Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SIPS decal on rear window

Views : 8767

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 23:49   #21
toolbah
Master Member

Default SIPS sticker

Im in the sign trade so I may be able to help you all. If you reqire them to be in a sticker form, ie printed, then a minimum quantity would have to be orderd eg 20. If you want individual cut letters, to size and style, then this can also be done. The more that is orderd the more the cost will come down. I have a sticker in the back of my 850 ( I think??) will check. If intrested I can get some prices for you all.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 00:01   #22
mharriso
Master Member

SIPS.. reckon it stands for....

Sad Infatuation Problematic Sticker

Guys you are all fanatics and make us proud....well done !!!!!
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 00:10   #23
Brian Norwich

You can have mine if you wish, I was going to remove it anyway. Ideally you could have the car it comes with, a 2.5 20v 850 M reg estate in need of a loving owner . PM me if interested, I can try to remove it with a hairdryer or whatever, yours for cost of postage.
Brian Norwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 00:37   #24
Hughvo

Default SIPS decal removal technique

Fellow SIPS tragics, I have received some very helpful advice from castlet5, and the technique he used to remove his SIPS decal. Here it is;

you need a hairdryer (any kind will do) and a very very very thin piece of plastic...the kind like you get with araldite to mix the filler/hardner together with...or a very thin metal kids school ruler.

heat one corner of the decal for a few minutes and you will notice the very corner edge start to lift itself...then work youre way under with the ruler and the hairdryer heating the part youre lifting as you go.

the trick is to do it very very slowly and when it is off completely it will roll itself up...dont worry about that .

then carefully unroll the sticker and put it between to books or pieces of stiff cardboard but make sure you put clear vaseline or lubricant on 1 of the pieces of card or it will just stick itself onto it.

leave it overnight or for 2 days and when you take it out the glue side will be covered in lube so it wont roll up again.

I trust this helps.

Toolbah - I have not been able to determine the fonts used in the decal, and have guesed that Volvo created a proprietary font for SIPS to enhance its marketability. I am therefore reverse engineering the decal in AutoCad with the intention of printing a 600dpi PDF for manipulation in Photoshop or equivalent. This way I am able to get as close to the original letter shapes as possible, at least to within 0.5mm. Are you able to use the PDF file for printing? we woudl need to pay close attention to both the colour/lustre of the letters plus the type of adhesive used as the decal does run over a couple of demister lines, and we want to mimise the chance of the decal burning, although I have seen a few original decals that have gone this way.

After I have received one or two original samples, which allows me to capture the dimension to a very high level of precision, I can finish off my AutoCad work and we can go from there.

Hughvo
Hughvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 00:53   #25
Darth Mensor
Jedi are Wimps

Default Hmmmmmm

So It's Perfectly Standard. (Haven't Started Upgrading Yet)

Sh*t I'm Practically Skint. (Haven't Finished Upgrading Yet!!!)

Sometimes I Pray Silently. (Jeez I took that bend too fast!!)

Sexybabe(s) In Passenger Seat(s). (Self Explanatory)

Should I Purchase S**. (40/70/80 - You Choose)

Sorry It's Practically Shagg*d. (Favourite Mechanics Saying)
Darth Mensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 01:13   #26
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Default Another downunder SIPS tragic

I am watching all these developments regarding the SIPS sticker keenly.

I see all these other Volvos buzzing around with SIPS stickers almost brazenly displayed on the tailgate glass.

So much so, that I couldn't really blame my poor old T5 wagon if it develops some sort of Volvo 850 complex as it has to sneak around the backstreets denuded of this magnificent embellishment.

I'd like to change this situation a.s.a.p. and also boost the self-esteem of my faithful road-rocket.

So I'll put my hand up to buy, beg or steal one of these stickers if any become available to enable my wagon to hold it's head up amongst all those 'real' Volvos out there.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:58   #27
castlet5
t5

all this interest...its a good job that volvo didnt fit them on the outside of the window or i think a few may be going missing overnight....

imagine balaclava'd sipsless volvo drivers sneaking round the back streets at night armed with a hair dryer and a very long extension cable.

good job us volvo drivers are all honest upstanding pillars of the community ehh
castlet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 20:49   #28
Bonzo2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbah View Post
Im in the sign trade so I may be able to help you all. If you reqire them to be in a sticker form, ie printed, then a minimum quantity would have to be orderd eg 20. If you want individual cut letters, to size and style, then this can also be done. The more that is orderd the more the cost will come down. I have a sticker in the back of my 850 ( I think??) will check. If intrested I can get some prices for you all.
Put me down for one of the 20. If I had 20 850's without stickers I'd take the lot. Unfortunatley I don't
Bonzo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 00:46   #29
Hughvo

Default Getting closer

Dear fellow SIPS tragics

I am now most of the way towards re-creating the SIPS decal in AutoCad having recently been sent one in excellent condition which has made my job a lot easier.

I shall get back to you shortly with my finished design and also the PDF that can be used by a grahpics shop to create new decals.

Stay tuned.

Regards

Hughvo
Hughvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 19:02   #30
Shellshock
:)

Going to bump this up! I want a SIPS decal!!
Shellshock is offline   Reply With Quote