Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New V70 / XC70 first impressions

Views : 6398

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 15:30   #1
DCO

Default New V70 / XC70 first impressions

Had a try in a couple of 6 speed manual D5 V70s yesterday and also a Geartronic XC70 D5.

Very impressed with the low engine noise for a diesel, to the extent that in the first vehicle, I thought that it was petrol powered!

Performance was excellent, with loads of torque. On the geartronic, there is still a slight lag when pulling away from rest, whilst the gearbox decides to select 1st gear, but certainly better than on older models. Wind noise was noticable at speed, but mainly because the engine was so quiet! Overall the noise level was actually low. Handling was excellent and the brakes equally good. On the XC70 the suspension settings could be altered at a touch of a button. On "comfort", is did what it said! On "sport" the suspension was stiffened and body roll reduced. The ride was still very acceptable, and better than an XC90. A third harder and stiffer setting was also available, but I did not test this mode. There wer no clonks or bangs from the suspension and even over rough surfaces the vehicles were comfortable and well mannered.

Seats in the front seemed very comfortable with plenty of adjustment. Rear seats were rather flat and unsupportive and were not in the same class as those in the front. They would be OK for adults on relatively short journeys, but no doubt will be fine for children. Leg room is a little better than previous 70 models, but although the vehicle is actually longer than an XC90, not as good as the XC90.

Visibility was fine, with pretty good alround vision, and noticably better around the 'A' post than the XC90.

Main load space was long, and the tailgate rake angle means that boxy shaped objects are easily accomodated. Quick adjusting, aluminium sliding tie down hooks were set into a pair of rails set in the floor at either side of the boot floor. At load cover height, two attachment points are set in each side to which further fixings may be attached. A flip up panel with a couple of hooks for holding bags of shopping to stop the contents ending scattered ofver the entire boot, is set into the floor panel. Under the floor panel there is a shallow, sectioned storage area. For security this can only be accessed when the tailgate is open. This floor section is supported on a pair of gas struts. Folding the seats as simple, and the head rests fold at a press of a button.

The instrument panel was clear and easy to read, and the buttons on the steering wheel for cruise control, radio etc, and when fitted, sat nav. were all well placed and relatively intuitative. The controls on the centre console were not as clear to use as they could be, but were reasonable.

External styling, the vehicle looks better in the metal than in photos. Interior seems to be of reasonable quality, although a little brash for some tastes.

If you already own a V70 or XC70 then this new model definitely represents a big step forward, particularly with refinement and well worth looking at.

PS. Forgot to say, I have no connection with Volvo nor any dealer.

Last edited by DCO; Jul 30th, 2007 at 17:25.
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 21:44   #2
Blashford

Default 3.2 engine

Hello all,

Has somebody already tested the new XC70 with the 3.2 engine?.

I will buy the new XC70 but I have some doubts about which engine to choose. D5 or 3.2?.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Blashford; Jul 30th, 2007 at 21:47.
Blashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 21:46   #3
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

I've ordered a the new XC70 D5 (Geartronic) should be here the end of Sept.

It will be my 10th Volvo. The previous ones were 4 V70's first was a 140 the rest D5's & 5 XC70 all D5's.

The D5 pulls well and in my old V70 got over 49mpg on a long run.

I think the D5 will hold its secondhand value better than the 3.2.

Also I can't see you getting anymore than 25mpg out of the 3.2. If you're getting a V70 then maybe the 3.2 but I really don't see the point of the 3.2 in the XC70.

Just my thoughts.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 13:49   #4
Kobe

Did you order before a test drive?? as I was told I would need to wait 6-8 weeks and I only got a test drive last week.

I tested a V70 T6 geartronic and a XC70 D5 geartronic.. drove both for about 25minutes on my own.

The V70 T6 - steering was far to vague in the dead ahead position, so much so, it becomes really painful to drive the car for any length of time.. the engine didn't feel that gutsy considering the specification.. didn't like the compass in the mirror - a distraction maybe.

The XC70 D5 steering was quite different and generally OK.. and I had expected worse than the V70 considering the higher suspension. The only thing I can think is that it had the optional speed assistance power steering.. which then was a must for me.. the 3 different suspension settings were not that different to be so important.. perhaps on a test track you might feel it. Seats were nice.. forgot to try out the descent technology. The D5 engine was quiet enough.. clearly slower than the T6 - but the fuel/tax justification of the T6 versus performance isn't there.

I liked the remote power tailgate and hidden compartment for the valuables which can only be opened by the tailgate (versus smashing a window.. which happened on my audi avant)

based on this set of drives, I ordered the XC70 D5 sport - however it isn't a cheap car, with options it's £38,000. My first Volvo - so wondering if it will be the first of many.. or the only one
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 19:45   #5
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

I never test drove the new XC70 before ordering (only saw it in the flesh a couple of weeks back).

I think the engine in the new XC70 D5 is the same as the one in my current car, so I'm expecting the power delivery to be the same, as for the rest of the car only time will tell. I know it will be comfortable to drive and the extra toys won't get used much (Hill Decent, Sat Nav.) but the different suspension setting could, I have the 2 settings in my current car Comfort and Sport. It stays in Comfort 95% of the time but there is a differance in Sport, it does tighten the car up. I remember thinking the first time I had it that its a waste of £1k, so the next car I bought was just an SE and I really missed it, it works without you knowing it even in Comfort, the car feel so much safer in tight bends, round-abouts etc.

Also the new car will have powered tailgate which will make life a little easier when loading & unloading.

I've ordered the XC70 D5 Lux Geartronic (with SatNav & Upgraded Sound System for £1k) and I've got my VOC discount, well worth the £24 year sub.

Thanks VOC....

Last edited by Chaddie; Sep 30th, 2007 at 19:48.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 20:31   #6
Kobe

what was the delivery time they quoted you?

the options between the sport and lux are more or less interchangeable.. so the cars end up the same if you spend enough..

I went for the D5 sport manual - though as I said, the options are expensive - weighing in at £4K.. one reason for taking a manual to reduce the C02 hit.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 20:38   #7
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

I was first told the delivery time will be the last week of Sept. but its now the 3rd week of Oct.

The full cost of my car (without the VOC & SatNav Upgrade Discounts) was just under £39,000.

What have you had added to yours to bring it upto £38k, but must say in the showroom at the local dealership they have a New XC70 D5 Sport Geartronic (fully loaded) and its around the £41,000 mark.

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 21:26   #8
Kobe

that's a pain they put your delivery time, especially since you ordered in good faith of an early delivery.. I don't have a delivery date confirmed on mine as it's a lease car - infact the lease cost of an XC70 was basically the same as a V70, even though it is a few K more expensive purchase price.

xenon lights
front/rear park assist
RTI nav
power tailgate
blue tooth
detachable towbar
ipod
metallic

+ a few smaller ones
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 21:37   #9
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Over the standard D5 Lux, I've gone for:-

RTI Nav
Upgrade Sound System (650 Watts)
Geartronic
Metallic
Dark Tint

I'm in two minds about the iPod, but it can be fitted by the dealer, so might add that at a later date.

I was told not to have Front Park Assist, because on the current model you either have Park Assist turned ON or OFF you can't just turn the front off, so in your suck in traffic the front park keeps going off, not sure if that is true?

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:50   #10
Kobe

I didn' check the park assist.. I guess you switch it off until a parking situation. I assume the rear engages with the reverse gear?