Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 SRS Service URGENT message

Views : 10870

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2010, 23:52   #1
volvo_bloke

Default XC90 SRS Service URGENT message

Hi. this is my first post and have searched but cannot find this issue solved elsewhere. i would love your help.

A message has appeared on the dash saying SRS-Airbag Service Urgent. It is a permanent code (and returns despite clearing it using the plug in code reader (PPC Diagnostic). The code is "SRS-0218 Front left front impact sensor. Faulty signal"

We had a bit too much shoved in round the kids - and it might be that some stuff was pushed under either of the front sides from behind. I have checked the connections visually and cannot see anything wrong but i am not sure which connections are to do with the SRS system.

Does anyone know if there are any common xc90 (05) faults which would result in this code?

Which coloured connectors relate to the SRS system under the seats - or is this a red herring for this code?

Any suggestions to make this go away before my hols and make Mrs D happy?

Any help very much appreciated.
PS - there hasn't been any work on the electrics of any system on the car - the fault appeared a couple of hundred miles in on a long journey with a car full of kids and luggage.
volvo_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 23:58   #2
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

Hi,this sensor is under the n/s headlamp if I remember right,the headlamp is easily removed by lifting up 2 steel bars then the headlamps pop out,the sensor should be visible bolted to the panel underneath,the connections can corrode.
Old May 25th, 2010, 00:02   #3
volvo_bloke

thanks grass hopper. i am familiar with the two tabs (assuming they are the right angle steels pulls just above the lap unit under the bonnet). Once I am in there is the sensor and its connections obvious?

Sounds like looking for internal connections was a red herring - unless they all terminate under there.

Do i need to disconnect the battery if the ignition is off as i am not worried about other fault codes because they can be cleared with he ppc but do not want to set off the airbags!

thanks for the speedy reply.
Old May 25th, 2010, 00:09   #4
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

i would disconnect the battery then wait 10 minutes,the sensor is mounted with 1 small bolt.
Old May 25th, 2010, 00:10   #5
volvo_bloke

thanks. will give it a go tomorrow. it that more common than issues the other end where it connects to the srs computer? Do you know where the connections to the computer are just in case? Thanks again.
Old May 25th, 2010, 00:17   #6
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

the srs module is well hidden under the centre console,its bolted to the floor on a metal bracket just behind the gear lever.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:09   #7
D5Gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_bloke View Post
Hi. this is my first post and have searched but cannot find this issue solved elsewhere. i would love your help.

A message has appeared on the dash saying SRS-Airbag Service Urgent. It is a permanent code (and returns despite clearing it using the plug in code reader (PPC Diagnostic). The code is "SRS-0218 Front left front impact sensor. Faulty signal"

We had a bit too much shoved in round the kids - and it might be that some stuff was pushed under either of the front sides from behind. I have checked the connections visually and cannot see anything wrong but i am not sure which connections are to do with the SRS system.

Does anyone know if there are any common xc90 (05) faults which would result in this code?

Which coloured connectors relate to the SRS system under the seats - or is this a red herring for this code?

Any suggestions to make this go away before my hols and make Mrs D happy?

Any help very much appreciated.
PS - there hasn't been any work on the electrics of any system on the car - the fault appeared a couple of hundred miles in on a long journey with a car full of kids and luggage.
where did you get the PPC diagnostic? I need to get hold of one to clear my airbag light too
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:12   #8
volvo_bloke

i got it from nordic direct http://nordicpartsdirect.co.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo_bloke For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2010, 19:58   #9
volvo_bloke

Default no luck

hi everyone/ grass hopper

thanks for your help. Checked out all the connections for the front sensor both left (as per message) and right. unfortunately the code still instantly reappears. Just to double check - i am looking at the 1" x 2" plate with a two wire connector and a white raised rectangular section in the centre of the sensor which is sitting horizontally on the cross member just behind/ under where the headlamp locates? If that is the sensor then i can only think of four main options:
1. sensor faulty
2. wire faulty
3. SRS cpu (or connection to it) faulty.
4. Code reader cannot clear code (contrary to what they say)

Any suggestions anyone. Getting a bit desperate.
Old May 25th, 2010, 20:06   #10
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

yes that will be it, a new substitute and test will be the only way,there could be a special tool that has the same resistance as the sensor to test,only a main dealer will have this.

DON'T PUT A MULTIMETER ON THE WIRES AT THE SENSOR SIDE !!!

THIS COULD SET OF THE AIR BAGS.