Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.5D type D5252T turbo diesel V70

Views : 18386

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 19:55   #21
richardbell556

tel no. 01932338600 (surrey)
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardbell556 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 13:16   #22
BillB
VOC Member

I don't doubt anyone here who says this thing works but when I rang Nordic with the intention to order I sought confirmation with them that the reader would work with MSA15.8 on a year 2000 classic shape V70 Tdi. Nordic's man "Justin" made an enquiry to bsr (the supplier) on my behalf and the reply was that it WOULDN'T read my car BUT they were intending to release another reader in January that would. So now I'm wondering what to do. Regards.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 18:11   #23
richardbell556

Default ££

i've done my home work for the last year! look at it this way unless you have £8000 to spend you will not get a new bosch decoder and then after a year have to pay £800 for software renewal .. mine is msr18.5 or what ever its a v70 2.5d year 2000 ... if you can read some is better than now't .... you might get a fault like mine that can be read on other hand it might not but i think i'm write in saying that some garages would charge you £50 ish or more even if and i mean if they can as 99.99998 will not anyway . unless they know for sure they can read your car...if not will they still charge you for 1hrs labour???? at least you have a chance to read the code i say chance as ive only read the fault code that i have .. but i also read v70 2002 2.4 d5 desiel too so if it can read some it's better than nothing... without one you in the hands of the gods.. plus if you can read the fault say its a bulb on your head light you could go to a garage to read code and be told a load of ===t that is nothing to do with the bulb.not saying it will happen but ?
you might know the fault code whats wrong but don't know how to fix it . at least you have less chance of a hole in your pocket if it reads one fault and you fix it is that not worth your £50 or less chance of been robbed. at onetime you worried about the points slipping ect. at least you had a chance nowadays if the car brakes down is it even worth opening the bonnet???? if so why dont serpose you carry all that eleci wiz'dry in your jacket pocket going to asda shopping just incase?? lol sign of the time bring back the good old days...
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 22:06   #24
BillB
VOC Member

OK Richard I take your point. I better give it a go. BTW, my best local main dealer charges me about £20 to read and clear (for a VOC member) but, as you indicate, if it needs reading three times I'm still quids in with the ppc reader. Regards.
BillB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 23:50   #25
kvcuijck

I used this PPC device from BSR with my 2.5D '99 MSA 15.8 V70. It seems to be doing the trick with the engine management fault codes.

Last year I also had the "engine warning light" on for quite some time and suspected the EGR system to be the problem. Unfortunately I could not read out the fault codes.

With the PPC device I get the following code:
ECM 0038. Looking up at their website it says something in Swedish I cannot understand. It defenitely has something to do with EGR

Anybody?:
ECM-0038 EGR-reglering. För högt flöde
ECM-0038 EGR-reglering. För högt flöde/ För lågt flöde.
ECM-0038 EGR-reglering. För lågt flöde

Regards,

Koen
kvcuijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 20:40   #26
flatstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvcuijck View Post
I used this PPC device from BSR with my 2.5D '99 MSA 15.8 V70. It seems to be doing the trick with the engine management fault codes.

Last year I also had the "engine warning light" on for quite some time and suspected the EGR system to be the problem. Unfortunately I could not read out the fault codes.

With the PPC device I get the following code:
ECM 0038. Looking up at their website it says something in Swedish I cannot understand. It defenitely has something to do with EGR

Anybody?:

Regards,

Koen
Hi, my bible says that ecm 0038 is REAR HO2S BANK1 HEATING, and EGR is relivant to EXHAUST GAS RECERCULATION, check these codes in full on www.ppc-diagnostic.com.
Hope this has been of some help to you
flatstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 17:16   #27
Dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasesonix View Post
Hi,

Yes it work and has saved me £££s,

I'll PM you the company that I got them from.

Loz
Hi sorry to hi-jack this but could you do the same for me please. Dave
Dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 13:33   #28
kvcuijck

After getting in contact with BSR I received the following reply I would like to share:

Here is a translation. It indicates a flow issue with the EGR system. A Volvo mechanic can help you with interpreting the code and suggest a proper course of action.

ECM-0038 EGR-regulation, flow rate too low.

ECM-0038 EGR-regulation, flow rate too high/ too low.

ECM-0038 EGR-regulation, flow rate too high

Im my case I suspect flow rate too low, but that's another discussion in a different subject.

Regards,

Koen

P.s. This PPC Diagnostic System works perfect for reading out DTC's related to the engine control module.
kvcuijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 09:06   #29
alv70d1999
I've Been Banned

has anyone come to a conclusion as to what code reader will read ecu codes and reset the airbag on msa15.8 yet?

iv been told that the maxidiag eu702 will work but i dont know anyone thats got one?

Last edited by alv70d1999; Mar 15th, 2010 at 09:09.
alv70d1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:03   #30
prionailurus
Dan

Very curious to see what will read 15.8, I've got the lead and a USB to serial converter lead, but FCR1.3 is just giving interface errors on the port, as is scantool & EasyOBDII
prionailurus is offline   Reply With Quote