Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine swap loom issues.. B230ET Motronic

Views : 11311

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:10   #1
joethefish

Exclamation Engine swap loom issues.. B230ET Motronic

Hi all, well I have recenty aquired a B230ET motronic engine to put into my 240 (currently a K-Jet car)
Today I had a cursory look at the 'loom' that was supplied supposedly complete..
I think i'm missing some vital bits.. namely the main ECU Now my 'loom' ends in this:

Which after some quick searches of diagrams I think is the motronic power stage.. (see here: http://www.autoelectric.ru/auto/volvo/7 ... 740-89.htm motronic b230et )
Which means I'm missing some bits.. now from the box I do have there is wiring to injectors, starter, intake, TPS, and a couple of temp senders.
What I'm obviously missing is the crank position sensor and engine speed sensor wiring. (sensors are still on the engine) As well as the AFM wiring. I'm lead to believe its basically just these and the injectors needed to run on motronic
So couple of questions please.. can anyone confirm i'm on the right lines and not being a muppet.. secondly where do I go from here? Try and source a 'complete' loom or give up and go to Mega squirt..
Suggestions welcome, preferably cheap ones as I'm now pretty broke after splurging on the engine Oh and no volvos in my local scrapyards
Thanks in advance
Joe
joethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:35   #2
joethefish

Well looking at this diagram again I believe I have most of the stuff marked in red:

Definately injector wiring, TPS, some senders from the block (three I think) inlet manifold sensor (temp?) and some wiring that appears to be starter/alt wiring.
Anyone feed me anymore info on what i'm missing/what I need to make it run.. dont really want to drop it in till I know its ready to go!
Can supply pics of the whole loom if required!
Joe
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:40   #3
joethefish

Ok all.. heres some diagrams and pics.. will be stripping all the wraps off the loom today to see colours as well : But hopefully this is enough info for someone to figure out if I am missing anything or not..

First the diagram I'm using.. red bits are engine running apparently:

Full size version here :
http://www.autoelectric.ru/auto/volv...989/740-89.htm Second set down.. 'Motronic'

This is what I have.. pics taken in order they branch off the main section but not unwrapped so may not be exact... but all bits are pictured..

First is the black box.. think this is 289 on the diagram. Motronic Power stage.

Next is this white multi plug (female) connects to nothing I can see, but does appear to have the same wiring colours as the injectors?

Then this pair of plugs, one male one female, again nothing to connect to.

Next is these, which look like starter/alt or coil wires.

Then this which obviously fits on the inlet pipe.. connects to a sensor.. guessing inlet temp?

Now this.. its an odd connector.. sure i've seen it on my 240 but cant remember where for the life of me?

Labelled speed controller but I think it's what i'd call a throttle position sensor.

This again looks starter/coil/alt 'ish' but not sure but think is starter.

Idle control valve...

Four injectors.

These are connected to the block, the blue one is cold start injector i think, the others senders of various sorts.

Then the whole lot ends in this. Again the multi plugs have no obvious home.. the blue I think goes to the coil?

Hopefully someone can have a look at that lot and tell me where things go and what I'm missing.. Looking at the diagram I 'believe' to run I also need wiring to the AFM (186) and the main ecu? Please correct me if im wrong!
Joe
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:36   #4
telmo

Hi Joe

I have a B200ET on my 740'87, soon I will get some photos and try to make some helpful posts.

Good luck, it is the best engine for our bricks...
telmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:58   #5
joethefish

Thanks that would be great.. think I have the figured out where it all goes its just the bits im missing now!
Old May 28th, 2009, 00:21   #6
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Ok Motronic Expert checking in

Ok Now looking at what you've shown you have basically been sold the Injector powerstage and the wiring loom thats in the engine bay.

It should all look like this no doubt.

This plugs into the Balast Resistor pack for the Injectors. Item Number 376 on the volvo diagram.

You can just see the ballast resistors plugged into the white connector in the far right of the 1st picture I posted.

Going back to the 1st picture just to the left of those ballast resistors you have 2 multi plugs. One of the plugs is redunant and not used as that was for the wiring for an ETC system that was never fitted to any motronic cars i've come across. You can just ignore it, doesnt have to be connectted to anything.

The other plug takes the wires which carries the Starter motor solenoid Signal, the Alternator signal, the Oil Pressure switch and the Coolant Temp Gauge wiring. So your 240 will allready have these wires in place so you can simply connect the correct ones up from this to the 240's exsisting wires.

Those 2 wires go on the back of your alternator. One is the 12v+ feed round lug and the spade connector does the charge light on the dash.

The green wire is the starter motor soleniod signal wire. The red wire is the 12+V feed which is looped of the alternator feed as well.

Oil pressure light switch

The picture where its labbelled speed controller, your corrrect thats the TPS.

Blue 2 pin connector is Cold Start Injector. Grey plug with 2 round pins is Water Temp sender for gauge in dash. Black 2 pin connector is water temp signal for ecu, the white 1 pin is the water temp signal for the Constant idle system.

Yes your correct the blue wire goes to the coil.

Now the 2 grey connecttors now attach to anotehr loom that has matching connectors which then dissapeaar through the bulkhead inside the car which go to the ECU Connector and to a 50pin connector, also going through the bulkhead is another wiring loom that runs along the drivers side of the engine bay which has the AMF connector and all the wiring for the headlight, washer bottle, headlight wipers etc etc.

It will look like this.

Sorry its not best laid out in that pic but i'll explain,

Bottom right large white connector that is the ECU Connector.

The black connector above it has roughly 50pins in it and mainly has the wiring for the Lights, headlight wipers, windscreen washers etc, but it also has wires that are needed for the Constant Idle system, this is another box that lives just above the ecu in the drivers footwell. (i'll have to take a picture of this as its still sitting in the car) It also has the connecttors that run to the main motronic relay, which powers all of the ECU system.

Just to the left of it, there is a small grey, blue and another grey plug and you can see the indicator and dayrunning light bulb holders. These connectors are for the lights and wipers so of no interest to you.

Then you have your 2 large grey plugs which will plug into the loom that you allready have.

Just below that you can see the big large rubber bulkhead grommet, to the left of that is the connector for the AFM.

The connectors near the bowl of bananas are the 2 crank sensor plugs.

As I'm deleting Motronic from My 740 turbo to fit an aftermarket programmble ECU, by the time i'd cut all the motronic stuff out the loom so all i had left was my wiper and headlight loom i was left with it below, you can see all the motronic stuff i cut out to the side.

I'm not sure where you got those volvo scans from, but you could also do with scans for the pages of the CIS and also the pinnouts of the 50pin connectors.

I do have the book with these in so could scan them for you if needed.

Unfortnaley I scrapped my other 740 turbo that had the all the missing wiring motoronic looms that you need in, as I took the engine from that to do a 240 turbo, but decided to use Bosch LH2.4 from a late 240 to do the ecu wiring instead, at the moment with the hassle thats giving I wish i'd jsut wired in Motronic which i know so well.

Any questions ask and i'll try and answer them for you.

Last edited by Chesh740R; May 28th, 2009 at 00:25.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:13   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Fantastic post! I'm watching this thread with awe and admiration.

The bent yellow cylindrical objects are bananas. They are for plugging into your ears if your wife ever starts telling you not to buy any more Volvos.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:27   #8
joethefish

Now thats a seriously useful post..
Well my current update goes something like this...
Two days spent posting requests on boards, emailing ebay people and calling in to scrap yards has left me with no motronic in sight.
Then late yesterday I recieved an email along the lines of:
'I havn't got any motronic bits but I do have a brand new unopened self assembly Megasquirt V2.2. Yours if you want it £xx'
So as the price was cheap I now have megasquirt headed my way.
Am carrying on the search for the motronic bits but at least I have an option now, so unless the bits turn up it will be megasquirted
Of course that brings a whole load of new questions about which sensors etc are compatable and what cars to find them in in the UK.. but thats for another post.
Many thanks for your help, hopefully i'll still get the motronic bits I need and can build MS at my leisure.. lol
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:06   #9
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

ive got motronic running on my kit car , so the loom would suit you ! - it has been hacked about , but i plan on running either LH2.4 , MS or swapping for a 5/6 cylinder.

i think tho that if you have MS - you should just do that .
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:14   #10
joethefish

well i will have MS when I finish building it! lol planning to keep my eyes open for the bits to complete my motronic too though. It will be handy to have a back up plan!