Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake System Upgrade

Views : 85589

Replies : 321

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2014, 06:19   #301
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Good work. I can't wait to hear how it drives!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 10:30   #302
Colonel Froth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
Do you have any experience photographing food? I feel like I'm being lead on with lovingly prepared ingredients all the way through these photo series, then I see a finished piece like this and I'm like Randy Marsh on Crème Fraîche.
Colonel Froth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colonel Froth For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 21:19   #303
Oilline

Your welding looks excellent , you using TIG by the look of it. Out of interest how many amps are you using and what size tungsten and filler wire ?
Oilline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:15   #304
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtheonlyreal1 View Post
Looks pretty damn good..
Thank you. I feel like it's been a pretty long road to get to this point, but as they say the first time doing something is the hardest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhog View Post
Nice............................
Thanks. It's definitely been a bit of an emotional roller coaster at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Canadian View Post
Hahahah, I'm not exactly sure how that happened, but it made me laugh (Let's not take ourselves too seriously, mates!)

Back to the build, I'll say it if you won't: TA-DAH!!

And... you may laugh, or you may cry, but it is good to see everything together, 'cause in the midst of all the details I had lost track of what exactly you were doing! Can you summarize again - what, and why at least?
My goal with this project is to build something that can support aggressive driving and still have that classic styling that turns heads. Making a sport car handle better is easy. Making a classic car handle is a true challenge. No matter what happens in the end I feel like I've learned a lot so far on this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Good work. I can't wait to hear how it drives!

John
Thanks, same here. I wonder how it will compare to the original setup. Next step is to get brakes installed and then an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Froth View Post
Do you have any experience photographing food? I feel like I'm being lead on with lovingly prepared ingredients all the way through these photo series, then I see a finished piece like this and I'm like Randy Marsh on Crème Fraîche.
Haha, thanks. So many "build threads" are utterly devoid of pics so I try to go above and beyond the norm. I always take a bunch of pics at a few angles and pick the best of the bunch. Having a decent camera helps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilline View Post
Your welding looks excellent , you using TIG by the look of it. Out of interest how many amps are you using and what size tungsten and filler wire ?
Thank you. I TIG weld everything since it's the only process I know. Here in 'Merica a rule of thumb is one amp per each thousandth of an inch. So if I'm welding 1/8" 0.125" (3.18mm ) I would set my machine to a bit over 125 amps, like 140 to give me some headroom. Of course in the end it's all about watching the puddle with TIG. So I usually just set my machine pretty high for the specific job then do the rest with the pedal control. As an extreme example of this my boss at my old job just left his machine maxed at 300 amps for everything.. He's been fabricating for over 30 years though.

Tungsten I usually use 99% of the time is 3/32" (2.38mm) and on most jobs I use 1/16" (1.59mm) filler. For the fat welds on the panhard bolt itself I used 1/8" (3.18mm) filler and around 180 amps.
Old Feb 18th, 2014, 09:40   #305
dheming

Finally got some used tires on Sunday afternoon. A few weeks ago I ordered a box of 1/2"-20 lug nuts from Summit racing to replace the old crusty ones. So now everything was ready to bolt the complete set of Hydra wheels on for the first time. The front is sitting high since there is no engine:

The rear is a bit lower than I anticipated at its current "stock" setting, but I will adjust for that when I get the real coilovers. Besides I want it tucking tire in the end anyways. Here's how it looks now:

This shot has no point but I liked it enough to include in the thread:

Tomorrow I'm moving the Amazon to my apartment parking lot. After that is done I will be all moved out of my shop. It's been a huge amount of work to do in a few months but the end is in sight.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:43   #306
dheming

So apparently AAA won't move a car that does not have an engine in it. Something about they're only for automotive emergencies and not for moving a car from here to there.. At least the guy was cool about it.

Luckily my neighbor has a nice flatbed truck so it's time for Plan B. Should have her home by tomorrow afternoon. It will actually be nice to be able to walk outside and work on her instead of driving across town to the shop.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 10:51   #307
Bartezz

I thought they were there to help you if your car won't run... isn't this one of those cases hehehe!
Bartezz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bartezz For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 12:57   #308
random_noise
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
So apparently AAA won't move a car that does not have an engine in it.
"No, honestly mate I just drove it here & parked up for 5 mins"

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 16:47   #309
nonhog

Default Aaa

Did they show up and say 'no' or did you explain it up front?
Just curious. Most Tow rigs are contractors for AAA and would rather tow than not. Nudge nudge, wink wink.
(http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332836)
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 07:05   #310
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonhog View Post
Did they show up and say 'no' or did you explain it up front?
Just curious. Most Tow rigs are contractors for AAA and would rather tow than not. Nudge nudge, wink wink.
I just told them on the phone that I was having mechanical problems, which is true. When he showed up he saw that there were no tail lights and seeing the front end so high looked under it right away. After that he knew what was going down and radioed in to HQ to ask if he could still move it. They refused. Emergencies only, no convenience tows. He said he didn't care personally, but the company has regulations. It's all good though, my neighbor with a flatbed is moving it tomorrow for $85. At this point I just want to get it done so we can turn in the shop keys.

Tags
4-link, big brakes, coilovers, spherical joints, wilwood brakes