Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 V70 towbar

Views : 3453

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2011, 13:09   #1
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Default 1999 V70 towbar

hi guys i have aquired a genuine volvo towbar that im going to fit today hopefully,

do i really need to take the bumper off??

i have the electrics with it where do they plug in? any extras needed?

any advice greatfully recieved

thanks

simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 14:36   #2
GMad
Premier Member

I fitted an 850 towbar to my old 99 V70 and I didn't take the bumper off.
As for the electrics, I just spliced into the tail light wiring..
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 14:50   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
hi guys i have aquired a genuine volvo towbar that im going to fit today hopefully,

thanks

simon
yes you do need to take the bumper off to put the strenghtening plates in that is if you got them with it...
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2011, 22:28   #4
Nig

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post

thanks

simon
here is a picture of the plug on this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=120024&page=2

and gmad i cant understand how you fitted the towbar without removing the bumper becouse as outnumbered said you need to gain access to the box sections to place the threaded nuts with strengthening plates , ? unless yours had a towbar fitted previously and you were lucky in that the plates had stuck in position when it was removed

Last edited by Nig; May 6th, 2011 at 22:30. Reason: added link to picture
Nig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 23:03   #5
simpT5
Lovin all 5 of my pots

Wink

+1 for definitely having to remove the bumper, it's not as difficult as you might think though!

Here are the Witter fitting instructions, other manufactures towbars may differ slightly in design, but the basic fitting procedure is the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VL32.pdf (38.9 KB, 17 views)
Old May 6th, 2011, 23:10   #6
Nig

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpT5 View Post
+1 for definitely having to remove the bumper, it's not as difficult as you might think though!

Here are the Witter fitting instructions, other manufactures towbars may differ slightly in design, but the basic fitting procedure is the same.
no your right, just two bolts underneath and the three plastic clips in each wheel arch, i was going to pop rivet the six wheel arch holes like every car with a towbar seems to have done as the plastic clips get destroyed on removal but couldnt find the collet for the size of rivet so i used some speed clips and self tapping screws to reattach

the only problem i had was one of the bolts had been rounded
Old May 7th, 2011, 16:09   #7
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

yes! D R, you do need to take off the bumper to put the reinforcement plates on. they are very simple to remove. did ours myself the electrics had to be spliced into main loom as on our model there was no connector to plug into.(1999. phase one.) pm sent that might be of use.

elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 16:29   #8
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nig View Post
here is a picture of the plug on this thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=120024&page=2

and gmad i cant understand how you fitted the towbar without removing the bumper becouse as outnumbered said you need to gain access to the box sections to place the threaded nuts with strengthening plates , ? unless yours had a towbar fitted previously and you were lucky in that the plates had stuck in position when it was removed

I'm not sure if we're talking the same car here but, mine was a 1999 series one V70, the towbar was second hand from an 850.
I removed it from the 850 without removing the rear bumper and fitted it to the V70, again without removing the bumper. The towbar wasn't genuine Volvo, it was a Witter I believe and it wasn't a difficult job!
I spliced into the nearside part of the wiring loom for everything except the offside indicator, again with no issues.
Old May 7th, 2011, 17:37   #9
Nig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
I'm not sure if we're talking the same car here but, mine was a 1999 series one V70, the towbar was second hand from an 850.
I removed it from the 850 without removing the rear bumper and fitted it to the V70, again without removing the bumper. The towbar wasn't genuine Volvo, it was a Witter I believe and it wasn't a difficult job!
I spliced into the nearside part of the wiring loom for everything except the offside indicator, again with no issues.

The v70 and 850 both need removing to fit a towbar as they are virtually identical ,
you can remove the towbar without taking the bumper off but you leave the nuts behind inside the box section
there is only one nut already in the chassis which is for the exhaust bracket,

when you removed the towbar off the 850 you must of left the nuts behind
Your v70 must of had a towbar fitted before and then removed and you were lucky in that they must of stuck to the chassis probably due to surface rust
so you were able to bolt it straight in

Last edited by Nig; May 7th, 2011 at 17:48.
Old May 7th, 2011, 17:51   #10
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nig View Post
The v70 and 850 both need removing to fit a towbar as they are virtually identical ,
you can remove the towbar without taking the bumper off but you leave the nuts behind inside the box section
there is only one nut already in the chassis which is for the exhaust bracket,

when you removed the towbar off the 850 you must of left the nuts behind
Your v70 must of had a towbar fitted before and then removed and you were lucky in that they must of stuck to the chassis probably due to surface rust
so you were able to bolt it straight in
That's quite possible, to be honest I didn't really pay that much attention!