Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

clutch cost

Views : 1113

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2018, 12:07   #11
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewst View Post
Arent newer phase2 1.9d volvo gearboxes?
They are indeed. They are using a Volvo M56 variant gearbox

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 18:37   #12
martin93

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Older cars that were around before the dmf was invented didn't go around blowing their gearboxes to bits all the time, yeah they do smooth out vibrations but not to the point where damage would result if they weren't there in the first place, my old bmw E36 328i had a failing dmf when I sold it, the new owner (one of my friends) fitted a single mass conversion and a lightened flywheel, and the car spent a lot of its time sideways on track (drifting) which works the drive train really hard, and although it did toast a diff or 2, never had an issue gearbox wise witjout the dual mass, I drove it a few times after it had the conversion and it was more revvy, eager, and just felt better in general.
Your friend's BMW 328i is a smooth 6 cylinder petrol, of course it's not going to damage anything. I would gladly fit a solid flywheel to a petrol V40, as my p1 petrol (never had a DMF fitted) is lovely and smooth. So Volvo's adoption of a DMF there was pointless.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 18:46   #13
martin93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewst View Post
Arent newer phase2 1.9d volvo gearboxes?
It doesn't matter. Just because it's Volvo doesn't mean its good. I had a 2.0 phase 2 with the M56 box, and it was a horrible thing. The input shaft bearing let go at 90K. My P1 with the Renault box is fab, and none of the petrol Renault boxes had a DMF. Just my experience though.

This is a pointless argument. There are many threads on the forums with wars for and against the DMF. I am an engineer, and to me, having something there to dampen out the vibrations from a harsh four cylinder DIESEL is a good idea. Especially if the car was designed and built with it. Having something there to dampen out the vibrations from a smooth four cylinder PETROL (look at the sassy capitals) is pointless which is why I would remove a DMF from a petrol V40 in a heartbeat.

Anyway, as I also pointed out in my original reply, which everyone seems to have ignored, I'm pretty sure a solid flywheel from an 850 won't fit a Renault diesel. Agreed? Just making sure the OP doesn't buy an 850 unit based on poor information.

Last edited by martin93; Oct 26th, 2018 at 18:54.
martin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 19:52   #14
dralphs

Getting back to the question, my local independent did mine about 18 months ago for £700
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dralphs For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 22:12   #15
HalV40

I would love to buy the friction plate and cover off Ebay for £150 and fit the thing myself but the missus would blow a gasket if I dripped oil on the driveway.

I'm just not sure if the car itself is worth a new clutch, what do you lot think? The car is in fair condition, only surface rust underneath, no sill rust. The front wings have rusted through but everything works in the car. It's a 2001 with 180k miles and cost £500 a year ago.
All the second hand cars out there are overpriced and the cheap ones are boxes on wheels and nothing like the spec on this old V40 so that kinda makes me think about keeping it and spending a bit on it.
HalV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 09:33   #16
Dippydog
Premier Member

If you like the car and it's suitable for your needs for the foreseeable future then I'd put a clutch in it,after all if you look to spend the same £500 you paid for this one on a "new" car what are you going to get that you like as much/better and that you're not going to have to spend further money on?If you decide to go with a clutch change you want to be looking at clutch plate,pressure plate and thrust bearing as a minimum-whether you change the dmf while it's apart would be your gamble.Is the slave cylinder inside the bell housing on these?If so you might want to change that at the same time.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 12:14   #17
canis
Non Fragile

Buying another secondhand car is always a gamble. You could shell out a huge wedge of money and be in the same situation a month from now. I'd change the clutch, and know (assuming you don't drive like my father-in-law) it's done for the rest of the life of the car.

Therefore the expression; Better the devil you know.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote