house lol*
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 12:27   #13
Hughvo

Dear Fellow SIPS decal tragics

I am about half way through recreating the decal using the digital images I took and an actual decal that is stuck on a window of a dead 850 at my local wrecker. I am doing it in AutoCad 2000 - so if anyone has this application, I will be happy to send them the file when I have finished.

I have searched through a couple of on-line font shops for the fonts used (the large SIPS and the Side Impact Protection System text are not the same font), but with out any luck, so I am reverse engineering the decal with my digital verniers and patience.

I am attempting to get all dimensions correct to within 1mm at the very least, but am trying to get them to with 0.5mm. I am hoping to get to the point where they essentially cannot be told apart.

I have attached a PDF file to let you see my progress. Sorry about the purple outline and the poor quality resolution.

For any of you who have a SIPS decal, I have measured the overall dimenions of the decal as 56mm high by 440mm long. I would appreciate a check as I only have access to a single decal and just want to make sure it was not changed over the life of the decal's production.

The biggest problem is that I am having to take into account the fact that the decal I am using as my template is stuck on the rear window - ie not a flat surface but curved which distorts the dimension somewhat.

Watch this space.

Regards

Hughvo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SIPS decal 50%.pdf (10.5 KB, 46 views)
Hughvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 12:57   #14
John_C
Allons-y!

I've not forgotten about this BTW just been really busy, I'll get a pic posted up today

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 21:28   #15
blackv6

i have a tailgate in the garden with the "sips" sticker still in if anyone is interested in the whole tailgate or just the sticker please let me know.

regards.

mark.
blackv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:04   #16
Hughvo

Hi Mark

I would very much like to get a hold of your SIPS decal to assit me in creating my copy. I will PM you regarding this so keep a look out for it.

Thank you very much for your kind offer as I am sure, given the interest this post has generated, there are other SIPS decal tragics like me who would like one for their 850.

I have attached my latest update as a PDF. It is going well, but I really need a SIPS decal to complete it with the accuracy I desire. The "SIPS" acronym part of my version is within 0.2mm on all dimensions.

Hughvo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SIPS_solid.pdf (11.2 KB, 39 views)
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:33   #17
darrens

If I can get mine off in one piece your welcome to have it.

mine is flakey on the edges though.
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:18   #18
Hughvo

Hi darrens

Thank you also very much for the kind offer. Having it flakey on the edges is no problem as I have the overall dimensions for the decal plus the relative positions of the text within the decal boundary. I do need however access to the letters on a flat surface as I am having to replicate the font through taking the dimensions with a set of digital verniers.

I guess this leads on to the best way to remove the decal.

The way I used to remove the old rego sticker we had here in South Australia before they changed the adhesive was to grab an old newspaper and cut several layers (4-6) into the shape of the sticker allowing for about 1/2 inch overhang on all edges. The newspaper was then put under the tap until it was entirey wet. The wet newspaper was placed over the sticker (its moisture held it onto the glass) and left for about 30-45mins, after which time the sticker was easy to remove. However, the rego sticker was paper based which allowed the moisture to penetrate through it and dilute the adhesive - I am not sure this will work with the SIPS decal. Also the SIPS decal passes over a few demister lines, and I don't know the consequences of having them under sustained moisture for 30-45mins.

Alternatively castlet5 mentioned success in removing the decal in one piece through the use of a hair dryer and no doubt some patience. I presume this was used to soften the adhesive, with the air flow aimed at the junction between the glass and the decal as it comes away.

I have not ever tried to remove one myself, so I cannot talk from experience with either of these methods.

Please don't put yourself out until I hear back from blackv6 as I would hate for you to start only to have you finish removing it using a razor blade or some such, taking up half your day.

As mentioned, once I have completed my Autocad file I am happy to post this. I also intend to pass this through to a graphic artist friend of mine to generate a print quality PhotoShop PDF file which can be used by a print shop to create the decal - I am also happy to post or email this file as well depending on its size. I will be getting some decals made here "down under" for myself and if anyone does not want to use the posted graphic files to get their own made locally, I will be happy to pass the ones I get through to anyone interested for the cost of having them made. With the current Aussie $ exchange rate to the UK, I am sure they won't cost much.

Kindest Regards

Hughvo

Last edited by Hughvo; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 13:46.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:21   #19
Hughvo

Default SIPS tips & tricks

If anyone has removed an old or damaged SIPS decal from their rear window, and can suggest a method they found to make this process easy, could you let me know.

I would like to include some decal removal instructions with my decal image post. I would particularly like to know how you got it started (fingernail under corner?) and how long it took - if you can remember.

Regards

Hughvo
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 22:22   #20
castlet5
t5

sips is an anogram of something im sure but i just cant think what??

on an unrelated subject ..i am going out on the sips tommorrow night
castlet5 is offline   Reply With Quote