Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Roof problems

Views : 25593

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2013, 20:31   #11
Flingel
VOC Member

Mike,
My roof rubs on the passenger side tonneau stop.
Always has, although the stop had been cut down when we bought the car.
Didn't realise the problem was there until I replaced the stop to level the lid up.
Roof seems to function as it should, complete with dings and bongs.

Not sure if the car hasn't had a shunt on the NSR corner at some point.
When I changed the rear lights the Near Side was a PITA to fit, difficult to line up properly.
Not sure if related.

Frequently stopped roof mid cycle, to clean rear window, mask off when colouring/proofing with no issues.

HTH,
Terry.

2002 C70 Convertible
Flingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 23:34   #12
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks for the reply. I've got no reason to suspect mine has had a rear end shunt but I must admit I did wonder if that was the issue. Have you managed to do anything to stop it rubbing? Mine seems to have worn very quickly in the few times I operated the roof since buying the car in April and in the end I was sticking gaffa tape on so it rubbed that instead of the fabric, but I would like to come up with a more permanent solution if possible.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 11:52   #13
Paul Verhaak

Default C70 roof issue

My roof has given me problems of late. A week ago I opened the roof to air the car (as I have some seal problem) and then could not close it again. Checked the fuses, all ok. But, the fasten seatbelt sign and the rear window and mirror heating did not work either which would indicate a fuse problem.
I used the 2 tools to raise the roof manually (just before the rain started!) and once completely closed, the seatbelt lights plus heating worked again.
Yesterday I tried to open the roof again but only the part where the rear window is went up, the rest played dead. Could not close it and had to use the tool to do it manually. I have booked an appointment with the Volvo garage for the 16th...and unless someone has an explanation for this error, i am sure it will cost me some ££.
Paul Verhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 19:18   #14
MikeS100
Premier Member

There are so many sensors for the roof that your plan to take it to a dealer is probably your best bet, but be prepared to pay for it. My local dealer charged me £118 to diagnose the problem, and they initially mis-diagnosed it. Not sure about the seat belt warning but it is normal for the heated rear screen and mirrors to not work while the roof is open so I don't think you have any issues there. The fact that it won't close and only opened the cover sounds like it could well be a sensor somewhere that's gone, when it gets to the problem sensor it just stops to protect itself. Hopefully it's not the main module that's gone, but if you do end up replacing something you will then have to also pay approx £60 for a dealer to re-calibrate the roof
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeS100 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 11:19   #15
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS100 View Post
There are so many sensors for the roof that your plan to take it to a dealer is probably your best bet, but be prepared to pay for it. My local dealer charged me £118 to diagnose the problem, and they initially mis-diagnosed it. Not sure about the seat belt warning but it is normal for the heated rear screen and mirrors to not work while the roof is open so I don't think you have any issues there. The fact that it won't close and only opened the cover sounds like it could well be a sensor somewhere that's gone, when it gets to the problem sensor it just stops to protect itself. Hopefully it's not the main module that's gone, but if you do end up replacing something you will then have to also pay approx £60 for a dealer to re-calibrate the roof
This is one thing that worries me with the C70 conv. The lack of possible self diagnoses concerning the workings of the roof = £££££ ;-(
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 11:13   #16
MikeS100
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flingel View Post
Frequently stopped roof mid cycle, to clean rear window, mask off when colouring/proofing with no issues.
I'm going to have a look at 'modifying' the bump stop today so that means stopping the roof mid cycle. When you do this do you then carry on opening the roof afterwards so the cycle completes or do you just push the switch the other way to drop it back down?

Having spent £60 yesterday getting it recalibrate I'm now paranoid about throwing it out of sync again! Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeS100 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:21   #17
Flingel
VOC Member

Quote:
I'm going to have a look at 'modifying' the bump stop today so that means stopping the roof mid cycle. When you do this do you then carry on opening the roof afterwards so the cycle completes or do you just push the switch the other way to drop it back down?

Having spent £60 yesterday getting it recalibrate I'm now paranoid about throwing it out of sync again! Lol.
Sorry Mike, probably a bit late now!

I've had no problems with just returning to the closed position without completing the cycle.

The bump stops are quite east to adjust, they are effectively just a big rubber screw.
Just twist them to whichever position you need them in.

One thing I found is that they harden with age, so may not be as pliable as when new and may be prone to snapping.

I got a new pair from the dealers for under a tenner, I think.

Terry.

2002 C70 Convertible
Flingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flingel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 11:55   #18
krussel
Premier Member

Quote:

I have stopped mine in mid cycle to clean out the storage area. It went back ok and closed.

Know what you mean though ;-/
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krussel For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 20:48   #19
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks guys. I tried adjusting the bump stop but it didn't help so I ended up cutting it back quite dramatically. It's still rubbing but nowhere near as bad as it was so hopefully it won't wear the roof anymore. Now all I need is to try and find an upholsterer that can repair the damaged area!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeS100 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 21:45   #20
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I'm digging up and old thread but I have a similar problem. Just bought a 2003 model T5 GT Convertible for a bit of a project. The roof goes up and down okay but the windows don't drop 5cm as they should and there is no "beep" when it closes. Also the rear heated window won't switch on which suggests to me that the "brains" of the car doesn't think the roof is up properly.

Plugged in VIDA and there were a few faults with the roof, implausible position, switch etc. Stupidly I cleared them thinking I would collect a new set by opening and closing the roof. No faults at all....

However it is saying that the Front lock rear micro switch is not active when all others are (see below). But reading the removal process for this switch it starts with "remove convertible fabric..." Also the "Switch Conv Up" was not active.

How hard can this be? It's a series of micro swicthes and motors - I'm going to persevere and have a go, will keep people posted and any suggestions welcome (other than take it to the dealer...).

Last edited by Tannaton; Mar 28th, 2015 at 21:47.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote