Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - D2, D3 or D4?

Views : 21375

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 20:37   #1
sirc67

Default V60 - D2, D3 or D4?

I have noticed that the 2013 tax and mpg listings for the D2, D3 and D4 are the same across the board. I was looking to go for for the D2 1.6 litre engine but as I found this car to be a little under-powered for the amount of commuting I do, it would be good to know the true mpg for the 2.0 litre variants?

Now that the D2, D3 and D4 cost the same in tax, what is the "real" mpg for these cars? If the true mpg is the same for all variants, surely it is a no brainer, go for the D4?

It would be great to hear comments from members in the know. Thanks.

Last edited by sirc67; Feb 25th, 2013 at 20:40.
sirc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:09   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

Just go for the D5 and enjoy yourself. Life is too damn short.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:12   #3
craigv60
Master Member

I've been running a V60 163bhp D3 manual (which would now be badged as the D4) for 24,000 miles in 21 months.

You can see my ownership impressions here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=174072.

The car has averaged a genuine 46.9mpg in my ownership (i.e. measured at the pump, not on the computer). My driving is about 35% motorway / open road, 65% urban journeys of under 10 miles. I like to use the performance, and there is quite a lot of it to use
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:27   #4
sirc67

Default It has to be a D4 then?

It will be a company car and 2.0 litre max allowed on scheme. It is looking like a D4 then? Thanks guys.

Any further feedback from members would be greatly appreciated. I will be placing my order next couple of days. I was tempted to go for a BMW 3 series Efficient Dynamics due to proven economy + performance but put off by saloon-only/lack practicality, lack of comfort v V60 plus cost of extras. For me the V60 has it all and it is just down to diesel engine choice.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:26   #5
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I have done 10,000 miles in 6 months in my D2 equivalent, it was called a DRIVe model when I picked it up. I am averaging 48-50mpg overall. On motorway journeys with just me in the car I manage 58mpg, with a full car it is 50-52mpg. My day to day journeys are mainly country lanes. The above are real figures not the computer.

When I ordered mine there was a marked difference between the emissions and mpg of the engine choices. Now they all seem to be the same, explanation anyone who is technical? Anyway, in your shoes I would go for the D4. I don't see the point of the D2 engine anymore if the figures from Volvo are to be believed. Even the pricing is close enough for it not to be a major issue. Let us know which one you choose.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 16:23   #6
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
I have done 10,000 miles in 6 months in my D2 equivalent, it was called a DRIVe model when I picked it up. I am averaging 48-50mpg overall. On motorway journeys with just me in the car I manage 58mpg, with a full car it is 50-52mpg. My day to day journeys are mainly country lanes. The above are real figures not the computer.

When I ordered mine there was a marked difference between the emissions and mpg of the engine choices. Now they all seem to be the same, explanation anyone who is technical? Anyway, in your shoes I would go for the D4. I don't see the point of the D2 engine anymore if the figures from Volvo are to be believed. Even the pricing is close enough for it not to be a major issue. Let us know which one you choose.
this will change for MY2014 though the D2 emissions will fall further than the rest bringing it down to around 110.

MY2013 yes they are all the same even the D5 is only 1g/km above the rest of the engine range.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 17:01   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
this will change for MY2014 though the D2 emissions will fall further than the rest bringing it down to around 110.

MY2013 yes they are all the same even the D5 is only 1g/km above the rest of the engine range.
You are quite correct but the difference in BIK between the D2 and D3/D4 is then only 1% which is again so marginal as to not worth worrying about. Going back two years or so the difference was about 4-5% and that was worth noticing.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 18:12   #8
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirc67 View Post
I will be placing my order next couple of days. I was tempted to go for a BMW 3 series Efficient Dynamics due to proven economy + performance but put off by saloon-only/lack practicality, lack of comfort v V60 plus cost of extras. For me the V60 has it all and it is just down to diesel engine choice.
I would look VERY closely at the 'Business Edition' spec, as it's got most of the toys (apart from satnav) and the list price is very tax friendly.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 23:36   #9
sirc67

Default Business Edition V60 - SatNav?

Hi Craig

I have seen a couple of posts stating that the Business Edition does not come with SatNav. The brochure can be quite misleading when you look at the listings but I can reveal that this spec DOES actually come with Integrated SatNav as standard making it a no brainer for me. Many of the other specs have a version listed with and without SatNav, which makes the Business Edition look as though it does not have it but it does!

From what I have seen, this spec is £5-6K under the SE spec but comes with standard basic alloys, less chrome bits inside and out, probably a darker plastic interior (No aluminium), no chrome bits on the steering wheel but includes all the gizmos and everything I need. Looks like a steal to me and I cannot understand why folks at my workplace go for a German badge, nil extras and less comfort. Shame I have to wait until August for my new D4
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 08:43   #10
craigv60
Master Member

Do you have to wait because of the order time for the car, or is that when your current arrangement ends?

I only have 3 niggles with my V60 -- 1) no clutch footrest 2) the radio controls are not well thought-out and 3) the Business Edition wasn't available when I got mine it would have saved me loads of BIK tax!