Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Retro fit R Design Steering Rack

Views : 812

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2018, 10:56   #1
Batlamb

Default Retro fit R Design Steering Rack

Hello All

I love my C30 but the steering is not the best. After doing a bit of research I understand the R Designs have improved Steering Racks. Has anyone fitted an R Design rack to an non R Design? If so was it an easy job?
Batlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:11   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batlamb View Post
Hello All

I love my C30 but the steering is not the best. After doing a bit of research I understand the R Designs have improved Steering Racks. Has anyone fitted an R Design rack to an non R Design? If so was it an easy job?
Steering racks are not related to the trim fitted to the car ...
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:31   #3
Batlamb

So are you saying that the steering set up is the same on a R Design as it is on my SE?
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:50   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So are you saying that the steering set up is the same on a R Design as it is on my SE?
yes all the same
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 11:54   #5
Batlamb

Well this is what the Volvo website is saying about the differences.

In order to meet the high standards, the R-Design chassis has been modified in several areas. The steering is more precise owing to the installation of stiffer bushings. The steering ratio is lower, giving 10 % faster response to steering wheel input. Spring stiffness has been increased by no less than 30 % in order to increase the car's poise in enthusiastic driving. The dampers too are stiffer and are now of the exclusive mono-tube type that builds up pressure much more quickly. The roll stabilizers are stiffer to reduce any leaning tendency when taking corners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batlamb For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 12:05   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

In order to meet the high standards, the R-Design chassis has been modified in several areas. The steering is more precise owing to the installation of stiffer bushings. The steering ratio is lower, giving 10 % faster response to steering wheel input. Spring stiffness has been increased by no less than 30 % in order to increase the car's poise in enthusiastic driving. The dampers too are stiffer and are now of the exclusive mono-tube type that builds up pressure much more quickly. The roll stabilizers are stiffer to reduce any leaning tendency when taking corners.
There are 4 different racks available you always have to look up the correct part number , differences are chassis number and whether they have a lock limiter built in ( for the very wide tyres ) they are all the same type of rack visually the same and not related to the trim in the parts listing ..

so if you need a new rack it needs looking up on the parts listing .
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 12:25   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

In my household we have an 2008 S40 T5 R-Design and a 2012 C30 2.0 R-Design.

From what I can gather, the only difference in steering is that the C30 has less available lock than the S40.. even though they have exactly the same size tyre! (205/50/17)

My S40 T5 has a fantastic turning circle as a result, whereas the C30's is nearly as bad as my old S60!

I don't notice the steering to be any more responsive in the C30 than the S40.. Though both have the factory strut brace so front end turn in is pretty sharp anyway.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 12:47   #8
kmb

Interesting discussion, surely R-Design relates to the chassis and trim (including rack), not just trim level? Since it rides lower on stiffer shocks etc.

As mentioned the correct way to check and confirm what you have is to start with the chassis number, I find Skandix really handy for doing this too via VIN.
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 17:05   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb View Post
Interesting discussion, surely R-Design relates to the chassis and trim (including rack), not just trim level? Since it rides lower on stiffer shocks etc.

As mentioned the correct way to check and confirm what you have is to start with the chassis number, I find Skandix really handy for doing this too via VIN.

nope
the confusion is due to the old "R" being a different beast to the normal volvo's
then volvo introduced the R-design and people wrongly assume its a "R" , it isnt "R-design" is JUST trim , usually the BOG BASE model with tarted up trim a "fancy" badge and hiked price.
"R-design" isnt a "R" of old its a **** poor pale comparison to a Proper "R"
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 20:32   #10
kmb

Quote:

Andy-D - I know what you're saying but the above is lifted straight from the 2010 onwards Volvo C30 catalogue, so the R Design on these cars did mean something different? I can see on mine (and other C30 R-Design of the same year) that they have a thicker front strut brace than the earlier ones and apparently the other things above?

So, agreed is was not an R in the old form for the R Design, but the above was not just trim when they re-modelled the C30 in 2010? Unless all the C30's had the changes above from 2010 onward, which would then make sense.

Last edited by kmb; Nov 18th, 2018 at 20:37.
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote